Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 296/275/135

Height: 5'6"

Default was feeling great till I saw a pic of myself

Ok I've lost about 30 pounds in the last year and a half. I feel like I should be losing more but I've been working full time and working to finish my grad degree (this weekend coming is graduation woot!).

I have been proud of the weight loss that I've managed (started at 296). Today we were taking pictures in our class and one of my classmates sent me a pic of myself. I am completely gutted at how fat I look. I know I'm still less than I was but for some reason I just feel like I don't look any different and I am so dissapointed.

Once I'm done with school I feel like I can jump back on the weightloss train, but I have to say it is such a struggle and I feel like I'm never going to get there. I haven't lost any weight in the past 6 months.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

You'll get there, so get back with it and you will not be disappointed. I find pictures hard to deal with as well. My advice is to ignore them and use the mirror instead! If I look in the mirror and then take a picture of me looking in the mirror, I always look bigger in the picture! It's just the way it is, so don't sweat it!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #3  

Height: 5"6

I had this exact experience today, dagmar. I feel ya. The way I see it- we all have pics that are unflattering. I can easily look at a pic taken the other day that gives me a double chin due to some thin person not understanding how camera angles work on me. Instead, I try to look at my facebook profile pic- one where I look decidedly sexy.

We all have pics that look less attractive, but when we are losing weight, I think we tend to take it more personally. In this digital age, every image captured of us can't look like a million bucks. I have pics from my low weight of 150 where I still think I looked fat...it's a vicious cycle.

My advice is find some recent pics of yourself that you DO enjoy. If you don't have any, take a few on your web cam. Don't let the bad shots fool you from knowing how vivacious you are
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #4  

I know exactly how you feel! I've never ever liked most pictures of myself, much less up here closer to my high weight. My advice is to keep your chin up and let it roll off your back. Easier said than done, I know, but it's really the only way for me personally to keep going. Look for qualities in yourself that you like. Think about how you might look at your goal weight. Get excited about the possibilities, but don't forget to love yourself as you are this very moment. Lose the weight not because you hate your body, but because you love it enough to treat it right. Keep going! You'll get there
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #5  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

Pictures are sometime hard to look at because we are our own worse critics. You've accomplished so much already - and getting your grad degree...very cool! Just keep up the good work!
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I'm with ya, too. The scale does it to me too. If I feel like I've had a great week but the scale wasn't kind...I feel suddenly fat. 5 mins before I felt super. Weight loss really is mostly in your head. So tell yourself the same things you would tell a good friend if she was struggling. And the alternative is giving up and looking even fatter at the next picture...so....you're a work in progress....that's fine. You've done much to be proud of!!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I really understand your pain. I really do. I do the same thing! On top of that, I actually look in the mirror and think I'm just as fat as I was when I started, even though I know I've lost 40 pounds.

I agree that when we are losing weight, we become hyper aware of our size. We focus on the weight more. Focus on how we look more. It drives me crazy!

Just keep working at it, and remind yourself of the progress you have made. Maybe even have someone take some flattering photos of you for a different perspective.

Hugs!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Pictures can be rough, angles, how your posed, etc can so easily distort the truth. I've done the same thing. The pictures I rely on the most are my progress pictures that I take along the way. Same pose, same background, tight fitting clothes. I can look at these and see the physical changes. 30lb is a big loss, the picture you took may not be the best representation of how you currently look, but you know you are actually 30lbs smaller. Try not to let it get you down.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #9  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Keep the picture so that you have something to compare your "after" pics to when you finally post in the goal section

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 05-05-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #10  
MaryGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Ok I've lost about 30 pounds in the last year and a half. I feel like I should be losing more but I've been working full time and working to finish my grad degree (this weekend coming is graduation woot!).
Once I'm done with school I feel like I can jump back on the weightloss train, but I have to say it is such a struggle and I feel like I'm never going to get there. I haven't lost any weight in the past 6 months.
-------

I assume you haven't lost anything in six months because you've been devoting your time to your studies?? Don't understand why it should make any difference if you're going to school - or working full-time, or what -- you still have to eat so you have the choice to eat "wisely" or not. Poor choices = no weight loss. Unless there's a health issue you didn't mention.

Be proud of the weight you've lost so far and get back on track. Because you're right - at times it is a struggle -- but what are the options: (1) eat right and lose weight; or (2) don't eat right and you not only won't lose weight but you'll probably gain the 30 pounds back, and more.

Wish you the best of luck. And Congratulations on your graduation!
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #11  
Train Insane

S/C/G: 191/151/135

Height: 5'8"

I have to agree with the forreal. It sounds harsh, but if you want to make it work in the long run you need to be able to eat right through the hard times as well as when you're busy and rushed. That being said, of course there are cheat days and days where you make mistakes, but that's what life is, and if you want to make a lifestyle change then you need to always incorporate it.

As for the picture, you're a work in progress! And we all take pictures that we hate. I've taken great ones at 190 and horrible ones at 160 haha. It just depends on the angle! Use it as motivation You can do it!
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You maintained a loss! Through a stressful and busy time!

That is a success!

Congratulations on your graduation!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Seriously - I could have written this post! I am in the EXACT same boat as you. (thank god finals are this week) - but I work 40-45 hours a week plus go to school. My weight loss has been slower than a snail. I have managed to lose 16 pounds, but it's taken me 4 months. I personally always think I am doing great until I see a picture of myself that somebody else took and I still feel I look the same. The best advice I can give you, is even if you only have 45 minutes, work out. I feel great knowing I tried to squeeze in a workout even when I didn't have the time. Try to prepare your meals for the week on Sunday - thinks like chicken, lean beef, etc work great. Paired with some veggies and brown rice work wonders. I am able to leave on my lunch break so sometimes I will grab a salad and throw some things together and have that. It takes time, but just keep thinking how far you've COME not how far you have to GO.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I hear you. I saw a pic of me taken recently and realized that I really do need to lose another 20lbs. More really, but I am trying to be realistic.

Maybe you lost the whole 30 lbs somewhere the camera couldn't see. Under the circumstances, I think 30lbs is excellent.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

SAME HERE!!

I feel a bit thinner than I actually look, but I wish my head and what I saw in the mirror were on the same page.

Although I've gone down the most I have ever in my life from dieting I still haven't gone down a full size (I wear random sizes in diff brands but haven't gotten down a size in any one brand) it's really annoying but I have faith that it will happen one day!

Just dont give up! and take measurements!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote