Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Dress dilemma. Return or Not?

So what would you do?

I have an event coming up in two weeks where I need to look very put together because I'm giving a speech. I bought a dress that was pricey. It is a perfectly nice dress to wear but it's more the type of "cover up your fat" dress... not something I would normally buy, but when I bought it I was almost 10 lbs heavier that I am now (woot!) It's a 2X, and kind of a big 2X.

So, now, I can't decide. If I keep the dress, I have something that I know looks good "for now." But it pains me to keep something expensive that I'm sure will end up in the Goodwill box if I lose another 20 pounds. It's that kind of sack dress that really doesn't look good once it's too big.

I don't really have anything else suitable. I usually work at home, I got rid of all my fat clothes last time around, and so I don't have a lot of outfits to choose from...

What would you guys do?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Why not return it and buy one that fits you better? Or is cheaper? There's no sense spending a lot of money on something that you think looks like a sack!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #3  

I have wasted so much $$ on bigger clothes during this weightloss journey. I say bring it back and like Stella said, get something cheaper and better fitting!

Wearing clothes that fit my current size was important to me as I had to feel good to keep motivated. But now I'm heartbroken that I only wore some of the clothes a few times and now can't even justify wearing them once more since they are huge.

Hold onto the dress in case you don't find anything for the event but if you do, bring back the bigger dress!

Good luck.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #4  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Stella & Elvislover!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/163/138

Height: 5"8

Have you considered getting it tailored? Clothes are really made to fit people so if you get it taken in once it's too big then you can get a lot more life out of it and a much better fit.
GobabyGoGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #6  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobabyGoGO View Post
Have you considered getting it tailored? Clothes are really made to fit people so if you get it taken in once it's too big then you can get a lot more life out of it and a much better fit.
^ I was going to say this.

But if you have a find time finding a tailor, or don't want to go through the process and cost, then I would echo the previous advice about returning the current dress IF you find something cheaper and nice.

Sounds like an important night. Good luck!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree with Stella.
PS Tailoring is expensive, especially if you are not at goal.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #8  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Didn't someone recently post about renting clothes? http://intro.gwynniebee.com/collections/sneak-peek
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
Didn't someone recently post about renting clothes? http://intro.gwynniebee.com/collections/sneak-peek
Wow that is kind of epic! Definitely going to bookmark it for when I start dropping sizes. I was going to also suggest searching for something smaller & cheaper and then returning the dress you have if you find something, but this is a really neat idea.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Wow. Gwynnie Bee is a GREAT idea. I spent so much money buying clothes in different sizes and then gave away everything-- the last thing I want to do is buy more big clothes that I know I'm going to give away. Has anyone here tried it?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #11  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfit View Post
Wow that is kind of epic! Definitely going to bookmark it for when I start dropping sizes. I was going to also suggest searching for something smaller & cheaper and then returning the dress you have if you find something, but this is a really neat idea.
Yup....Seems pretty legit too! People seem to love them on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/GwynnieBee
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #12  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Definitely return and find something more flattering that fits properly. If it's already a bit too big now, then it'll be huge soon.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #13  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

This is going to sound redundant...but why keep a dress that doesn't fit you now and is soon to be even bigger on you? Give yourself a week to find something more suitable...maybe a friend has something you could borrow, or you could always go to a consignment shop.

I raided my friend's "fat" clothes for new "skinny" clothes tonight because I don't want to spend a lot of money on new clothes that I won't wear very long.

I might have to check out renting some clothes...that sounds kinda fun. At least I wouldn't have buyer's remorse.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #14  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1609 View Post
Why not return it and buy one that fits you better? Or is cheaper? There's no sense spending a lot of money on something that you think looks like a sack!
This^^
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #15  

I second talking to friends. On my street there is a woman who is a similar size to me and we call each other before events and go shopping in each other's closet. The only cost is getting the item dry cleaned before returning!
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote