Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default thin body, very large stomach

When Im in clothes, and i tell people i want to lose more weight, theyre genuinely shocked and think i may have a more serious mental setback.

However, in a bikini, people start to realize what im talking about...
im super thin everywhere except my stomach. When I sit, i have two rolls, the bottom one actually being very noticeable.
My exercise consists of a whole lot of spinning, and occasional situps/ab work and i havent really been dropping weight yet because like i said, everywhere else on my body is thin.. i just dont even think i can drop thaaat much more, or if i can, it wont be easy at all.

im not sure what to do. ive even tried eating less in size to get my stomach to shrink but didnt work.

help?

(my display is not up to date)

Last edited by luckystreak; 05-16-2013 at 10:56 PM.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure how people will react to my response, but if you are 5'7 and in the 140s and you have as much extra fat in your stomach as you're describing, I'd look into lipo.

Now, it's not because of your stomach, it's because of the way YOU feel about it. If getting this little thing fixed up a bit will make you feel better, then go for it. But if you are eating right and exercising and it's still not happening, why not get a little help.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Although what you're describing is not common with females - it is extremely common with men.

At a certain point - your body will decide to start losing the fat in your abdomen and then you'll lose it fairly quickly.

However, if you're like a lot of guys, it will feel like you'll never get to this point because you probably have more fat on your body than you think.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Although what you're describing is not common with females - it is extremely common with men.

At a certain point - your body will decide to start losing the fat in your abdomen and then you'll lose it fairly quickly.

However, if you're like a lot of guys, it will feel like you'll never get to this point because you probably have more fat on your body than you think.
what do you mean at a certain point?
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

Have you tried cutting back on carbs? For a week you could try Atkins or south beach and see what happens. This is the only thing that works for me.

I've had the same response, by the way.
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
what do you mean at a certain point?
At a certain point means you'll continue to lose fat in various places in your body and finally your stomach area.

Where exactly? It depends.

For most guys - this point is when they have very lean arms and shoulders and pretty lean chests.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes it's just the way we are built.

I'm 5'5", 138, 53, had twins, over 6 pounds each! My abs took a beating. Pot gut in women runs in the family. Along with big ole girls! Still a DD! So be it.

Without the benefit of a tummy tuck, lipo, and if it exists, a way to get rid of the stretch marks, my tummy is what it is. No amount of carb cutting, or ab exercises is going to change this.

The girls! Oh my! That's another day.

The good news is, genetically, I have great arms and legs! I love them, and don't worry about what I can't change.

If you are at a healthy weight, maintaining, eating a healthy diet, getting some exercise, and treating your body well, that's all you need!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

It's weird that we're all advocating lipo (if it REALLY bugs you), but it may be the best way to go. I had the same problem, maybe worse, and the belly fat didn't disappear even when I reached the bottom of my BMI range. In fact, it only disappeared, for the first time in my life, when I slipped, accidentally, and not necessarily healthily, below it. Thrilled to finally have a flat belly, but the result, on my arms & legs, is not so nice. Thinking lipo would get you the best of both worlds.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Before you do lipo please try pilates first!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I think you should try regular strength training.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #11  

Not to scare you but I would make sure you had a check up. A number of benign and not so benign conditions can cause a large looking abdomen. My mother had a benign ovarian cyst that had grown to a very large size. Once she had it removed (and the water around it disappeared) she looked completely different. My doctor tells me I have uterine fibroids and although also benign she says it does contribute a small bit to my belly.

Last edited by Emma4545; 05-18-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Emma4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #12  
Empress/Queen

My round stomach runs in the family, but at a certain point in my weight fluctuation journey, I do lose there. Agree on Pilates. Would not personally do lipo though because I like my body the way it is. Also since going gluten free & wheat free, the stomach has healed from things that were bothering it & it tends for the most part to be flatter.

One more thing to OP, you look fabulous in your avatar, can't see anything large happening in ab area.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #13  

So many great points in the responses! Seriously I agree with all the answers so far.

Worth making a doctor's appointment, I have had patients with round bellies that were otherwise thin that have ended up being diagnosed with an ovarian tumor / other issues just as Emma was talking about. We're not trying to scare you, but its worth ruling out.

Have you had kids? Many women cannot get their bellies completely flat after kids.

Cutting out or down carbs can may also help. Something with the carbs/ sugar --> insulin-->increases abdominal fat. I don't remember the details...

Also sometimes you really do just have those 5 extra pounds like John said and it will come off. I know I have a very very small frame. When I was 140 lbs (though I'm shorter) I was just getting into a size 6. And in clothes I couldn't even tell people I was still trying to lose because I got sick of the too thin comments, but naked was a different story, I had this fat on my hips that was still there, and that weird knee fat, yeah pretty mental image...anyway, I was just one of those people that probably needed to be 120s to finally get rid of those last few puggy spots.

Toning can also help. You can't spot reduce, but increase muscle mass will increase your basal metabolic rate, and help you lose. Also, toned areas do look better.

And finally lipo is also a good option. If you really are happy with everything else, and you're a healthy weight, sometimes lipo helps you get rid of that last 5 lbs. I don't know much about lipo but I think that you might be at risk to regain the weight though.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dance Girl View Post
Have you tried cutting back on carbs? For a week you could try Atkins or south beach and see what happens. This is the only thing that works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha2 View Post
Also since going gluten free & wheat free, the stomach has healed from things that were bothering it & it tends for the most part to be flatter.

One more thing to OP, you look fabulous in your avatar, can't see anything large happening in ab area.
I don't have this problem (kinda pear shaped), but I do low carb and on the low carb forums, I've seen people say that it's the only way they lose their bellies. I also wonder if it's partly bc when you're eating low carb, you almost naturally go wheat free. I am not celiac, as far as I know, but stopping wheat (and I avoid gluten, too, kinda just for the h*ll of it, since I'm 99% there anyway) has solved so many little health problems for me.

If it were me, I'd try low carb/no wheat and probably pilates first. But I don't see any shame in lipo, if you are so inclined.

ETA: callenetics is also supposed to be awesome for abs.

Last edited by rubidoux; 05-18-2013 at 10:55 PM.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #15  
Empress/Queen

Thumbs up

This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
... I am not celiac, as far as I know, but stopping wheat (and I avoid gluten, too, kinda just for the h*ll of it, since I'm 99% there anyway) has solved so many little health problems for me. ..
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote