Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/238/175

Height: 5"4.5

Default Just Starting

Hello everyone,

I hope your experiences are seeing results.

I just started with Curves yesterday. I'm 24 and 238 pounds at 5'4". I want to at least get to under 200, with my ultimate goal of 175 .... then maybe more. High hopes.

I used to weigh 150. It's so frustrating. I gained a lot of weight my last years of college and then my year abroad after I graduated. Then I became sedimentary, and ate like cr*p.

My problems are:
- I need instant gratification. I want to see it come off quickly. I know that's unrealistic, but I committed to 4 days a week, with aspirations to go more. I just want to get some of this off quickly! UGH!

-I'm afraid of cravings. I just got home from the grocery store and saw sweets and just darted in the other direction. I'm so scared of cheating. I'm one to make excuses.

Any advice? Tips? Experiences at this weight?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!!!!
goldiegirlrtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

My advice summed up (cause I could go on for hours)
-Journal EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. Whether on paper or on a program
-Drink plenty of water
-Don't ever think of something as a cheat. My advice? "Saturday I'm going to have a burger with a small fry". There, it's PLANNED, therefore it's not a cheat
-MAKE MINI GOALS! I can't stress that enough. If you make a goal of losing 30 lbs off the bat, you're going to get discouraged because that is going to take some time. Make a goal to lose 5, reward yourself with a non food item. Make a goal to fit into those cute jeans that are a bit tight, reward yourself with a non food item. Before you know it, you'll be down 30+lbs!

Don't kill yourself in the gym. If you do that, chances are you won't stay motivated. For me I tried to start running and just "went at it". And when I couldn't run for more than a minute (yikes!) I got discouraged and gave up on the spot. It took some serious self motivating to get my butt back in there. Do what you can handle and with exercise its the same, set mini goals. Run for a minute straight, walk be proud of yourself. In a couple weeks try for 2 minutes straight, then 3 and so on.

I've done plenty of research and this is what I've chosen to do:
Count calories with the LoseIt! app (there are plenty of different apps) on my phone.
Chart my exercise. I'm just starting an intense heavy weight lifting program (The new rules of lifting for women;its a book). Drinking plenty of water. Going for a 30 minute walk at least 3 times a week.

I know I'm forgetting things but like I said I'd go on forever if you let me.

Biggest tip: Weight loss is at least 80% or more about what you put in your mouth, not about what you put out at the gym. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Good luck! and welcome to 3FC!

Last edited by Remington90; 05-29-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington90 View Post
My advice summed up (cause I could go on for hours)
-Journal EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. Whether on paper or on a program
-Drink plenty of water
-Don't ever think of something as a cheat. My advice? "Saturday I'm going to have a burger with a small fry". There, it's PLANNED, therefore it's not a cheat
-MAKE MINI GOALS! I can't stress that enough. If you make a goal of losing 30 lbs off the bat, you're going to get discouraged because that is going to take some time. Make a goal to lose 5, reward yourself with a non food item. Make a goal to fit into those cute jeans that are a bit tight, reward yourself with a non food item. Before you know it, you'll be down 30+lbs!

Don't kill yourself in the gym. If you do that, chances are you won't stay motivated. For me I tried to start running and just "went at it". And when I couldn't run for more than a minute (yikes!) I got discouraged and gave up on the spot. It took some serious self motivating to get my butt back in there. Do what you can handle and with exercise its the same, set mini goals. Run for a minute straight, walk be proud of yourself. In a couple weeks try for 2 minutes straight, then 3 and so on.

I've done plenty of research and this is what I've chosen to do:
Count calories with the LoseIt! app (there are plenty of different apps) on my phone.
Chart my exercise. I'm just starting an intense heavy weight lifting program (The new rules of lifting for women;its a book). Drinking plenty of water. Going for a 30 minute walk at least 3 times a week.

I know I'm forgetting things but like I said I'd go on forever if you let me.

Biggest tip: Weight loss is at least 80% or more about what you put in your mouth, not about what you put out at the gym. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Good luck! and welcome to 3FC!
Well, there you have it. I'm not sure what to add...oh wait, I know.

Learn what your triggers are. I don't deny myself any food. For me, knowing that I can't have it makes me stubborn and obstinate, so I'm going to have it! But I'll end up having waaaay too much. Plus denying myself it makes me think about it all the time, which doesn't help either.

Another trigger for me is chips. I allow myself a portioned out bag, but I don't keep them in the house, and I can't buy a large bag, because I'll eat them all at once.

Good luck! You can do this!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I agree with everything everyone else has said. My one extra piece of advice is make sure you are doing something that is sustainable. You've probably heard/read it everywhere but this is a lifestyle change. If you don't feel satisfied eating 1300 calories, try 1400 or 1500. Whenever I felt too restricted in my calories or told myself there were off limit foods, I'd end up binging. So instead everything can be eaten, however it's all about proper portion control. After living in Korea for 5 years, I've learned Western portions are way too large. Figure out what a normal portion should be and eat that, trust me it is enough!! So with that being said, I guess by a food scale.

Good luck to you.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/238/175

Height: 5"4.5

Today I calculated that I ate 1450 calories. I burned about 400. I worked out again at Curves, this time doing 20 min on the treadmill and the computer system said I improved my workout. Though at the end when I weighed myself (stupid idea - i know) I gained a pound.

I'm going again tomorrow! Hopefully can eat well too - need to incorporate more protein
goldiegirlrtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiegirlrtg View Post
Today I calculated that I ate 1450 calories. I burned about 400. I worked out again at Curves, this time doing 20 min on the treadmill and the computer system said I improved my workout. Though at the end when I weighed myself (stupid idea - i know) I gained a pound.

I'm going again tomorrow! Hopefully can eat well too - need to incorporate more protein
I figured this out, because I appreciated someone figuring it out for me in the start. I went through the calculations of your BMR (basil Metabolic Rate).

For you to lose 2lbs a week you'd need to eat:
1910 (2410 for 1 lbs a week) calories a day on a MODERATE exercise program. (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week)

1582 (2502 for 1 lbs a week) calories a day on a LIGHT exercise program. (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week)

By eating approx. 1400-1500 a day, without eating those calories back, will most likely be more detrimental then positive. Think of it like this, you start with lifestyle change with 1400-1500 a day. What happens when you hit a plateau and you need to decrease that by 100-200. Then you're eating 1200-1300 calories a day. Then you hit another plateau. Then you go below 1000 and that's not suggested (unless doctor supervised). If you're going to be working out you need to fuel your body or you'll either get hurt, or not be able to maintain this in a healthy way.

I'm not bashing what you're doing, just trying to help. I'd up your calories and go from there. I don't eat 100% of my workout calories back. If I work off 400 in a day, and am only HUNGRY enough for 200? Then so be it. Great, I have an even bigger deficit that day. But if you burned off 400, and you're STARVING, eat them back. Our bodies are designed to gradually lose weight so we can maintain it. You don't want to jump the gun, trust me. You didn't gain the weight overnight.

Hope I don't anger you by this, like I said, someone educated em and helped me in the beginning and I greatly appreciate it. I probably wouldn't still be on this plan without some help.

Last edited by Remington90; 05-30-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/229/170

Height: 5-8

If you are looking for gratification, why don't you try pinning it to something other than the scale? If you stick to your meal plan for a day, or half a day or even one meal, isn't that gratifying? If you plan to exercise after work and you actually go even though you are tired, isn't that gratifying?

Try readjusting your thinking. Find victory in something other than the weight you lost.
craftygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

one of the things that seems to be helping me is to chart my weight loss. I weigh everyday and put it in a line chart. It fluctuates everyday, but the overall trend is definitely lower. I also calculate my loss per day/week/month. That way, even on days that I weigh higher, I can see that my plan is still working. (Is there anything more frustrating than staying on plan and not losing or even gaining?!) Good luck to you!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote