Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #1  

Default Ugh.. ARMS!!!!!

Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I need help! I have lost 70 lbs in 3 1/2 years through hard work and exercise. I am currently 5'11 and weigh 207 I am in a 10/12 jeans and large shirt. I know they say you can't "spot train"; in order to lose arms you gotta do lots of cardio/whole body workouts. That's what I've been doing for seemingly ever. My problem is, I have lost countless inches in my waist -- more specifically, 3 inches in the last 3 months after hard-hitting the gym 4 days a week.. but my arms have not even BUDGED!! I do about 20 minutes of treadmill a day (trying to beat my mile time everyday then fast walk/cool down afterwards). I also have been doing yoga and Pilates forever and just started on weights. I don't understand what the problem is.. any help would be appreciated!!
Zombie Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Cardio won't do anything. Weights is the solution. Depending on genetics, you may just have to accept some flab. But it looks a lot better when your arms are toned. You can do heavy weights (lifting) or more strength training. I do Jillian Michaels because I do not go to the gym and she has efficient workouts. I have nice muscle on top and flab still on the bottom. I hope the bottom will move with time.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I hear you! My arms are the exact same size they were when I was 25 pounds heavier!! They look way to big for my current body. Last month I started doing a mix of cardio and strength training and it seems to be working. Chalean Extreme is a great strength program (WAYY better than Jillian Michaels IMO). .. but pretty much lift heavy 3-4 times a week and hopefully it starts coming off!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #4  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Well, you can't spot train in order to lose weight or inches from a specific area, but you can "spot train" in order to tone muscle in a given area. I do weights and cardio. As for my workouts/weights, I do a full body workout except arms and shoulders every other day (Sat/Mon/Wed), and then on the alternate days (Sun/Tue/Thrs) I do arms and shoulders. My arms/shoulders are definitely my weakness, so I give them extra attention. Fridays are my rest day (well, actually, Fridays are the day I clean my house when I get home from work...but it's a rest from weights!).

In the past 8 weeks, I've lost weight all over, including 1 inch from my upper arms...although I'm the same as Lolo. I have reasonably well-defined muscle on the top (biceps) but not so good on the bottom (triceps), but I hope that will improve in time. My arms still have a way to go, but they're better than where they started 2 months ago.

I don't do a specific DVD nor do I go to a gym. I just do my own home workout with 5 lbs dumbbells and some resistance bands while playing my favorite music.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #5  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Aw sounds frustrating! IIRC, some people have said they experienced no weight loss with particular body parts until the very end of their weight-loss journey. Either way, I would definitely try strength training. I hope that brings the results you'd like. Good luck!

Last edited by belovedspirit; 05-09-2013 at 09:01 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm in the same spot. Unfortunately, I just have extra skin with some fat in it hanging off the bottom. I'm likely going to wind up getting it snipped and clipped next year so I can fit into shirts with sleeves!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

arms were definitely the 'last thing to go' for sure. I've got some droop but it got a lot better this past year. I did a lot of resistance bands that seemed to help the underneath bit (i'm so technical ha) and helping hubby renovate a house -- I did hours of work over my head, arms up, hurt like a SOB but did great things to me LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #8  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Along with my tummy my under arms are my problem area. Like PP my biceps are coming along nicely. My triceps are hidden under fat and skin. I started strength training again. Hopefully with weight loss and strength training I can have more definition.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #9  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I've started training with TRX -- it's like a big swingset frame in the gym with straps hanging from it. You hang onto the straps and lift using your own body weight. It's the only thing I've ever seen modify my arms! And, I only do it once a week because you have to have a trainer with you, and I can only go to one organized class.

Even just once a week, it's doing the job. My arms were HUGE! I hated them. I didn't measure, but I'm fitting into several shirts that had tight arms just a while back. I'm even more comfortable going sleeveless now. I still have a lot of flab and loose skin on the underside, like others indicated, but it's definitely tightening up. I'd do it more often if I could. Check it out!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #10  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

My arms are a problem for me too. I have heard mixed with nutrition and working your entire body, that strength or weight training will help tremendously as far as building the muscle to help burn fat all over, which in turn would help to tone up your arms.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #11  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
I've started training with TRX -- it's like a big swingset frame in the gym with straps hanging from it.

Hm. Interesting. I'm going to have to check this out and see if my gym has one.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote