Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default Am I doing enough?

So I had my annual physical Tuesday. The results show I lost a bit of weight (last year was 231, this year 223), borderline blood pressure and borderline cholesterol (good cholesterol was great though), great sugars. So, she says keep doing what I'm doing and she'll recheck it next year. So, she obviously thinks I can do lower it without meds. So, I'm a calorie counter. I eat most of my carbs from fruits and veggies (I had 7 fruits yesterday ) ...an occasional sandwich from high fiber bread. I don't eat red meat often (once a month maybe), we eat a lot of beans (homemade soups, no salt as we make our own broth). I don't eat sweets....barely any dairy (an occasional greek yogurt). I plan on adding some fish oil to my diet. I exercise everyday (cardio and weights 3xper week...1 hour total every day). Am I doing enough? If I just keep swimming.....next year, I should be lower weight (I'm a calorie counter).
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #2  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

It sounds like you are doing a lot of the same things I'm doing...my cholesteral is a bit on the high side as is my blood sugar so I'm being really careful about sugars and fats. I probably don't eat as much fruit as I should...usually just in the morning with breakfast. I've tried taking fish oil...but the pills are so large I almost choked - I wonder if they make smaller ones?

It sounds like a good sign if your doctor didn't want to prescribe anything and doesn't want to check for another year - it sounds like you have a very healthy lifestyle. I'm no expert, not even a novice, I just wanted to congratulate you on the work you have done so far!
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My doctor told me that you don't have to lose a lot of weight to improve your blood pressure and cholesterol. Something like 10% of your body weight. Since you are eating healthy and exercising I think you can do it too! I'm sure you want to show another substantial change at your next doctor visit! Keep up the good work!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #4  

I think you are doing great and off to a good start!

The only thing that stood out to me was the 7 fruits! I'd try to balance those more equally with vegetables or even try to have more vegetables than fruit (maybe 5 vegetables and 2 fruits) if you are going to eat that many a day. Fruits are very good for you but there is more natural sugar in them than the vegetables. And try not to repeat the fruits in the same day (such as, don't have a banana for breakfast and then another in the afternoon).

Does your insurance cover a visit to a nutritionist? Maybe you could bring a copy of your food log (on MFP or even hand written) for a review and see what could be improved on it?

Either way, I think you are doing great and the fact that your doctor said "see you next year!" speaks volumes to you being on the right track. Good luck!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #5  

Thanks all! I'm reading up on the current science on fructose (even from fruit) and it's connection to LDL. My HDL was good though. Even with the fruits yesterday (actually was 6, was busy and would rather eat that then anything else) I had about 55 grams of fructose (2 bananas, 2 apples, 4 clementines). I do eat lots of veggies too. And I don't use sugar or have processed foods. I'm also a housecleaner by trade so I'm cleaning for about 3-4 hours of heavy cleaning per day...so I'm active. I'm concerned because I actually weigh less than last year and my numbers got worse. So maybe it is a fruit thing? I'm going to try to cut back to 2 a day most days and see if that makes a difference. My fats come from olive oil or coconut oil (small amount used to pop popcorn) and nuts (not everyday and not more than 1 serving). There are just so many "theories" with cholesterol, even within the medical world, that it's tough to navigate the should and should nots. I'm on PubMed currently trudging through data. UGH! LOL. I do have a familial history of high cholesterol and high blood pressure. But we also have obesity, too, so .....which came first...the chicken or the egg? Who knows? My vitamin D levels were, too...and there's yet another theory. LOL! So, I'm going to keep on controlling what I can control...I have to eat the way I can normally eat for life ( and sometimes that means 6 fruits in a day) and where the numbers are...they are. I can only do what I can do. It's odd...I feel like I failed a test....didn't do enough, ya know?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #6  

You didn't fail anything!! You are trying to eat right, you came here to post, and you are conscious of everything you should and have to do. I'd say you ACED it!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
You didn't fail anything!! You are trying to eat right, you came here to post, and you are conscious of everything you should and have to do. I'd say you ACED it!!
Thank you. I needed that!