Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Red Team Spring Into Action Chat Thread Week 1 (05/20/13 - 05/26/13)

Hello Red Team-
Welcome to the Spring into Action Biggest Loser Challenge!

It is always good to see new & familiar faces in these challenges.

My name is Mel, and I've been on the 3FatChicks site for a number of years- but didn't start regularly participating until I started my LIFESTYLE CHANGE in 2009. Since then I've lost 70 pounds (give or take a few here & there) and have maintained the loss. I'm using running and walking as my active forms of exercise.

Share as little or as much as you like. Please respect this chat board & challenge. Losing weight is very personal, but if you open your ears there is much to learn from one another as we embark on our own personal journeys.

Here's to a great Challenge!

Go Red Team!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #2  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Hi Team Red! I've been here on 3FC for almost 2 months and the thing I like best, other than the awesome supportive people, are the challenges that help keep me on track.

I just started my 8th week on Medifast and it's going great. I've lost nearly 30 pounds! I still have a long way to go to meet my goal weight of 155.

Exercise is a challenge for me. I have severe arthritis and no cartilage remaining n my right knee ( very little in the left). This month I've been focusing on strengthening the muscles in my legs to better support my knees as well as some arm and core work. My legs are getting stronger, but my knees are as painful as ever.

This weekend I tried swimming. I was able to do quite a few laps of backstroke, side stroke, and some arms only freestyle. Unfortunately every other kick stroke I tried killed my knees -even breaststroke which is my favorite

I tried the elliptical yesterday and didn't even last a minute - the bone grinding on bone was excruciating.

Anyway, I'm excited for this challenge and look forward to supporting everyone!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #3  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Hi red team! I'm Nicole. I joined 3FC years ago, and I've tried unsuccessfully to lose weight several times. This time it's finally working, but weight loss isn't my main goal. Fitness is. I started running last summer specifically to run the Princess Half Marathon at Disney World and have a girls weekend with a friend. I hadn't planned on continuing to run, but I've done 2 more half marathons since the Princess, which was the end of Feb. In Aug, I'll start training for my full marathon in Dec, which is why I want more weight off. Less weight = faster running. I've also started swimming. It was supposed to just be cross training, but now I'm 98% sure I'll do at least one triathlon next year. I'd love to make it to Onederland by the end of this challenge, but that might be a bit ambitious for me.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #4  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Hey everybodee!

I'm very excited to be participating in my first BL challenge. Go Team Red!

I've done the diet/exercise routine twice before in my life, but this is the first time it's really working. I'm now at the lowest weight I've ever been as an adult. Wheeee!

I'm not following any diet program. I do low carb, wheat/gluten free, calorie counting (sort of), and I try to eat as few processed foods as possible.

Exercise is primarily running. I'm currently training for a Color Run 5K in June. I do some workout DVDs also - kickboxing, yoga, etc. - and just some general exercise routines.

I look forward to meeting everyone on the team. Let's rock this first week of the challenge!

Last edited by Novus; 05-20-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Hi Everyone!

I was on 3FC a few years ago, and lost 65 pounds. Then had a rather serious family upheavel, and stress ate my way all the way back. So here I am again, ready to lose the weight, and KEEP IT OFF this time!

My diet is pretty simple right now. I'm kind of doing IF, I don't eat after 8pm until lunch the next day. And I make sure that I get 5 fruits and veggies a day, one from each color group. Which tends to make my calorie intake very low, which is working really well for me right now, but when I kick my exercise into a higher gear next week I will be making sure I up my calories to 1200-1400.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #6  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Oh, I didn't day anything about my food strategies. I only have one kidney, so going low carb/high protein is a big no-no for me. (Gotta protect Lefty! ) I'm a good old fashioned calorie counter. I don't have any off limits foods. That isn't sustainable for me. I don't have a big sweet tooth though, so grabbing 2-3 Hershey Kisses will satisfy the chocolate craving. My big problem was cheesy, greeasy, fried foods. Becoming a runner, and now swimmer, really helped me with that. My tummy gets angry at me now.

I skipped my swim this morning. I'm all crampy and just wanted to crawl back in bed with the heating pad. If the rain holds off, I need to mow this afternoon, so that will still get my calories burned.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #7  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Good morning Red Team!

Kris here. Long time member of 3FC but have popped in and out over the years. I have started a few Biggest Loser Challenges but have yet to complete one. Not anymore!

I have a high stress job that I have let consume me while I consumed everything in sight "because I deserved it". Boy did I do myself in. I am at my highest weight ever and need to stop this spiral.

I am currently signed up on WW, but have been 1/2 hearted about tracking or exercise. I think a little friendly competition and the tons of support that come from 3FC will help me refocus. I look forward to celebrating everyone's successes!

Lets
Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #8  

Hey everyone, super excited to be here and determined to see this challenge through till the very end!

My name is Sarah, I'm 20, and I first found 3FC about four years ago. I made an account and started getting involved, but I just wasn't mentally 'there' yet. I knew what I should be doing, but I still kept repeating history and ended up dieting myself just over 300lbs. By the time I was ready to give it another go, I had been gone from 3FC for so long that I couldn't even remember my username so I started over and here we are. The past six months have been full of ups and downs but I've been seeing a dietitian and I really feel like I get, finally truly get it. I'm no longer weighing in every day and I've abandoned the 'all or nothing' attitude I've held onto for so long that completely botched every attempt I've made.

I can't wait to go on this journey with all of you over the weeks to come
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #9  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi all,

Another Kris here.

This is my third challenge. I dieted myself from 150 pounds in high school all the way to over 300 pounds. THIS time I started Medifast because I didn't want to be the obese maid of honor in my friend's wedding photos. I'm starting to mentally get it now. I lost 100 pounds from April 2011-July 2012, and I've been pretty well stuck ever since. So I'm working my way off Medifast, but still avoiding starch, limiting starchy veggies and fruit.

For exercise, I run, do yoga, and recently started working with a trainer. I LOVE yoga! I would go to yoga class every day if I had the time and money.

This challenge I would love to lose 10 pounds, but will settle for any loss.

Lets go, red team!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Hi Red Team!
I’m Kristyn and I have been on FatChicks for a few years and have gained and lost, gained and lost and I am now up to my highest weight ever and the yo-yo dieting has to stop! I am calorie counting, however, I am taking it slower this time staying around 1500 calories a day (rather than 1200 in the past which caused binges). I am working as a new teacher and I hope that having this summer off means I can focus on myself and my health. I will have to be careful not to become lazy since I will have so much free time.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

SuperHeroTeacher if swimming is bothering your knees you could always try placing a floating bouy between your legs and only focus on your arm strokes. Swimming won't be a total body workout but you may find it more comfortable
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/172.6/145

Height: 5'6

Hi everyone! My name is Alyssa, and I am 24 years old. I joined 3FC a couple years ago, and it's always been a great resource. Since I joined a couple years ago, I've lost weight in small spurts (15 pounds here, hold for a few months, then another 10 pounds, etc.). Luckily I've been able to keep it off every time I've lost, and now I am finally focusing my efforts on getting to my goal weight. I have been eating paleo for the past two months, and I plan to continue with that. Now that I have the hang of it, I hope to try some new recipes in the next couple months.

My exercise level is low right now, but I plan to add in running with strength training in a couple weeks.

I'm excited to get to know everyone!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 231/219/170

Hi all,

I've only been on 3FC since last year and am happy to be in my second BL challenge!

I've always been on the bigger side, ever since I was a young teen. Well, many years, a couple kids and a divorce later, I'm finally taking control of my life.
I found myself at my all time highest weight last year in October. I knew I had to do something when I couldn't pass a fitness test at work.

My strategy to losing is calorie counting and getting to the gym at least 3 times a week. My downfall is that I love food, especially sweets. I try not to deny myself all treats as I know for me - that just leads to over-indulging later when i finally give in. So, now instead of eating 3 pieces of pie or cake, I only allow myself one small piece. That way I can still taste the sugary goodness I also don't keep any of 'that' food in my house any more. If it's not here, I can't eat it

I hope everyone enjoys this challenge! I love having the support of all of you on here!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Hi Everyone!

My name is Amanda and this is my second BL challenge. I lost about 15 pounds doing the last one, including gaining during 2 weeks of vacation, and I really hope I can get to my GW during this one. My weight loss has slowed right down the past month or so but I'm consistently still losing about a pound a week. I've got about 13 pounds to go so perfect for this challenge! I'm going home (Canada) the beginning of August for vacation, I currently live in Korea, and would love to surprise my friends/family by looking amazing. I'm already the lowest I've ever been as an adult.

I currently count calories, always have (while trying to lose weight) and probably always will as I'm a numbers girl. As for exercise, I am currently doing the C25K which has been fantastic. I'm in week 7 and am running for longer than I ever thought possible. I'm also doing squat and sit up challenges. Starting June 1st I'm hoping to get a gym membership and I really want to try New Rules of Lifting for Woman. I'm hoping it won't cause a huge weight gain, as I know a lot of people see weight gain when they start lifting. I'll apologize now if I do. Right now I'm trying to focus a lot more on my overall fitness level and less so on weight loss and the scale. Though I do hope that number keeps going down!

Good luck to everyone!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Good morning Team-
I'm a little off kilter as yesterday was a holiday here in Canada, so back to work today and into the swing of things with a vengence.

Welcome to the Red Team- it does take me a while to get to know everyone, so I may not do personals right away as I figure out who is who.

Be sure to ask any questions and I hope everyone who has an opinion will pipe up as we all learn from one another.

If you're just starting out on your lifestyle change- it's usually a good idea to journal what you are eating. Either online- with spark people, on your electronic device- with an app like lose it- or just in the note pad- or with a pen & paper. It helps to make you accountable as to what is going into your body. And yes- those bites here & there do count (unfortunately). That being said- once you have an idea of what you are eating & how much, you can start tweaking the amounts & the contents to be more healthy. It's all about being Aware and honest with ourselves.
While I don't journal my food anymore, it doesn't mean I'm not aware. I read labels and always have a conversation about should I have this or that. I believe moderation is key and don't deny myself anything.

Also- when starting out, don't try to change everything on the first day. You want to make life long changes. So change one thing the first week. Add something to change on the second week etc. If you feel you can handle more change than add something else in.
Once of the first things I changed, was drinking more water. It's still an issue for me in the colder months, but now that it's warming up (though I was wearing my long johns over the weekend- what's up with that?) it is easier to always have a water bottle by my side.

Okay- this is getting long winded and I know you've heard all this before, but have you listened? It sounds like a lot of us have had a light bulb moment coming into this challenge and know we have to change. This is your time. If not now- when? But you need to be committed to changing. It's not a diet, but a life style change. You will transform the way you eat, the way you feel and a byproduct of that is the way you look. Are you ready to accept the challenge?

Have a great On Plan Day Team!

If you haven't done so already, be sure to add your name & info to the Red Team Weigh in Thread
We also have Red Team Exercise & Nutrition Threads.

Last edited by CanadaMel; 05-21-2013 at 01:12 PM.