South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/164/135

Height: 5'4

Default How to get over the "I have to eat this way" for the rest of my life issue?

Hi everyone! I am new here (well, I haven't been on this site in a long time!). After I had my second child, I did weight watchers and went from 164 to about 144 (I am 5'4). I never got to my goal weight of 135 because the closer I got to goal, the more I panicked! I didn't want to "count points" for the rest of my life. I maintained 150 for a long time and in the last few months am back up to 165. I have no idea how I let this happen because it seemed like I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted and stay around 150, which I wasn't even that comfortable with.

I have done SB before and know it works, but I have commitment issues with healthy eating and always give up and sabotage myself, even if its working great. How do I stay motivated? How do I face this fear of the maintenance phase? I started today and really want to follow through. Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 164/164/135

Height: 5'4

Not one single comment?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliepie07 View Post
Not one single comment?
Patience, my dear. I know that I, personally, just got in to work...so I was fast asleep when you posted this, LOL

I think your best bet is going to be to talk to someone who is actually maintaining and see how they deal w/ it. I am not there yet, so I'm afraid I have no insight. For me, knowing how much better I feel when I stay on plan is a big motivating factor. Still, though, sometimes I find myself reaching for a brownie or other goodie. Perhaps regular cheat nights would help??? Not too often, obviously, but maybe once or twice a month???
Old 05-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliepie07 View Post
Not one single comment?
I was at work by 7 AM. It's 6pm and I just walked in the door. I'm probably not much help, either. I have a feeling I'm much older than you ( I'm 55), post menopause and I'm not looking to get under 165. I have been following SBD principles for 4 years now and I have never felt better. My DH eats thus way, too, although he is a stick man and we plan on eating this way for the rest of our lives. We have both made a lifestyle change. Perhaps you will find more answers here. Patience...this is a very busy crew especially with the start of Summer/gardening/work etc

Best wishes!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Yes it is a busy crew On a 5:00 am train and not home until 8:45 pm. If I can manage this way of life eating all my meals out of the house on work days anyone can. I am in the middle between Natasha and Debbie at 41. I am a lifetime WW member, technically, but unlike WW I am able to stick with SB without too much thought. I know what I should eat and what can only be a special occasion treat. I have been on SB over a year and maintaining quite nicely.

In the past I have completely managed to undue my success. For me I actually feel different, better, healthier and happier on SB. I don't measure my food or count calories. I am really learning how to listen to my body and not the annoying little voice trying to derail me. Being here checking in daily truly helps me. I look forward to reading posts getting to know the chicks.

Also, I seem to keep stepping out of my comfort zone which is really impressing me. I've let my own insecurities hold me back. Not any more!

Don't look at this journey as how you will stay motivated or live this way forever. Take it one day at a time. As the pounds and the inches come off you will like what you see which should help keep you motivated.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

I also have done WW. Reached lifetime years ago but stopped going and stopped following the plan and regained plus. The story of my dieting life, actually. I did the same with SB more than once.

I'm not sure you'll like my response I am a classic yo-yo dieter. What I found is that I'd reach goal with SB then on PH3 allow more and more foods that I used to eat but had given up while still losing. I'd gradually gain. Slip back into old eating habits. I believe that IF I EAT WHAT I USED TO EAT I WILL WEIGH WHAT I USED TO WEIGHT.

So, what does that mean for me and my eating? I pretty much live in PH 1.5 or PH2. I have found that my tastes have changed. I've developed new habits. I eat veggies every day! Major change for me. I eat more protein than I used to. And I have also learned that there are just some foods I don't handle well in moderation. I do best when I don't have them in the house. For me these are things like crackers and, sigh, bread. And cereal.

BUT - this doesn't mean I don't eat anything or everything ever. I indulge but I don't do that as part of my daily routine. When I go out to a restaurant, which isn't often, I eat what I want most of the time. When I go to a party, same thing. The key for me is to stay on track before the indulgence and get right on track immediately after.

Honestly, for me I think that I will have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life. Like many of the other chicks, I am finding it harder and harder as I get older. (I just turned 50!) And I've had injuries so have been very limited in my exercise in the past couple of years.

I hate to repeat the cliches but they are all true... it is a lifestyle. But I have found this lifestyle very doable and much easier than counting points.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

I have tried a few other diets, usually on sticking to them for 3 - 4 weeks, before getting sick of the food choices.
Which is why I think I have had much success on SBD (though admittedly it took a few false starts to really get myself to a point where I was commited) There is just so much in the way of choices, its hard to get bored with what you eat. But really, there is no reason to be scared of the lifestyle change... I spend most of my time in the made up in between 1.5 phase, because it is not only where I am comfortable, but where I also get to be a little creative, coming up with tasty substitues for old favourites.

That being said, I have never been one to head off to Mcdonalds for lunch every thursday or what have you, so all my substitutions are still based on homemade (whole) foods.

Also, something to keep in mind, when you reach the maintenance phase there is no reason (if you can control yourself) that you cant indulge in a small treat on special occasions. A small piece of cake on your birthday, your cousins famous potatos at christmas... as long as you have the will power to get back on track right away, it will not do much harm to your weight.

Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck in your own personal journey!

Closing this thread. The OP has not been back since her original two posts. Thanks for the responses. If and when she returns she will be able to see that it is closed and may ask for it to be re-opened.

Ruth xxx
Closed Thread