Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/ticker/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Screwed up after ONE day on plan

Hi guys -
I've been a lurker for a long time but I've just started Weight Watchers and making a real effort. I have only managed to make it ONE day without a binge, and I just did it again - even though I told myself I wouldn't. I work in an office and someone brought in pizza and cookies and they were in front of me and I knew it was just a matter of time until I caved.
I don't know why I'm posting this really, I guess I just wanted to put it out there.
robotfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #2  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I know that I've done that--failed to get started--not lasting a day, or maybe a few days, before eating something I wasn't going to and falling off plan.

I'm a big fan of cognitive behavior therapy. If you think that might help you, borrow one of Judith Beck's book from the library--there are exercises that might give you some guidance on how to handle those situations.

I know I've just made a hard and fast rule for myself--no unplanned snacking at work. I pack my own lunch and snack everyday--and I don't snack no matter what people bring in. I don't have to argue with myself about it, because I have a rule, if that makes sense. I just tell myself "those donuts have nothing to do with me" or "that's not one of my choices". It was hard at first (in January when I started this and people brought in donuts it seemed like every week). It's easy now because I don't give myself a choice. I hope that makes sense--it didn't start out easy, though--I had to struggle through those first boxes of donuts, and even now, I don't want to smell them!

Good luck--you can do this!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotfingers View Post
I have only managed to make it ONE day without a binge, and I just did it again - even though I told myself I wouldn't. I work in an office and someone brought in pizza and cookies and they were in front of me and I knew it was just a matter of time until I caved.(
You had the bad luck of being subjected to a strong temptation just one day after embarking on a new lifestyle. I'm pretty sure I would have caved as well. Once you have a few days, weeks and months of good eating under your belt, it will become easier to resist such temptations. As several people on this board have pointed out, willpower is like a muscle. Every time you exercise it, it gets stronger.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #4  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

don't feel bad...just get right back on track and move forward! I fell prey to an Oreo cake of all things today! The trick I use, though, is that if I can't completely ignore the bad food, I just have a bite or two. In this case, I allowed a teeny tiny sliver that amounted to 2 bites. I'd rather not eat it, but it beats eating a whole piece!

It gets easier. I don't do WW, but I do follow South Beach...
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I totally get it. It's so hard to resist temptation. The nice thing about WW though is that you can work it into your program. Maybe have a game plan for next time? Figure out how many points each slice is (sorry I'm not doing WW so I don't know) and then allow yourself however many you think are worth it. Maybe you could have one slice and 1/2 a cookie next time? For dinner, you could fill up on lots of steamed veggies and chicken breast to make up for it. These temptations will pop up all the time so the more you can plan for how you can handle them, the better. Also, make sure you're not hungry because hunger will play powerful tricks on your mind.

Please know that I have a huge problem controlling myself and just because I can dish out advice doesn't mean I wouldn't have caved as well.

Don't give up! Think of how happy you'll be one year from now if you don't let this derail you completely.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #6  
Florence

S/C/G: 155/152/132

Height: 5'6''

i am sure there's people that say "from today, i will never binge again" and they actually never binge again (same with people who quit smoking from one day to another and never go back to it).

but there's a whole other bunch of people that are not like that. like me. that see progress in the long run: instead of seeing it as a failure just cause you didn't keep up, see it like, this week, 1 out of 7 days you did good, while maybe last week you did 0 days good... and next week maybe you will do 3 days good (not necesarilly on a row) and then the week after that, back to 0 days... and then maybe a whole week, and then binge........

it's ups and downs, but the important thing is that when maybe after a year you look back, you can see that, even though you are still overeating here and there, you've made progress. maybe you can spend a whole month with no overeating, and then one day it happens cause it was at a party, and then a year later you don't even overeat at a party, or cause you had pizza and cookies right in front of you: you decide that 2 slices of pizza were good enough (i am making it up, to give an example)

my point is: do not focus on the "failure" of not keeping it up after 1 day. see the good in that 1 day, and believe you can keep making progress even though you fall from the wagon here and there.
loser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/ticker/164

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everybody - I felt way less guilty after I read your responses.
robotfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/see ticker!/150

Height: 5'6"

Yeah you shouldn't feel bad about it. Trying to not binge is extremely hard. I'm still having a hard time trying not too.

I work in a grocery store. We have tons of produce, so you'd think I'd have no problem hitting that area up right?

Wrong!!! My store recently got two whole stands filled with Mars candies (Snickers, M&M's, Twix, ect.) And they are 3 for a dollar. ANY THREE FOR A DOLLAR!!! That's insane! and I only have a 15 min break so time goes by fast when you want a snack, and the produce is way on the other side of the store, while the candy is closer to the break room and registers. So lately i've been snacking on 3-6 snickers a day.....

But that needs to stop, and thanks to the people of this site for all their support, I'm not going to beat myself up and give up so easily and neither should you. We're all human, and none of us are perfect.
CannaBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201.6/137/135

Height: 5'2"

Been there, done that, got the tshirt! I managed to lose 70+ pounds regardless after years of ups and downs. Now back here because I've been bingeing lately so I've gained a few pounds back, about 7. My point is, this journey is NOT linear or perfect, because we are humans, not robots. So don't beat yourself up and get back on track
Charin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/183/150

Height: 5'7

I'm doing real bad myself with the food.
mrslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: hw:290/sw:215/cw:188/gw:140

Height: 5'3

Don't give up. Just get up. dust yourself off and keep going.
tapifish is offline   Reply With Quote