General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm on the No-Diet Plan

Ok, so maybe I lied about the name of the title. I'm not on any plan, I don't know if that diet name even exists, lol. What the title means is that I'm no longer following a diet. I'm been on SOOO many diets, it was crazy. I just hit a point in life that when I looked back at the bigger picture, I realized that if I just cut back on junk food and not do a fad-diet, I'd probably be at my goal weight right now. I also thought of the future. I don't want to be constantly thinking of food & exercise. I just want to live life and enjoy good food and stay active I'm not counting calories, carbs, points, etc. Just trying to make healthier choices and do some exercise when I can. It feels really good, not having to worry all the time. I have a water bottle with me, I'm not forcing it down. Just drinking when I'm thirsty. I have almonds for when I really can't wait for the next meal. I snack constantly. I try to keep my breakfasts & lunches light so that I can enjoy a meal at dinner. It's really relaxing. I only started this week so it's still new and I don't know how fast I'll lose weight. All I know is I'm more happy than when I was dieting. I went walking last night up the road for 30 mins and let me tell you, it was really nice.

Anyone else out there just winging it?
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

Good for you for making a decision that works for you. I am trying to get to that point too. My disordered eating over the years has really messed up my relationship with food. All I think about is food all day long and trying to lose weight. It really sucks!!!!! Good luck to you
kellycg102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I was trying to do WW, but then I decided not to, and just to watch what I am eating instead. Part of it is that counting points (or calories, or whatever) is just so time consuming, and it really made me think about food all the time, even when I wasn't hungry. And the other part is that I am in training for my field hockey season this fall, and it wouldn't be good for me to be eating so little while trying to build muscle and stamina. But I think as long as I am conscious of what I am eating, it should be okay. Good luck!
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #4  

Thank you!! It's such a money-gimmick, with all the weight loss stuff.
People kept telling me to do what I do now and stop dieting, but I just wanted to lose weight so badly that I didn't listen. I guess I learned the hard way!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #5  

I'm excited for you!! I hope it works and you come back to report awesome results!!

I think I will be on a diet of some sort for the rest of my life. I have no self control or eye for portions even after all this time. I want to be more like you but I don't think it's possible. So envious of you!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #6  

@Elvislover324: I was like you, until I got really depressed of not being able to find a diet I could stick for life & summer fast approaching. But I have a somewhat plan in my head. I normally eat the same thing each morning so it's pretty easy. I eat a whole-grain english muffin with peanut butter with my coffee (I put coffee-mate & sugar in it!) and I eat frozen entres for my lunches (I try to stay 300 and below) and then I just eat whatever I want for my dinner but I try to eat small portions and don't go for seconds. Snacks right now are granola bars and I keep almonds in my desk for hunger emergencies, hehe! I was actually thinking of having smoothies for breakfast but I haven't gotten to there yet. I might just do smoothie every other day and have my english muffin the other days. We'll see I guess ;-) Thanks for encouraging words. I really hope you're able to find something that works for you.

I'll be updating you guys from time to time to tell you how it goes. I weigh in on Mondays so I'll do a weekly update.

Last edited by SophieCormier; 05-29-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #7  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Hey, welcome! I'm on a non-diet too, the best place I fit is in the Intuitive Eating thread (we're on #18) so stop by and check it out if you haven't already! IE does have books, ideas, guidelines etc... But it doesn't actually have any rules, everyone in the thread is working out what works for them
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #8  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Awesome! There is a IE thread on this board, it's called Intuitive Eating, eat what you want, eat only when hungry and stop when approaching full. Good luck and God Bless.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shiv View Post
Hey, welcome! I'm on a non-diet too, the best place I fit is in the Intuitive Eating thread (we're on #18) so stop by and check it out if you haven't already! IE does have books, ideas, guidelines etc... But it doesn't actually have any rules, everyone in the thread is working out what works for them
I'm also doing intuitive eating, eat when hungry, stop when full.

Shiv is right, there's plenty of books, ideas, and guidelines. I haven't read any of them, I get a lot from the thread alone. She's also right that every one has tailored it to fit their individual needs and personalities.

Isn't it amazingly freeing to not be on a "diet" and having to follow someone else's rules, and eat the food they deem appropriate?

I wish you the best of luck!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #10  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Intuitive Eating is a non-diet which is actually a diet..
The major rules are to eat when hungry and stop when full or when satisfied.

This non-diet Diet is based on the undocumented (and erroneous) principle
that an obese person's body will tell one what, and how much to eat
in order to become and stay a normal weight.

Like most other diets, IE has failed to work for thousands of people,
and IE.. just like all other diet plans.. takes no responsibility for this,
but instead blames the people who are unable to incorporate it into their daily lives.

I'm just saying...
No Magic Bus here.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #11  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
Intuitive Eating is a non-diet which is actually a diet..
The major rules are to eat when hungry and stop when full or when satisfied.

This non-diet Diet is based on the undocumented (and erroneous) principle
that an obese person's body will tell one what, and how much to eat
in order to become and stay a normal weight.

but instead blames the people who are unable to incorporate it into their daily lives.

I'm just saying...
No Magic Bus here.
It sounds like you had a bad experience with IE What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

I mean, I've lost 23lbs with it so far, and have finally fixed my relationship with food and stopped bingeing. But I know everyone's experience is different!
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

MEEEE!!!! And I love it I've found that I am just much happier doing this than anything else. I tried so hard to stay in my calorie range, but I was always hungry and unhappy because I was hungry! I think that range was good for my height and weight but did NOT take into account how many calories I was burning through heavier weight training...and I don't know how to see how many calories I'm burning when weight training.

When I lost weight before, I also did things this way. I waited for hunger signals, gave myself an hour or two after those came up to eat, ate well, and worked out every day. I didn't have "empty" calories (like alcohol), and I focused my eating on good nutrition. I'm sure I still had chocolate from time to time, but I don't remember once feeling deprived. I just made good choices.

This time around, I've even stopped weighing myself. I don't want to see that lack of progress anymore. I'm eating when I'm hungry, I'm trying not to snack for the sake of snacking, and I'm eating what I want (within reason). If I want 2 bowls of cereal a day, I'm gonna have it! I am active in ways I enjoy, and I notice my body changing in a positive way. I'll probably weigh myself at the end of the summer, in the hopes that my weight will have gone down, but I certainly won't use that as a progress measurement.
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #13  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good for you!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
Humm...that's interesting - especially considering you are a member of the Donut Whispering group on FB.

Since you obviously don't favor IE - and that's exactly what that group supports - I have to wonder why you joined it in the first place?

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 06-01-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: corrected
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

One non-diet plan I love is the French Women Don't Get Fat idea. I have had good luck on it when I want to just maintain and do moderate exercise. I definitely will go back to those principles once I reach my goal weight.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote