Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Default Counting Calories while doing Low Carb

Hello all,

I used to be a big time calorie counter (have been on and off for about 10 years). Recently my doctor mentioned that I should be on a ketogenic diet, to help control my epilepsy.

Initially I lost weight whole on the keto diet, but now I am stalled and have even gained a pound back. I feel like this is because my caloric intake has rocketed from 1200-1300 a day, to 1700-2000 a day.

I'm trying to cut it back down but keto food (high fat, high protein) is so high in calories, I feel like I'm eating the same amount, portion-wise and fullness-wise, as before but the high calories are killing my weight-loss and weight maintenance.

Is anyone else having this problem?
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #2  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Hi, I have been doing calorie and carb counting too. I like to try to keep my carbs at between 80-100 per day which is quite high for some but it has been working well for me. My calorie intake is 1200 a day.

I have Googled for low carb foods and keep a list handy.

Hope you have better success soon.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even at my highest weight, I have had to portion or calorie limit on any WOE (way of eating), because my hunger has virtually no "off" switch. Even when low-carb eating, I find it beneficial to count and document my eating. Exchange plans are my favorite way to control both calories and carb content ( and has the side benefit of encouraging whole food consumption, because whole foods are easiest to count and remember).

I do find that my hunger is less intense on low-carb, so it's easier to eat less. Not only do I lose weight more easily on low-carb, it also takes more calories to stall or gain. Even so, I still have to "budget" because I find it nearly as easy to binge and gain on low-carb calories as high.

If you have to count, you have to count.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #4  

Thanks for the responses. Ketogenic diets require crazy low carbs (IMO) 20-30 is the ideal, though I am closer to 40-50 right now. I am trying to up my water amount, and a friend of mine suggested drinking diluted Apple Cider Vinegar to reduce hunger/cravings. I'm so used to eating fruit, and whole grains though, and i think maybe I am just craving carbs/sugar and that is causing me to overeat/compensate with the foods I can eat... ugh.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

I need/want so badly to get back on the low-carb eating pattern, but know that I need to also watch my calorie intake. (I'm in my 60's -- very low metabolism). Do any of you know an on-line site where we could enter foods consumed, and it keeps track of the carbs and calories? I do not own a smart phone (one of the last hold-outs, I know!), so it could not be an "app" -- but an actual on-line site. Thanks for any help you might offer!
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I keep my calories under 1600 total (I eat my exercise calories so my net is usually between 800 and 1200), and I keep my carbs below 20g. I find that after a while on plan, you're full with much less.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Lizzy View Post
I need/want so badly to get back on the low-carb eating pattern, but know that I need to also watch my calorie intake. (I'm in my 60's -- very low metabolism). Do any of you know an on-line site where we could enter foods consumed, and it keeps track of the carbs and calories? I do not own a smart phone (one of the last hold-outs, I know!), so it could not be an "app" -- but an actual on-line site. Thanks for any help you might offer!
I use livestrong.com. Sign up for their "myplate". Many people here also use sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
and I keep my carbs below 20g. I find that after a while on plan, you're full with much less.
Thanks so much for the info -- and of course I have another question! Do you keep your daily carbs under 20g? Or per meal carbs? I assume you mean daily -- but I've learned to ask! I have a friend (male, 50's, hard-working, slender build) who came down with horrible gout. He and his wife visited lots of doctors for various treatment plans. Finally visited with a dietitian, who immediately put him on a "no more than 20 grams of carbs per meal" diet -- and guess what? His gout cleared up -- and he lost 15 pounds, which he didn't really need to lose, lol!
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

I keep them below 20 per day. I don't freak if I get up to 50, but I aim for 20. This is extremely low, and it's not for every one. Keep in mind I started out 300 pounds heavier than you and I find that I have to "amp up" everything a bit for myself.

20g per meal is a great start point. Anything under 100g per day is low carb, so play around and figure out what works best. You may experience "carb flu" for up to two weeks where you feel gross - but it shouldn't last forever, so you have to figure out what works for you.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
I use livestrong.com. Sign up for their "myplate". Many people here also use sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal.
I use MyPlate as well and I find it really helpful, but I've learned to be careful about double checking to make sure the info is correct.

I really want to get my carbs down lower, but I'm finding it really hard to find things to eat that I find appetizing that are carb-less.

I'm already planned for 33 carbs today, and that's only counting breakfast, lunch, and snack. Not sure what I will have for dinner. My default low carb food is eggs, but I am starting to burn out on them :/