Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1  

Default What The World Eats (in pictures)

I saw this link on another forum I frequent and found it very interesting.

http://imgur.com/a/mN8Zs

It said it was a week's worth of food but some of the pictures seem like it's so much! It's interesting how much (or not) of the food is fresh fruits and vegetables plus some seem to have so much soda/juice in them. The poorer countries make me sad that they don't have the variety that other countries do but I'm sure they are healthier than the more well to do countries.

And it made me think too, I started my new way of life 9 months ago. My shopping this week probably contains less than 10% of the "junk" it did this time last year. And I have never felt better in all my life!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Wow, that is interesting and does seem like so much! I have been having trouble eating all my produce before it goes bad - cause I buy quite a bit so I have variety all week and not eating the same things - but it will go bad before I get a chance to eat it a second or third time. Also I don't buy nearly as much as these people because its just me, my fiance, and our 4 year old son.

And way to go Elvis!! I am slowly cutting out the junk too, and am so proud of myself. I could never control myself before if there was junk anywhere near in site. But I have low fat ice creams and dark chocolate right in the fridge/freezer and I feel less and less need to have one.

By the way the fact that you lost 130 lbs in 9 months is phenomenal and I hope I am where you're at in 9 months!
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #3  

Thanks, skettihead!! It's been a whirlwind of almost a year!! I'm on a medically supervised diet so I do have help with my planning and accountability so I can't take all the credit. And if there is no junk in the house, I'm not tempted to go off plan. (The 10% of the junk I still buy is for the husband and the dog! I can't expect them not to eat treats even when I can't have them!! )

I buy fruit and veggies about every 3-4 days as we were throwing out so much too (it's just DH and I). But I also keep a supply of frozen so I don't have any excuse not to be eating them! I prefer the fresh but it's just not always practical.

I checked out all the décor in those pictures too plus looked twice at the expressions on the people's faces. So interesting how alike we are no matter where in the world we are.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Whats funny is my fiance is usually the one eating my 'junk'! He ate at least half of my dark chocolate bar (its squares and I'll usually have 2 which is half the serving size) and he's eaten quite a few of my skinny cows so I like to tease him for that one since he'd probably never admit to eating a skinny cow ice cream

Yes, I totally agree about the pictures! I found my groceries to be so similar to a couple of the countries and some of the families reminded me of my own or friends. It was pretty sad to see the USA picture and see all pizza, potato chips, Mcdonalds & Burger king in comparison to the other countries, but hey it's the sad truth. All I know is that's not this girls household anymore!
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Wow, thanks for sharing, it was surprising and moving to see some of the countries.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

That is so interesting.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #7  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I saw this exhibit - it is amazingly powerful! It made me cry to think how much food I have and to see what the people of Chad and Mali are eating.

mmmm India and Turkey look good! (of course two of my favorite types of cuisine too)

I wonder if having to photograph what i ate for a week would help me to make better choices. I always feel ashamed when I have wrappers in the garbage can because it means I was consuming a lot of processed food. LOVE IT when the compost bin is full (assuming it is not full because too many things spoiled! nooooooo...)

Thanks for posting this. It is a great reminder.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

This is great, really fascinating.

I thought it was interesting that some of the families eat lots of bread and potatoes yet are of healthy weight. So maybe carbs aren't the issue but portion sizes are?

And it was interesting to see how the US, Canada, England and to some degree Australia have so much more processed food than the other countries. Lots of veggies in these other countries too.

Finally, I found the Mexican family interesting. Looks pretty healthy, but then you see bottle after bottle of Coke in the background
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #9  
Annie

Height: 5'2"

Seeing what the world eats was very interesting..thank you for sharing and congratulations on your progress in weight loss!!!
NightowlAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Every time I see that I'm impressed with the amount of beer for the German family
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/135/125

Thanks for sharing, that was quite interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Every time I see that I'm impressed with the amount of beer for the German family
I am German and I have to admit that we are drinking quite a lot of beer. Legal drinking age for "soft alcohol" such as beer is 16, all other kinds of alcohol 18. The pictures seems a little exagerated though There's 20 bottles of beer plus 4 bottles of wine for two adults. I don't think the kids are anywhere near the age of 16.
Amygdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #12  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

So much processed crap in almost every country! I wonder what percentage of Americans really eat like the family pictured? It's certainly nothing like my weekly food consumption. Ecuador made me sad....it's a family of 10 and all they have is bananas and beans.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

So interesting, thank you for posting this!

It's quite incredible how much food one eats a week. If you've ever tried backpacking and taking all your food with you, you've probably realized to carry a week worth of food on your back is almost impossible, not to speak about water.
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

The Canadian one is quite accurate, actually, I thought I saw my own fridge!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My husband eats so many carbs, but has never had a weight problem. I think he burns it off as he is always doing something...never sits and watches TV etc. At dinner, his plate is 3/4 potatoes, LOL, and maybe a spoonful of veggies. Never a raw veggie. And no fruit. I gain 5 pounds just cooking his potatoes!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote