Old 05-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default "Big Oil" is child's play next to "Big Food"

ha, no kidding right? it's like the universe is competing to see how it can kill off the human race the fastest LOL

In my mailbox:

no less than 30 (THIRTY) coupons for fast food
a "buy $20 get $30" offer at Dairy Queen
a reminder that garbage-pail sized sodas at McDonald's are $1 all summer

and then my email is filled with QR codes to scan with my phone for more discounts for sh!tty fastfood burgers.

And then I look at a good friend with teenaged kids, and she's fed them "A 1940s farmers diet" since birth -- meat & potatoes, homemade pies once in a while, butter, cream, just nothing processed. These are the best looking kids I've ever seen LOL bursting with good health, shiny hair, perfect teeth, energy up the wazooooo

Our world is fkked up

*annnnd RANT COMPLETED****
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I understand your frustrations.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #3  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

It most definitely is!

Educating myself on food and the whys and wherefores of how it's marketed to us has scared the crap out of me. I am very much looking to being armed with this knowledge when I have kids of my own.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/149.4/140

I can throw a stick and hit a fast food place. I live in an urban area and seriously within less than two miles from my house we have Burger King, 2 7-11's, McDonalds, a KFC/Taco Bell combo store, Rally's, Hardees, Little Ceasars, Arby's and not to mention the chinese restruarants and non chain places. If you went a couple more miles you would have any other one that wasn't on this street!

At my daughter's school I see SO MANY heavy kids. My daughter has put on some weight herself. Since I have started losing weight we get out and walk quite a bit and she does her dance games every day. It's a shame fast food is so easy to get to (and cheap). One green pepper is 76 cents though! No farmers market close by either. I love summer though and enjoy all the donated veggies. Maybe I will do some myself this year. Never have tried it before.
loganandlivsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

True story. I just paid close to 8 dollars for a salad from the Co op salad bar when I could have gone through the mcdonald's drive thru and got 3 cheeseburgers for the same price.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #6  

Anyone else think these coupons are a sign they are hurting? I also took BKs revamp of it menu as a sign they are about to have to cut back. Although I still go to McDonalds from time to time - I get a grilled snack wrap. I have to really commend them for putting the calories on the menu.

What really upsets me is the tricky "healthy" food peddlers. There was a story in my area about them steaming veggies at a local market's hot bar with sugar. No one would have ever thought of that. And a study in my area that said most regular restaurants have like 1200 calories in one meal.
Emma4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: See sig...

Processed food is hard to avoid. I am surprised i have been able to lose what I have on mostly frozen dinners. But ya know, you do what you gotta do right? I wish I had the time/money to live of a 1940's farmers diet LOL. That sounds so nice .
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Was married to an "oil man" for 26 years. Saw that industry from the inside. And Trazey, you are so right!!!!

It has taken me years to pare down my diet to the point where the only "processed" food I buy are cheese/butter/cream made from organic grass-fed dairy, a few organic condiments (coconut aminos, Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar, etc.), and pole-caught canned tuna. It was much easier to reduce my carbon footprint by not driving my car and walk everywhere.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote