Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Do you think there is enough information out there...

about losing weight long term? Most success stories you see are people losing 50 pounds or working out for 3 months with phenomenal results. There's very few long-term weight loss stories out there. Before I ever started losing weight years ago, I had these misconceptions that I would look amazing after losing 50 pounds. Nope. 80? Nope. No one talks about the emotional struggles to lose weight. Success stories (from the media) talk about their "best tips," exercise, and how great it feels to fit into that size 2/bikini/whatever! I want to hear the nitty gritty. I want to hear the emotion. Cause losing weight is hard. It's an ongoing battle (at least it is for me). I have to focus on it at least 60% of the time (mentally, exercise, grocery shopping, cooking, planning). Even though I'm not entirely pleased about my progress so far, I keep reminding myself that if I keep at it, it will happen.

What do you think?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #2  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I hear ya.....I've been at this since January 2012 and have lost 94lbs and I am just now starting to think I look a little better. I look at myself and still see all the flaws and what needs work. It's definitely a daily battle emotionally, mentally and physically.

What helps me is coming here and reading everyone's stories because we are all going thru this together and can totally relate to another. Also, it's real. Real people, real life. What is portrayed on certain websites or by the media, I don't know how sensationalized it is or how real it is. Here, I know it's authentic.
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Losing weight is far more mental than I thought. I just read this blog post on the subject. http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/...ssion.html?m=1 ( I think the writer posts here) .

I feel completely obsessed with the process and as I near goal I am struggling with regaining balance in my life ( and brain) without regaining weight. I feel like all of my mental energy has gone into making these changes and my artistic life has suffered a bit. Does not make sense, but that seems to be it. I stopped doing the other things that I love. I know there is room for both, but I fear changing focus will cause me to regain. Anyone else experience this? Maintainers???
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #4  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
Cause losing weight is hard. It's an ongoing battle (at least it is for me). I have to focus on it at least 60% of the time (mentally, exercise, grocery shopping, cooking, planning).
Absolutely, I have to focus on it. I have to plan our weekly menu, and then each night, plan everything I'm going to eat the next day. Because we're eating so much more fresh food, there are two grocery trips every week--one for almost all the food, and an extra one that is basically only produce. When I serve food (or pack lunch), I have to measure (or weigh) everything. I pack lunch instead of buying it so that I control what I'm eating. There's exercise time thrown in there.

I read and re-read my Beck Diet Solution books--I slacked off a bit and started ignoring a few basics, so I have to spend at least 15-20 minutes every day re-reading the books and keeping all the concepts fresh. I read my Advantages Response Card every day. (it's a card that lists all the advantages I'll have from losing weight).

I record everything in MFP. I spend time on 3FC every day, since it keeps me connected and motivated. I post to at least 2 threads daily (the Beck Diet forum and which ever "get out of" thread I'm currently in) so that I'm accountable for what I'm doing.

I talk about it with DH.

And I actively think about food intake often--so that I resist anything that isn't on my plan. (like the cookies one of the guys brought in today)

It takes time, it takes energy, it requires that I've made it a real priority in my life, and by extension, DH and whichever offspring are home. Heck, even our guests get affected since it affects what I cook.

edited to add: Oh, and clothes. There's energy in going through what does and doesn't fit, acquiring (or finding in the closet) clothes that do fit...

Some of you have lost so much weight and think it doesn't show--but it does. Whenever someone shows pictures it's clear that there's a big difference--but I think it's hard to see it in one's self, so it can feel as if all that effort and energy hasn't had an effect--but it has!

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 05-06-2013 at 09:43 AM.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #5  
I WILL do this!

S/C/G: 271/235/130

Height: 5 foot even

dstalksalot, I am definitely not maintaining but do know what you mean. A couple years ago I went from 271 down to 175ish. I was so focused on my weight loss it consumed me. When I started focusing on my career more I started gaining the weight back. I was devastated but also so happy with the progress my business had made that I totally lost focus on my weight. Now I have to get back on focus to lose weight and manage my business.
AdorkablePG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I sometimes get frustrated when I see something on t.v. where they show someone has lost a bunch of weight. They just show the before and after and a sample menu as well as maybe some of the workouts involved. However, you're right...they don't go into how incredibly difficult it can be. Sure, there are some people who get on a diet and find it very easy, drop the weight and feel great, but how long do they keep it off? What about all the people who don't find it so easy? Anyway, I get what you're saying! I feel the same way.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yes there is, unfortunately there is probably 100x more crap that confuses people and makes the good stuff impossible to find.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #8  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I sometimes get frustrated when I see something on t.v. where they show someone has lost a bunch of weight. They just show the before and after and a sample menu as well as maybe some of the workouts involved. However, you're right...they don't go into how incredibly difficult it can be. Sure, there are some people who get on a diet and find it very easy, drop the weight and feel great, but how long do they keep it off? What about all the people who don't find it so easy? Anyway, I get what you're saying! I feel the same way.

This is how I feel about Biggest Loser. DH and I love watching that show but we both always comment that they never show what they eat....except when they are plugging a certain brand.
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

I find that I spend a great deal of time looking through pictures and forums online and actively looking for maintainers within my community. I find that the great majority, who lost more than 50, don't keep the weight off. But, I also find that those individuals didn't properly phase to maintaince, took doctor prescribed weight loss pill and did not change their habits, or they completed their diet and went back to their old way of eating. Scouring for these stories and that of actual successes has helped me figure out what they did right or wrong and what I can do to maintain once I get there. Much like ex-smokers are always faced with the very real threat of picking up the habit again, us dieters are faced with the risk of regaining. It is only our knowledge of how we got so big and how we got it off plus what we need to do to keep it off plus our will power that will net us long lasting results. I believe I can do it this time. Because I have taken the time to educate myself on what has gone wrong with so many others...and what has gone right with a fortunate few. It will, for the rest of my life, revolve around planning and counting and exercising. But if it sets the fondation for a healthier life, than I can do that without any negative thoughts. Heck, at this point it is almost second nature as is, so all is well in this world over here
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think there have been many books about weight loss, some good some bad. I read some of them when I was obese but was not ready or willing to do anything about it. I think many of us might fall in this category. Finding 3FC was a lifesaver for me, although I was a member for about a year before I got serious about losing. I learned , not only from success but the failures, as well.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #11  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

And I forgot to mention that no one ever talks about lose skin (which is another reason 3FC is awesome)! I've been obese my whole life. I don't think I'll ever get to wear a bikini but maybe a really cute tankini. I'm currently trying to pack healthy foods for a camping trip and just scavenging around for good things that are healthy/keep my energy up. It's hard because all I will have is a mini camping stove. No open fire or grill. Not a lot of room in my car/cooler either.

Last edited by Daimere; 05-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Losing is hard, it requires a lifestyle change.

Maintaining is harder! I know!
I've been at it for 18 months plus now.

Being good at it, requires a mental shift. It requires we accept, that if we really want, what we say we want, we have to accept and do what it takes. I never say I can't eat whatever, I say I don't. I'm faithful to my workouts, because it relieves stress and makes ME feel better.

We can quit smoking or drinking or drugs or a lot of things, but we can't quit eating.

So this process requires we figure out how to move our thinking.

For myself, I had to realize, that, I will always have to keep a food journal. That is vital.

I did discover, I like working out! But I do workouts I like.

As far as loose skin, stretch marks, and flappy arms and fupa's and so on.

Some things are what they are.

I was never as heavy as some, but I had twin babies that weighed over 6 pounds each! I gained 65 pounds in 9 months! My tummy will never be the same! It is riddled with stretch marks, and loose skin. My poor girls are long and floppy.

So be it. I have, stretch marks, I have a floppy tummy, I have floppy girls.

That is ok. My body is an amazing thing! When I was pregnant, I had 3 heads, 6 arms, 6 legs, 24 fingers, 6 thumbs, and 3 sets of DNA!

And now, thanks to all of that, I have 3 beautiful grandchildren and one on the way!

I would not change a thing! I may be considered strange by some, but I look at myself every morning in the mirror, and think, dang, I've put my body through a lot, and it is still there for me, and if I treat it well, it will treat me well!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
Losing is hard, it requires a lifestyle change.

So be it. I have, stretch marks, I have a floppy tummy, I have floppy girls.

That is ok. My body is an amazing thing! When I was pregnant, I had 3 heads, 6 arms, 6 legs, 24 fingers, 6 thumbs, and 3 sets of DNA!

And now, thanks to all of that, I have 3 beautiful grandchildren and one on the way!

I would not change a thing! I may be considered strange by some, but I look at myself every morning in the mirror, and think, dang, I've put my body through a lot, and it is still there for me, and if I treat it well, it will treat me well!
I REALLY ADMIRE THIS!
This is how I am striving to be. You have a beautiful outlook. I wish all people would practice appreciating their AMAZING bodies more. The most highly refined vehicles ever created/developed (whatever you believe They create, carry, and sustain life. The body is a wonder to me, I wish I had taken better care of mine starting at 18 rather than 26.
Beauty as defined by the likes of cosmo and GQ is transient, external...beauty as defined by me is internal, and has an eternal, positive, rippling effect on humanity.

PS-I always say that the only reason I had children was to be a grandmother! Haha!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote