Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default In between Challenges-Mixed CHAT Thread-Week 5 (05/06-05/12)

Hi gang!
Happy Monday.
After snow here in Calgary last Monday, we now are going to hit 25C or 75F today. Crazy I tell you. I wish it was less of a roller coaster, but not complaining as I'll take the warm weather.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I survived my 15k and now contemplating staying with the 10k distance or attempt a half.

Time to face the music & step on those scales. Be sure to update your sign up weight before midnight central time on Saturday May 11th.

Any questions just give me a shout!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Do the half! You get a shiny medal for doing a half!

I'm doing a slightly modified version of this for May, and it's kicking my butt. My arms are all WTF crazy lady?!?! My abs are curiously okay with it, so I may step up the ab workout a bit. I guess running has been toning them more than I realized. http://pinterest.com/pin/273875221062078987/

Also, the thought of anyone ever seeing me in a swimsuit makes me want to lock myself in the closet, so clearly the logical response is that I want to find someone to take proper swim lessons from and use swimming for cross-training. Plus I'm still thinking I'll do a tri one day...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #3  
Nicole

I am done with the semester! I'm so unbelievably happy right now. I haven't been sleeping much (stress induced insomnia coupled with nightmares) or eating much (upset tummy from being stressed), so I'm so ready for this break.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #4  
Believing is Seeing

S/C/G: 260/188/150

Height: 5'6"

This warm weather and lots of yard work haven't budged the scales since my drop to 217 but I've been faithful to my eating plan and I'm so looking forward to this challenge for the support, especially regarding exercise. We finished our turkey house and pen and it was quite enjoyable watching them as the sun set yesterday. On to the chicken tractor so the chickens can rototill my garden, yay! I may even end up with 3 fat chicks, lol .
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Wow, Mel, I'm impressed by your 15k, too! I'm just happy to be running 5k.

My new MEDIUM WIDTH sneakers finally came in, so I took them for a run on Sunday. I really like them. I didn't push myself - I was just happy to be able to run a full 5k. The old sneakers died so suddenly that I had to cut short my last several runs and even a couple walks.

The MS walk was great - weather was perfect, and the 3 infants/1 toddler/1 5-year-old with us all held up, too. Our team raised over $2500.

I was super active today - the trainer worked me HARD, and suggested I walk or run later today to work out the calf cramps I was fighting. So I walked 0.8 miles into the village, took a 1 hour bellydance class (for the first time!) and then walked home. Now I'm trying to talk myself out of a peanut butter reward. I'm struggling with eating - I'm just tired of dieting and barely losing. So it seems right to kick up the fitness a notch. We'll see how long I can keep it up.

Have a good midweek, everyone!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #6  
Nicole

I went to the local triathlon store today. After wrestling in and out of 10 suits, I bought a swimsuit, googles, and a swim cap. I'm starting swim lessons tomorrow. For now I'm using it as cross training to my running. It burns a lot of calories, works all the muscles, improves cardio-respiratory function, and is easy on my joints, which is perfect for off days from running. I'm also strongly considering a triathlon next year, so this will give me a good base for that. I'm NOT excited about anyone seeing me in my swimsuit. Trying on suits was rough on the self esteem. I wonder if I could find a place that does cosmic swim, like cosmic bowling.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #7  

Happy Friday All!
Last weekend before we start out next challenge.
Remember to update your starting weights before midnight May 11th - that's Saturday. I'll try to send out reminder to those that have signed up.

Lets share our NSV- non scale victories today.

I've squeeze my body into a pair of size 10 jeans. I'm a bit self conscious. Think they're too tight, but wore them anyway. I'll try to post a pic. And for comparison I added my progress photos from 2009 when I started my journey.

Nickel- no medal as these are bare bones races I'm running $15 bucks to register. Biggest fear right now is that it will be too warm by the end of June. Yay for cross training! Hope the swimming goes well. My thing with swimming is I never expel my breath all the way underwater so I 'gasp' for breath when I come up for air so to speak. If I ever swim on a regular basis, I think I'd get one of those breathing tubes, much like you use for snorkeling.

Riddy- good job on the fundraising for the MS walk. New sneakers - hooray! That's next on my list as all of a sudden between the race in April & in May I have acquired 4 black toenails- blech.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (5).jpg (24.7 KB, 15 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf progression (3).pdf (953.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by CanadaMel; 05-10-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8  
Nicole

Hmm, NSV. On a non-weight related note, I passed my stupid 400/500 level microbiology class. I was seriously worried about that! B+ or higher in the rest of my classes.

Weight/Fitness related NSV:
I went into a regular swim/tri shop and was able to fit into a normal size swimsuit
When I was wrestling in and out of a zillion suits, I didn't give in to the urge to just leave
I haven't skipped any runs this week, 3 down and 1 more to go
I didn't chicken out of my first swim this morning
I've been super hungry with the extra calories being burned, but I've stayed sensible with snack choices

My swim went well. I need to work a little on my breathing, but otherwise, I've pretty much got free style and backstroke. Just need to work on the endurance. I wouldn't have thought that swim lessons as a kid would have helped, but they must have. I'm comfortable in the water and have pretty decent technique, but I don't have any bad habits to unlearn. We spent 2.5 hours in the pool, and I am beyond exhausted and starving tonight.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #9  
Nicole

Mel, while I wholeheartedly approve getting fitted for new shoes (I <3 new shoes; I have 3 pairs right now that I rotate through), changing the lacing may help. I used to always have blisters on my right foot before I changed the lacing. http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/...ng-techniques/
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #10  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Getting so excited to see which team I'm on!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #11  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I was thinking I needed to get back on my plan.... ( STRICK PLAN ) and got here just in time to sign up today YEAH !!! I consider myself pretty dang lucky ! I am excited to see what happens .
Old 05-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #12  

Wow Mel you are rockin those jeans!!! You look awesome.
I'm in size 10 and I'm no wear as small as you are.....my have to be the total vanity size 10. I wish I looked like you do in yours.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #13  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Mel, Those jeans look fantastic! No need to be self conscious in them! And ditto to Bigmid - your size 10 body looks smaller than mine...

Nikel, I had no idea there were so many different lacing patterns for different issues. I do the lace lock - my heel slips a lot. In most sneakers it isn't even enough.

I am loving my new sneakers. I'm trying to go a little easy with them to start, since I was having pain at the end with the old kicks. So far I've done 2 short runs (30 min) and 1 long run (45 min), plus a couple walks.

And I bought a second pair of sneakers. Zappos had the Sauconys I tried on in the store in HOT PINK! I couldn't resist. I've never had a pair of cute girlie sneakers before.

I've lost weight 2 weeks in a row, which probably means I'll have a terrible weigh-in this week. Kinda glad I forgot to update my starting weight.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #14  

Awww you girls are too kind.
These jeans are from Northern Reflections via goodwill
It is amazing how sizing is so specific to brand

Bigmid- you should check out the MEC race series in Calgary- $15/race.
Next one is on June 29th- around Glemore Reservoir 5K, 10K or 21.1K.

So splurged yesterday and got some new shoes - New Balance 860 v3's AND a Garmin Forerunner 210 (GPS watch).

Oh my! Now I HAVE to run the half! Used it on a dog walk this morning and it's pretty wild- like big brother is watching.

Nikel- thanks for the lacing link. I did go up a half size to a 9 to give my tootsies some more space.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #15  
Nicole

Riddy, in my opinion having 2 pairs of running shoes is just smart. I have 3 pairs I rotate through that I only wear for running