Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #1  

Question Help, I need encouragement

I have been over weight ALL of my life starting at the age of 2. When I was 9, I weight over 100lbs, when I was 12, I weight 165, and it just keeps going. I was never taught the right principles of eating, portion control, healthy foods, and now at age 41, I am a compulsive over eater. I just can't seem to stop. My mind knows what it needs to do, but I can't seem to follow it. One of my more serious problems in trying to lose weight is I need to see immediate results to keep going. 1lb a week is not enough for me to work hard and see little results. It's discouraging. Ive always had the need for instant results, which is why shopping is both my friend and enemy. It's quick and immediate. I know that losing weight will not happen as fast as gaining it but the cycle I'm on is a vicous one that will eventually lead me to be 500lbs if I'm not careful. For instance, I lost 6lbs last week and in 3 days I gained 2 of them back. Its like that always, I lose 5 I will gain 2-3. One step forward, 2 steps back. I've been trying to lose the same 10 lbs for a year. I feel like its not worth it because i work hard, then i see that the work is in vain because I immediately gain it back and then some. I lost 100lbs 16 years ago, and I gained 130 back in less then 2 years. When I try to exercise, walk or ride, I don't feel like 15 minutes to start out is enough, or will make a difference. I know I can push myself to an hour, but I get burnt out on day 3 and stop completely. I want to be one of those people that desire and need to work out religiously, not one of those fanatics, but someone that can keep the cycle going. I want to jog, I want to do marathons, I want to hike, climb, and be active all the time. I need all the help I can get. Please.....give me some encouragement. Thank you all for your time.
305lbs is today's weight. Goal is 145. Seems IMPOSSIBLE! I tried to do the little ticker thing, but it wont let me.
cbreeze987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Have you considered a very structured diet with a lot of support? This will keep you losing weight fast and as consistently as possible.

I felt a lot like you and then started the HMR diet. It's not available everywhere, although they do have an "at-home" option, but I am losing 2-3 lbs every week and I started at 205 lbs. Some of the bigger people in my class lost 4 or 6 lbs a week lbs! And that's every week, as long as you stick to the diet.

Other options might be ideal protein or medifast if they have clinics near you. Jenny Craig is also very structured, but the calories are higher so you don't lose as much weight every week, but it still is pretty consistent. Personally, I believe in a "ripping off the bandaid approach" and went for the most intense, fastest weight loss diet, and it's paid off in spades. I'm 35 lbs down in 15 weeks now. Some of the people in my class have lost over 60 lbs in 15 weeks!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #3  

I had checked into the medifast diet, bought some of their items as a trial package, wound up giving it to a friend because it was disgusting. I need to learn how to eat for life so it keeps me from trying the traditional or accelerated diet, because I know me, once it's done, I will soar back up. I do thank you for your advise tho. Congrats on weight loss!!!
cbreeze987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #4  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

How about something like metabolic research center? Their program is built on real food and checking in one-on-one with a consultant, twice a week, who will teach you how to eat for life.

You can also call your insurance company and see if you have any visits to a nutritionist included in your plan. Also- have you had your thyroid and hormones checked? And are you taking a good multi-vitamin and fish oil?

After a few months, I have discovered how to eat for life. I feel as if I'm just living in maintenance while becoming healthier everyday. A big part of that had to do with me discovering intuitive eating- http://www.intuitiveeating.org/conte...tuitive-eating
There is even a thread for it here at 3FC: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ting-18-a.html

It seems so common sense. Why hasn't it occurred to me before? Only eat when I'm hungry...only eat delicious things.

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 05-22-2013 at 01:40 PM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I like Weight Watchers a lot, because it helps you to build a healthy lifestyle more than dieting. There are ways to do it at home with a little online research instead of paying for the website or the meetings, but the extra support of the meetings helps a lot of people. If you think it would be worth the money, do it!

I have trouble over eating, too. I can eat all day if I let myself. Instead, I try to drink a lot of water, which surprisingly really does make me feel full. And distracting myself from food is great, too. Try finding a hobby that you really enjoy. I love reading, drawing, and puzzles, all of which I can do for hours and not think about food the whole time. Sometimes I have even skipped a meal without realizing it because I was so into my book.

Not seeing results right away is frustrating for me as well. IF I don't lose any weight 2 days in, I think "Oh, it's not working. Guess I can stop now because it won't make a difference anyway." But if I do keep at it for awhile, even a week, I start to notice a difference. Maybe not on the scale right away, but I feel so much better. Drinking enough water and eating vegetables makes me feel healthy and happy, and my body is happier with me too. But is is frustrating. That's why I put the quote after my ticker, because it is something I need to remind myself every day or else I will slip back. Now, I am pretty much just starting Weight Watchers this week, but I already feel better about myself. Not because I look any different yet, but I know I am fueling my body with the right things.

As for your ticker, you need to have a certain amount of posts (either 20 or 25 I think) before it lets you have one
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #6  
Aruba Trip in August

S/C/G: 195/180/150

Height: 5'3"

Thumbs up Try Ideal Protein

I've been battling with my weight for a very long time. In my house my mom made sure we always had the food we wanted and when I grew older I would eat junk..I know you can do it..I can be your buddy! Let's Go!!:carro t:
shoesandboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #7  
Faith of a mustard seed

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Height: 5'6

I'm just going to be frank here. One of the things that I've found is that there is NEVER going to be an easy fix. If we do see more than 3 or 4 lbs a week, then the chances of us gaining that back are significantly increased. We have to break down the wall of " I can't". YES YOU CAN! And somehow or another we always find ways to get what we want when it is so important to us that we won't stop until we get it. We live in an instant gratification world. We want what we want and we want it now. Our whole world revolve around "I"... we have even named our phones and tablets after the word. We need to think in terms of "good things come to those who work for them". Even if it's not quite how we wanted them. Maybe your only going to lose 1 lb a week....but that is STILL GOOD!! Maybe it will give you that push that we all need to work a little harder and get to 2 lbs....
I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS! Why? Because I'm am the queen of procrastination. I have no will power whatsoever. But once I joined this site and worked my tail off, I have seen the results and the joy that I feel and the pride I have in the good work I am doing pushes me forward. Seeing all these other fine ladies/gents get results too is also a driving force.
It will not be fixed in a year...this is a lifestyle change.... a total body and mind makeover.. and it starts the day you say, "I'M IN!"
Good luck...get motivated and look forward to a new you!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Last edited by Gonna Get There Soon; 05-23-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Gonna Get There Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #8  
Faith of a mustard seed

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Height: 5'6

Also, I noticed you said you will have a huge loss, and then gain it all back....alot of this is probably water weight. I don't know how much soda or sugary beverages you drink...but I would start chugging the water! And watch the sodium...I was SHOCKED to see what a difference that made in my weight. I gauged how much water I retained by the size of my wrist. I can feel the difference when I wrap my hand around it. On a good day my middle finger and thumb will touch...when I've had too much sodium or during TOM I can't touch the two together. Cran water is a GREAT way to start flushing toxins and extra water out of the body. It's 1 oz of ORGANIC not from concentrate 100% cranberry juice (no sugar added) to every 7 oz of water. Just make a gallon of this and start sipping throughout the day. It's a great way to rid your lymphatic system of the crud. You will pee like crazy, but that's good. Also hot lemon water in the morning boosts the metabolism and helps thin out bile so digestion is easier.
These are just some simple things to start with, but work wonders!
Gonna Get There Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeze987 View Post
Please.....give me some encouragement. Thank you all for your time. 305lbs is today's weight. Goal is 145. Seems IMPOSSIBLE! I tried to do the little ticker thing, but it wont let me.
I believe you can do it. Just about all of us on this board have issues with overeating and self-control, and many of us have managed to lose weight and keep it off.

I agree with the poster who suggested a structured and consistent eating plan for the time being. If you don't want to join a formal program, you could try listing 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and 5 dinners that are healthy, filling and moderate, along with 5 small, healthy snacks. Then divide your daily eating into 3 meals and 3 snacks, rotating between the items on your list. Aim for perhaps 1,800 calories to start and stick to the plan very closely for the first few weeks. You should start seeing results and feeling better, and your motivation should naturally increase from there.

I suggest something equally moderate for exercise: walking 30 minutes 4 times per week. You can build from there if/when you're ready. The important thing is consistency.

Last but not least, work on self-defeating beliefs that may get in your way. ("I can't do this," "I have no will-power," "I'm compulsive around food," etc.). Just about all of us have such beliefs, and I'm still working on mine. The more we realize that we're actually in control of food, rather than the other way around, the more empowered and capable we feel.

HTH Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 05-23-2013 at 10:54 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm not going to add much because my thoughts have already been voiced.

I will say this, though. We all know how you feel, but it just doesn't work that way, so get used to the idea. Your attitude (as stated in your post) will just work against you. If you need more help than we can give in overcoming the attitude you have, seek professional help. You can't knit a sweater in an hour. You can't sew a quilt in an hour. You can't remodel your kitchen in an hour. Why we feel that dieting "for an hour" should show results is beyond me, but we all feel that way at some point in time. We just have to work to get past it and realize we are changing things for life, and it happens at the rate of a pound or 2 a week.

Good luck - with the weight loss and the attitude adjustment. Sorry if that's too frank, but I KNOW you can do it - just keep coming in here.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 05-23-2013 at 07:51 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #11  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Think OP will come back? Coming back definitely helps with weight loss...
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote