Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #1  
Hopeful

S/C/G: 225.60/198.0/160

Height: 5'10"

Default What diet smoothies should I get?

I want to start having diet smoothies for breakfast, full of vitamins and nutrients, but I don't know which one to buy.

Can someone recommend a good meal replacement/nutritional mix PLEASE?
loriherdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Can you make your own? It honestly takes 5 minutes - especially if you have all the ingredients prepared - and it's much cheaper than purchasing a premade one.

You can use whatever protein powder you want - I prefer SunWarrior (which is brown rice) but there are lots of good whey protein isolates out there. Just watch out for any added sugars or sweeteners you may be avoiding. A lot are sweetened with stevia nowadays.

And then I just add in a cup of unsweetened almond milk (water or regular milk works too), some berries, some chopped kale and blend it all up. It's delicious.

If you don't like the protein powder idea you could use plain greek yogurt instead. It's got a good bit of protein in it as well.

If you make your own it's easily customizable to any plan you are following. Hope this helps!
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

I agree with gymrat; I also make my own and I like it because they are fresh, much cheaper and I can add any variation I want.

For one smoothie, I use:
1 banana
1 cup of fruit - I have supplies of frozen fruit (that I defrost before blending): raspberries, strawberries or mixed forest fruit. I also like to use kiwis (fresh).
1 cup of low-fat soy yogurt.

Just blend and they taste great! And like gymrat said you can definitely find a recipe that fits into your particular diet plan.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I make my own, also and they are very quick and easy to make. I always include a banana am most often use almond milk.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Yep - make your own.

I am doing low carb (as my body can't handle simple sugars) and I use a chocolate low carb whey powder, a cup of homemade 2% yogurt, and then a cup of partially thawed strawberries and blueberries. I throw it in the blender and give it a whirl.

Now, when I was pregnant and had gestional diabetes, I had an atkins shake as it was low carb and full of protein. Just remember they must be COLD. I wish I would have known about whey powder and yogurt back then. I can't drink milk, but yogurt is just fine!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #6  
it's always something

I agree with the others You can also take a multivitamin tablet if you feel like you need more nutrition. If you want protein, try to find a natural, plain, unsweetened protein powder (not flavored) that isn't full of chemicals and things you don't need.

I like to make a smoothie with a half of a banana, a cup of frozen strawberries (partially thawed), a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a tablespoon of ground flax seed. I also like to add fresh baby spinach leaves. If you are not used to spinach in your fruit smoothie, start with just a couple of leaves - you won't notice it - and gradually add more each time. It makes it so much healthier.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #7  

Default What diet smoothies should I get?

Why you want to get diet smoothies????If for weight loss so you can get green smoothie diet for weight losing..A healthy green smoothie is the perfect weight loss shake because it is loaded with vitamins, fiber and minerals. They contain very low fat and calories and help to boost your metabolism.
Most people us who try smoothies like them so much and they continue to drink them on a daily basis for life which is perfect for long term weight management and keeping lost pounds from coming back....
jazzpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There aren't many ready-made smoothies that I like, and the few I do like, always seem to have ingredients I need to avoid (such as wheat and sugar, both of which aggravate my arthritis, fibromyalgia, and autoimmune symptoms).

It really only takes an extra minute or two at most to make your own. I highly recommend un-denatured whey protein, because it dissolves more easily and completely and has a milder flavor (more like ordinary milk). It even dissolves well in cold liquids. If I'm in a huge rush, I'll pour the whey into a water bottle, add cold water from the fridge and a drink mix single, put the cap on and shake to mix.

Synthax Nectar is an un-denatured whey that comes in plain and flavored varieties, but I get my undenatured whey from a local, small dairy, which is quite a bit cheaper than ordering online, so if you can find a local source you can save quite a bit.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170-150-103

Height: 5'1

Talking 4 Those with Sensitive Digestive Systems

While I love Juicing & making smoothies, I've learned that Fruits & Veggies do not mix well & well.......I have a sensitive digestive system, so I have to be careful with it.

Fruits take 15 minutes to digest. Veggies take 45 minutes to digest. Mix them together & then ones digestive system, will be thrown for a loop. Now, mind you, that depends on the person: as some people have a better digestive system. However, with my sensitive digestive system, I do not risk throwing it for a loop. Now, I've learned this from a book called: Recipes for Life from Gods Garden, By Rhonda J. Malkmus. She also has a guide as to what fruits mix well with other fruits & what Veggies mix well with other veggies, etc.......!! Of course, it is up to each individual to decide what we do with our own bodies. I usually use her guidelines when making smoothies, however it's been a long time & I'm just getting back into the swing of things again.

It is ideal as mentioned above to watch out for sugars. Some of us are sensitive to dairy & wheat products, so it for sure is always good to be careful what one puts in their smoothies/juices.

While I love Honey & used to have it in my smoothies, I recently found out that I had a sensitivity to honey. However, ya never know until you try.

*I say this because my digestive system is sensitive & others may find they have a sensitive digestive system.

Blessed2BeeAlive is offline   Reply With Quote