Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/149/132

Height: 5'3"

Talking Need some help - post op

I need to do that. I've done gastric bypass surgery, lost a lot of weight but I've been on a stall for ages... I am very afraid os it though. I suffer when I have no carbs, to the point that I can't even fall asleep if I don't have any carbs. And more, they say to not go cold turkey on cafeine, and I am addicted to Coke Zero. I don't know what to do.
AdriBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Hi Adri! as you can see, with moderator magic, I've made your post its own thread - it'll get more attention. welcome aboard!

Looks like you've done very well after your surgery - even though you are stalled. It's a sad fact of life that the closer we get to goal, the slower it goes. Why do you think the pouch test is the best way for you to go right now? have you taken a good, hard, honest look at what you're eating and how you're exercising?

sometimes tweaking either of these will help break a stall - our bodies get comfortable with the same routine. More protein, more water, perhaps doing intervals with the exercise, can all help.

and, although i DO understand the Coke Zero thing, soda isn't the best thing for ANYONE to be drinking a lot of, but especially those of us who've had bypass surgery. There are stories about people having expanded their pouch by drinking soda, so if that's what you're concerned about, you may want to consider not drinking it at all, at least until you get this stall broken. and then TRY not to go back to it.

keep us posted!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #3  

Default Cool!

Thanks for bringing up my post.

I'm in a tough situtation right now. I am alone with 3 kids (not even 1 relative or friend in town) which makes it hard enough for me to go to work even, finding time to exercise is virtuall impossible.

I don't believe my pouch has stretched. I am just desperate as I've come back from a business trip to California (where 1 gained 3lbs) almost 1 month ago and despite my efforts, my weight remains the same.

Here in Brazil, no one ever talks about the 5 days pouch test but as I used to live in the UK, I've seen it in UK forums.

I do understand how bad soda is, for everyone, specially people who have gone through WLS, I know I should not have it, but it's the only thing I feel I can have and will not make me put weight on. I have a huge issue with anxiety, if I don't have it, I eat like crazy.

Yeah, I know, I'm a mess... I do see a psychiatrist on a regular basis, I am taking care of myself... but I guess it takes some time...

Thanks for your support! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #4  

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time with no family or friends for support nearby.

How about trying flavored water instead of diet coke. Add slices or lemon or cucumber or a few strawberries or lime slices.

Cola type drinks are bad for everyone because they are hard on your kidneys.

You don't have to go to a gym or do an exercise DVD. Movement is exercise and with 3 children could you just play with them or take them for walks?

The ladies here are very nice and helpful so keep posting and you'll have online friends for support and advice.

Good luck!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I recently gave up caffeine completely. I realized that I wasn't addicted the the caffeine but to having a drink in my hand constantly, so I switched to diet caffeine free soda.

I quit it cold turkey, and the only side effect I ran into was a headache for a couple of days, which some ibuprofen took care of. It really CAN be done.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriBR View Post
I'm in a tough situtation right now. I am alone with 3 kids (not even 1 relative or friend in town) which makes it hard enough for me to go to work even, finding time to exercise is virtuall impossible.
If you are seeing a therapist, would he/she/you consider doing your session while you walk? If they don't want to walk with you, perhaps you could march in place or just pace during your sessions. I know it's unorthodox, but it might be worth a try. (I'm a single mom working full time, so I know how hard it is to fit in exercise.)
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #7  

Default Thanks!

thanks for all the responses guys.

I know it sounds like I am making excuses but I don't think I am. If you think differently, feel free to kick me in the backside! lol

I am not seeing any therapist as there isn't any in the small town I live in (ridiculous, I know).

About the coke zero issue, I don't think my main challenge in giving it up would be the cafeine. As mentioned in this thread, a few headache tablets should be enough to handle the headache. The problem is, I am a mess myself, I have anxiety and depression so I tend to control whatever "screams louder" inside of me. I do see a psychiatrist but only once a month. I do take medication for anxiety, depression, panic and insomnia.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

BREATHE, Adri - I'm getting exhausted just reading your posts! the stress is really coming through!

let's start with this: can you think of ONE thing you'd like to change to help you get back on track? is it something to do with exercise? or something to do with what you eat? or why you eat? or when you eat? or even how you eat [like chewing your food enough, or taking big bites, or whatever]?

I've never met a single person who's qualified for surgery and who had a good relationship with food, and therefore, we ALL have work to do after surgery. it's been more than 10 years since my surgery and i'm AMAZED on a regular basis that stuff keeps coming up to derail me.

There are SOOOO many different aspects to weight loss that it's impossible to identify and deal with them all at the same time. But working on one thing at a time can help A LOT, just because it's taking control.

BTW, I realised really quickly after my surgery that I used eating [that sensation of something in my mouth] to ground myself. And i started drinking strongly flavored teas. cinnamon, lemon spice, whatever. and it made all the difference for me. i had something in my mouth that i could taste, and NO CALORIES!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/190?130

Hi Adri,

I am very new only having had my surgery 10th April.

The first month was overwhelming learning to eat and still look after a family of 3. Fortunately I have a wonderful husband who helps but still juggling families needs with you own can be alot to handle aswell.

I am currently chatting to a gentleman in our town that is wanting to also have the surgery regarding the positive side, he is over weight but the main problem is he is inactive and suffers from depression.

One thing that i have learnt through exercising is that when I feel down I go for a walk, fortunately I live at the coast and I walk barefoot on the sand. This is absolute therapy for me, it has been proven that exercise (no matter how short) and sun helps with depression.

if you have a park nearby, take the children for a walk , a dog? short walk just before supper. This part of the program your children can help with, explain to them you need their help to make sure you get your butt out the door 5 times a week. It takes 3 weeks for a routine to become habit and believe me after 3 weeks you will miss those walks and they don't happen and they will become longer and more fun. So grit your teeth and push through the first 3 weeks they wont be easy but so worth it.

Chat to someone , a friend even if it is via email or online expressing your feelings to someone helps>

Hugs
DaleenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #10  

Default Thanks everyone

I've just completed day 1 - it was easy except for the late night bit. After 10 pm the carb cravings kick in big time. So I had some more soup (to feel full) and 2 strawberries (a little carb). Too bad I forgot to puree the strawberries - I hope it won't mess up the whole thing.

Last edited by AdriBR; 06-01-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

adri - we ARE allowed some carbs - high quality ones. whole grains, fruit, things like that. preferably eaten with some protein. i was told that for the first 12-18 months to limit them to 15 grams per eating episode [that's about 1 slice bread, 1/2 c rice, 1/2 pasta, a piece of fruit]. there's NOTHING wrong with making yourself a nice fruit and cheese snack before bed, with maybe a couple of crackers. and trust me - if you were going to have trouble with not pureeing the strawberries, you would have known it within the first half hour!!

this is all about figuring out what works for you and what doesn't. how's the soda drinking coming, BTW?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #12  

Default 3 lbs down?

Is that even possible?
Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
adri - we ARE allowed some carbs - high quality ones. whole grains, fruit, things like that. preferably eaten with some protein. i was told that for the first 12-18 months to limit them to 15 grams per eating episode [that's about 1 slice bread, 1/2 c rice, 1/2 pasta, a piece of fruit]. there's NOTHING wrong with making yourself a nice fruit and cheese snack before bed, with maybe a couple of crackers. and trust me - if you were going to have trouble with not pureeing the strawberries, you would have known it within the first half hour!!

this is all about figuring out what works for you and what doesn't. how's the soda drinking coming, BTW?
I'm just too scared to eat them and mess up the whole thing... but I'll check what I eat on the table and see how much carb there is. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
For some reason I'm not drinking much. It is tasting funny.