Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #1  

Default bought a blender - bad choice?

So, I've never had a blender before but reading more and more about certain things to blend to be part of a weight loss diet or a quick short time loss of weight...I have now think ive made a mistake.

I was under the impression - no, I read, that you can make "juicing" drinks not just by a mixer but also with a blender but something told me from inside that it may not be possible.

Anyway - to cut to the chase - what kind of drinks could I blend which are healthy and good and will assist me in losing weight?
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

It's hard to say if these drinks really help people lose weight. The idea is that you get lots of nutrition and end up feeling satisfied from the drink. I think sometimes we have cravings because our bodies are missing something but I don't know if that' scientifically proven.

I like to make a kale smoothie which is super healthy and tastes pretty good. If you don't like the way it tastes, you can always add more fruit but then it becomes more caloric and sugar can increase appetite in some people who are sensitive to it.

http://thebettyrocker.com/kale-aid-green-smoothie/

If you can't use kale, then you could try spinach, which is also very nutritious.....if you do use kale, remove the leaves from the hard stem and break them up into pieces.

Last edited by luckymommy; 05-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
So, I've never had a blender before but reading more and more about certain things to blend to be part of a weight loss diet or a quick short time loss of weight...I have now think ive made a mistake.

I was under the impression - no, I read, that you can make "juicing" drinks not just by a mixer but also with a blender but something told me from inside that it may not be possible.

Anyway - to cut to the chase - what kind of drinks could I blend which are healthy and good and will assist me in losing weight?
Generally blenders are not powerful enough to "juice" but you can certainly make blended drinks. It depends on what fruit you are using I use my Oster Blender to make protein drinks using bananas and strawberries but it wouldn't handle harder fruit and vegies, I haven't tried kale but I doubt if it would handle it. It definitely won't give me juice. It all depends on what you want. A blender will give you smoothies and other blended drinks, it will crush ice but it won't handle apples and carrots, for instance.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-13-2013 at 09:05 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/154.6/135

Height: 5'6"

I own a Bullet blender and love it. I needed more nutrition in my diet and started making vegetable smoothies with a little fruit.

I now try to drink a kale/spinach smoothie most days of the week because it gives me the dark leafy greens that are not normally a part of my diet. It also gives me the fiber from the greens because they are blended and not juiced, something I needed to keep things regular and it keeps me full longer after my small breakfast.

The taste takes some getting used to but go ahead and experiment and see if you can make some smoothies with nutritional punches. Just be careful with packing them with fruit and yogurts!
CaityCait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #5  

Look for green smoothie recipes on the internet - there are lots of good recipes out there with spinach /kale /collard greens and mix of fruits .
Meenaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
I personally disagree with the entire premise of this question because the implication is that there are drinks which will assist one in losing weight.

Fat loss is an equation of energy. Energy is measured in calories.

In my opinion, drinking your calories is not a good dietary habit. Eat your calories, don't drink them.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

If I'm pressed for time, or don't have what I need in the house to make a meal, I'll make a smoothie. Like John said, I'd prefer not to drink my calories away (except my vodkas on Saturday nights that NEED to stop).

If and when I do make a smoothie, I throw some hearty tasting fruits. Berries primarily. And then throw in a bunch of veggies as "filler" and nutrients. Spinach blended in a fruit smoothie is awesome. Along with Kale, quinoa, chia seeds. The berries take over the taste and you can get a pretty packed smoothie for low calories. as I said, I mainly do this when I'm cut short for time and need something to tie me over until an actual meal comes. That being said, I try to make the smoothie 200 calories or less.

From time to time I'll make a protein shake for post workout as my stomach (mentally possibly) won't allow me to eat even 2 hours after exercise without feeling like crap. So I have a light smoothie with protein powder, spinach, berries and a cup of unsweetened almond milk; with water to make it less thick.

In my opinion, I'd try to keep "liquid meals" to a minimum (unless you're doing a specific diet like IP or medifast). My liquids are 95% green tea and water.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #8  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I kick-started my weight loss by using a Magic Bullet blender to make smoothies every morning as a breakfast replacement. I'd use frozen berries, spinach, greek yogurt, protein powder, and a variety of other ingredients depending on my mood. I'd keep the calories relatively low and it made for a satisfying treat for the start of my day.

When you want assistance in losing weight, your best bet is to find a healthy way to lower your calories while still getting enough nutrition and staying satisfied (if you're not satisfied with your meals, you'll give up on your plan). A blender might help you in that respect, but everyone is different. I no longer make the smoothies very often, but they worked great as a crutch when I was transitioning to healthier eating habits.

Last edited by Elladorine; 05-13-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #9  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I have the Big Boss Blender (similar to Magic Bullet but far better in my opinion when it comes to quality. I have had it for 2 years - use it daily, and have never needed to replace anything!).

Anyways - I use it to blend ice, bananas, strawberries, mangos. - whatever fruit I have - and make smoothies all the time. I'll throw in carrots, cucumbers, spinach ect and BAM I have a super yummy drink that can be used as a snack or meal. I also use it to make my protein shakes after weight lifting.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

I love my blender. I mix plain yoghurt with strawberries and half a teaspoon of honey (you can use an arteficial sweetener if you like them), or half a banana, or apple and cinnamom every morning. It's fast and lovely breakfast and keeps me satisfied (I don't eat bread). It's also much more healthy and wholesome than actually buying a strawberry yoghut (which has never seen a singel strawberry in its life).
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

I'd recommend checking out some of the recipes on the Vitamix blender website. That blender is pretty strong, so you may not be able to do all the things with another blender (Blendtec is also pretty strong, not sure about others), but they have a huge number of recipes.

I'd recommend the soups as a good starting point for low calorie meal options. They also post nutrition information for all their recipes.

Also I'd tend to agree with John about drinking calories (I don't feel full from that), but some people seem to like a smoothie in the morning for breakfast. Their green smoothies have a good mix of fruit / veggies and are actually incredibly tasty. I do not like spinach AT ALL, but I couldn't taste it once it was blended in with the fruit (same with kale). (However, following the recipe portions may be important, so I'd recommend you look them up on the site.)

Last edited by my2cats; 05-27-2013 at 11:53 AM.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #12  
Procrastinator

S/C/G: 161/151.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Blenders make smoothies. True "juice" removed the fiber/pulp. I like (and have) both! If you want to "try" a juicer (they can be very pricey) watch for a used Jack Lalane on Craigslist. I got mine for about $25. I didn't want to invest money into something I wasn't sure I was going to use much. It has lasted MUCH longer than I though and I haven't had to upgrade yet.....

I'm going to try LuckyMommy's green smoothie recipe - sounds good!
MadKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #13  
Empress/Queen

I have a Nutri Bullet & it handles just about any produce I put in there. I make drinks out of frozen fruits & veggies as well as nuts, seeds, protein sources. I love these drinks for breakfast or snacks in the summer. It has nothing to do with weight loss, just a meal I like.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote