Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Weather & temperature changes are killing me!

As many of you know, I have multiple health issues that have been especially problematic recently. Weather and temperature changes are a major symptom trigger - the more rapid an drastic the change, the worse the flare (usually peaking right before the change actually occurs). It's become so extreme that if I have a sudden onset flare, hubby will immediately check online weather radar to see what's coming. He jokes to friends that my fibromyalgia is more accurate than the weatherman.

Some friends and family don't seem to understand that any change - even to dramatically nicer weather causes as much difficulty as bad changes, and I actually feel better in constant weather, even if the weather is constantly bad. My arthritis flares more in cold, damp, but overall, constancy is easier to adapt to. My doctor told me recently, that my reaction to changes in weather isn't uncommon, and he has several patients who feel better when weather is constant, even if it's constantly bad.

This winter was horrible for me - constantly up and down, and this spring hasn't been much better.

Today I'm in a super-flare, brought on by a convergence of multiple triggers - insomnia, TOM, and huge pending weather changes (storms forecast today and a drastic temp change predicted for tomorrow - from mid to high 50's today to low 80's tomorrow).

Essentially I feel like I have the flu on top of menstrual cramps, on top of sunburn, on top of having been beaten with a baseball bat. Everything hurts, including every inch of skin. I couldn't even tolerate earphones this morning when I wanted to listen to music).

Sadly, what seems to help most are narcotic pain meds and carbohydrates, both of which only make the situation worse in the long run. I hurt badly enough that I could care less about the long run and just want relief NOW.

We don't keep many high-glycemic carbs in the house, which is good, because today I wouldn't be able to stop until they were gone.

So far I'm still fully on-plan paleo, but I'm definitely craving the carb/fat/salt combination comfort foods.

On the bright side, the weather forecast suggests that we're due for some consistently nice weather later this week, so relief is in sight.

Anyone else weather sensitive?

Last edited by kaplods; 05-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/192/140

Height: 5'7"

Kaplods. I am so sorry you have to go through so much pain.

I too suffer from pain when the weather changes drastically as it is prone to do in the south. I do not have near the pain you do.

Sending you good thoughts that your pain eases soon.
thinin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #3  

Thanks Vonny, I do want to clarify that I'm not in this much pain daily. I suppose it's the curse of my type of fibro - some days I can feel pretty decent with no fibro (just a little bit of arthritis) and then seemingly out of the blue, severe pain - in one spot or everywhere.

On one hand, it makes people think you're nuts, because the randomness of it can convince people that you're a hypochondriac who is sick only when you want to be. I'm so tired of hearing, (often in my own head, even, "but you were fine, yesterday!"

But I remind myself that it is a blessing, because instead of pain that varies in intensity and duration, I could have constant and severe pain like my husband (and his joint and resulting pain are degenerative, they can and will get worse over time).

When I started this journey, my pain and fatigue were variable, but pretty much constant. The weight loss, and learning to control what triggers I could helped me get much, much better - so this isn't a full relapse, just a minor setback.

It just doesn't feel minor, because it's no longer part of my normal expections. Things could be and have been much worse, and more frequent.

At least an advantage I have now (and didn't have eight years ago) is the knowledge that this will be better soon, especially if I work at all the habits that help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinin08 View Post
Kaplods. I am so sorry you have to go through so much pain.

I too suffer from pain when the weather changes drastically as it is prone to do in the south. I do not have near the pain you do.

Sending you good thoughts that your pain eases soon.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #4  

I'm also weather sensitive. I suffer from migraines the majority is brought on by heat and sunlight which traps me inside my home during the summer. I'm also sensitive to pressure drops brought on by storms.

Some days I just can't get out of bed.
Cristallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #5  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Anyone else weather sensitive?
Not as severely, but yes. I can tell if it's raining or has recently rained the moment I wake up, just from how I feel. Summer heat and humidity can trigger my hypotension / orthostatic intolerance issues, though that's a little different. I've had doctors recommend moving to constant weather states too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Sadly, what seems to help most are narcotic pain meds and carbohydrates, both of which only make the situation worse in the long run. I hurt badly enough that I could care less about the long run and just want relief NOW.
I just related so much to this. This is also my Achilles' heel for weight stuff. All my carefully planned, nutritious meals go straight out the window when I'm ill. Takeout skyrockets, as expensive as it is - partly because the physical act of preparing food feels like such an obstacle, but also because I'm miserable and craving comfort from -somewhere-.

At the start of May, I caught a cold (still lingering bronchitis-like) and had my period at the same time. The two together kicked up my blood pressure regulation issues - 90/50 woozy, with a skyrocketing heart rate if I got off the couch. Right before this I'd decided to jumpstart/re-focus my eating habits, made some great plans and bought tons of fresh ingredients.... ha! Sad to say those fresh items are languishing and greasy Chinese takeout from last night is in my fridge. Even though I felt gross after eating it, I'll probably rouse myself to go grab some from the fridge before too long - it's that, or not eat because it's too much bother at the moment.

I hope you're feeling better soon. You're right that a greater awareness (from past experience) of ebbs and flows helps -- even if I'm caught up in some self-soothing right now, I'm aware of what it is and know the supposed comfort the food brings is illusory. That mindfulness helps one grab the reins back quicker, I think.

Last edited by Desiderata; 05-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with such weather-related struggles. My issues with heat are not nearly as disruptive to me, but I have been one cranky woman over the last few weeks. My ankles are like stumps, my fingers like sausages. I'm struggling with insomnia nightly. While still on top of my caloric intake, I am not losing any weight.

Entertaining myself with Star Trek tonight...in anticipation of this weekend's excursion to a delightfully chilled movie theater!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #7  

Feeling 100% better, it's amazing what a couple days of sunny, stable weather, and a couple nights of really good sleep can do for me. Brain fog's still pretty thick, we went to Aldi grocery shopping and I tried putting the quarter in the dangling end of the cart lock rather than in the quarter slot. I realized my absent-minded mistake, but not before hubby saw. He gets so worried for me (afraid I'm going to walk into traffic, etc).

I understand his fears and resulting over-protectiveness, but sometimes, it feels like he wants to wrap me in bubblewrap and keep me on a shelf for safekeeping. It's very frustrating for both of us, which ends up in an argument.......Ah, the joys of living with chronic illness.