Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #1  

Default Anxiety

I've had some anxiety issues, but lately they seem to be getting worse. I've done some research online, but reading about potentially addicting medications and anxiety-facing therapies give me even more anxiety! I have an annual exam scheduled in May with my GYN, and plan to ask my doctor about it, but I did this a few years ago, and she kind of just brushed me off, so I didn't pursue it. Things feel worse now, so I'll have more of an in-depth conversation with her. I just wish I could understand why suddenly I'm scared of everything all the time! I want to go back to feeling normal! Does anyone have any experience with this that they'd be willing to share? Thanks.
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I see you've lost quite a bit so yo know that weight loss isn't linear - there are ups and downs and sometimes they don't match what else is going on in your life. Anxiety is the same. It ebbs and flows and sometimes comes out of nowhere. Once you get your head around that it can be easier to manage. You accept the bad days because you know there will be good days to follow. The less power you give your anxiety, the shorter the duration of the bad will be over time.
That's not to say that you can't do things to help yourself feel better, whether it's short-term (like medication to ease a panic attack) or long term (like being sure to get the right nutrients and some exercise or getting rid of known stresses or taking up a hobby to keep your mind more productively occupied, etc).
Good luck, and it is a good idea to talk with your doctor about this, especially if it is a recent change in frequency or intensity. Thyroid issues, for example, can have a affect on anxiety.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Linda - I have suffered from anxiety for years. I do take medication for it. I would rather take a pill each day to feel 'normal' than suffer from some of the paralyzing anxiety attacks that I had before.
Do talk to your doctor but do not be afraid or embarrassed about taking medication. I think there are so many unknown chemical things that go on in women as we age and our hormones change.
Best of luck to you.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I have not experienced this myself, but I do have my Master's in psychology and work as a counselor.

If you are worried about addictive meds, just tell your doc that you do not want to be on a benzodiazepine. There are plenty of non-addictive anti-anxiety meds that could help you.

I would recommend Buspar or Atarax. Atarax is really an anti-histamine that works extremely well for anxiety and has very few side effects.

Good luck!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

If you get the impression again that your doctor is blowing you off about it, tell her just that, and that this is really a concern for you. Or maybe make an appointment with her SPECIFICALLY to talk about that topic, rather than an add on to an annual visit.

If she still doesn't seem to care, maybe they can recommend someone else for you to talk to, or you may need to find someone on your own.

Do they have any other doctors in that office you might be comfortable with?

Last edited by Vex; 04-25-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #6  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

I started having issues with anxiety before discovering that I had an ovarian tumor. For me- anxiety was very intertwined with hormone imbalances. I tried a number of anti-anxiety medications, but I just couldn't find one that worked.

I sought help from acupuncture, massage therapy, and breathwork. It helped-but I was still a bit out of control, to the point I was put on ativan. Oh yes....and that worked, but I didn't want to depend on it. And then I found a book called "The Mood Cure" by Doctor Julia Ross. http://www.amazon.com/Mood-Cure-4-St.../dp/0142003646
I started supplementing with amino acids and started taking GABA (both are non habit forming). It helped tremendously.

After eliminating all processed foods out of my diet- almost all my anxiety issues are gone. However, I still keep some pharma GABA in my purse just in case. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Factor.../dp/B000R8IPR0
(I buy my GABA at Whole Foods.)

Good luck! It feels awful to be anxious. It's exhausting. I hope you find some relief soon!
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #7  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

I deal with anxiety. I'm sorry to hear you're in the same boat.

I do have a prescription for a benzo that I carry with me everywhere. I very rarely take one - t's probably been over a year since I have - but just knowing I can if I need to is a huge help.

I definitely note certain triggers - situations and substances that set me off. Maybe try keeping a journal to see if certain things/times/places make you feel worse. A big one for me is caffeine - if I'm having a rough time, I'm best avoiding it altogether.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it, and let us know how it goes. The more people I talk to, the more I realize how common it is!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Drs. who do not understand the need for mental & emotional healthy is just as important as good physical health...need to get a clue! We are not just physical beings, we are mental & emotional beings. DUH!!!
I'd let your dr know that blowing you off about your mental/emotional concerns is unacceptable. Plain & simple. Drs. need to understand that if you are struggling mentally/emotionall it can & WILL effect your physical health. If your dr refuses to see that, it's time to see another dr. I simply cannot believe a dr. in practice today does not see the connection. If you listen to any reputable dr., they'll tell you a patient is a whole package...physical, mental, emotional.
If you think about it, your anxiety can/does effect your sleep, your interaction with others, your ability to do your job/run your household. Things like anxiety can also cause horrible headaches, loss of appetite, HBP & other "medical" issues. So how CAN this dr not see your anxiety effects your physical health.
To be blunt, either your dr gets with it or you get with another dr. Cause I think your dr may not truely believe you. You, the patient. You the resaon he/she has a practice. You the one who makes it possible him/her to have a nice home(s), a nice car(s), take great vacations & send their own kids to college.
Also drs. like this don't last really long, because complaints get filed about them. I had a therapist who thought nothing of blowing me off...being over an hr. LATE to appts., having her young (7 yr. old) daughter in the office DURING my sessions, & charging me for appts. I CANCELLED. She got so many complaints about her to the local & county medical boards that she closed her office. Cr@ppy drs? I say good riddance! It's my $$, it's my health...you need to earn my business & respect.
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I have been having anxiety the past few years......I know the reason for it but unfortunately there is nothing that i can do to eliminate that problem for the time being. Some times a situation will trigger it, sometimes it pops up for no known reason that I can pin point. My doctor put me on welburtrin for depression and xanax for anxiety and I was a pill popper for a few months and ti was making my anxiety WORSE...I have been med free and feel so much better.....I deal with my anxiety now with meditation, yoga or rest, bubble baths, etc. I am not saying this is what everyone should do, some people are very happy with their meds, but it isn't for me.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I notice that your visit is with your GYN. In my experience, not all doctors are equally equipped or trained to deal with mental health issues. I suggest you schedule an appointment with a trained mental health professional. They can help to give you some better direction.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #11  

I wanted to let you all know that after reading your responses, I went ahead and made an appointment with my GP to talk about my anxiety issues. I saw her today and she was wonderful. She let me talk/cry for an hour, while I explained to her how I've been feeling. We talked through all the meds available to treat anxiety, and settled on a very low dose of Lexapro (5mg per day) to see if that works. I go back to see her again in 3 weeks. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions (especially NE Mom!) and for getting me off my butt and to the doctor. Hopefully this will be what I need to get back to normal
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

So glad that you went and talked to her and that she was understanding! Hopefully she told you that Lexapro is a medication that takes 4-6 weeks for effectiveness, so don't expect an overnight change!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #13  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Linda - I have MIA for a couple weeks but I am so glad to hear you went to your doctor and she actually listened to you. Remember, if this med does not work, there are many many options out there for you. Hope things get better for you!!!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Im happy that you went to your GP and she understood. I don't know much about lexapro but I hope that it works for you. Pay attention to how you're feelig, sleeping, etc and follow up with her if your dosage needs to be adjusted..and like NEMom said there are many other choices out there. If you still are having problems then ask for a referral to psychiatrist (not psychologist) because noone knows how to prescribe anxiety meds better than a psych, that's their job.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

I know I am late to the game here but... I accidently found out that if you are low in magnesium it can cause anxiety.
Do a search on magnesium and anxiety. Some of you may want to do a search on magnesium and weightloss.
The change in my life has been amazing.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote