Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/see ticker!/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm already starting to feel discouraged :(

I signed up with this forum yesterday. I'm not disappointed with it. I'm just disappointed with myself. I think i've plateaued, already. I've been dieting and exercising since March. And at first i lost 16 lbs. My lowest weight so far this year was 216 (which use to be my highest weight ever). For the past 2-3 weeks i've been bouncing from 220-218. There is no way in **** i want to stay in that range. I'm getting extremely discouraged with everything. This morning I don't even want to workout because it feels like it wont make a difference. And my diet makes me feel like i'm eating to much some days or like i'm starving myself on others. I would love some advice. I'm scared I will never be successful with this weight-loss, and i'm goin to be stuck like this forever.
CannaBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #2  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

A few thoughts (and hugs).

Are you accurately counting calories, measuring portions, etc? Extra calories can really add up quickly!

Have you consider calorie cycling? Instead of having, say, 1500 calories everyday, eat 1200 on non-active days and 1800 on active days or special occasions. Average your calories over the course of a week, instead of each day.

Working out is GREAT, but not necessary to kick start weight loss. If you can fit it in without feeling overwhelmed right now, great! For many people, starting an exercise routine is motivating. Fr me, it was stressful! I felt like if I missed a day, or several, all hope was lost! Lol But you can completely control your weight loss with calorie restriction. Exercise is an important factor, but RIGHT NOW, you need to lose weight in a way that doesn't push you over the edge to failure.

You might have to take a hard look at exactly what you are doing. It is highly unlikely to plateau at your height/weight in a caloric deficit combined with exercise.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #3  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Can you share your diet plan with us? That makes a big difference in giving advice.

{{hug}}
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

First...sending your way

Second...a plateau, a true plateau, is weeks if not MONTHS of NO movement, up or down. And the first one usually (no always) takes place at about 40-50 pounds.

Now that that is out of the way, I agree with Chickie. Working out is awesome, but not necessary, especially there in the beginning. But, if you are doing it, keep it up. Just make sure you are nurishing your muscles within 30 minutes post workout so you don't end up with issues. I'm talking about something within the 100 calorie range, decent in protein, low in carbs. I personally like the EAS Carb AdvantEDGE shake for my psot workouts. Feeding your muscles post workout is critical in building lean muscle mass (no, this will NOT bulk you up). And lean muscle mass, as it burns the fat away, will take up some (not all) of the space that fat contained and may make you gain a few (we are talking VERY few) pounds. Then, the muscles burn the fat even faster while at rest.

When the scale stalls out, take up your tape measure. Track your lose in inches. I know it helped me when I was in a six week plateau. It was nice to see my stomach go from 55 inches to 47 inches but my scale didn't budge ONCE.

Also, if you don't have it, set up an account on MyFitnessPal or LoseIT! and track every single thing you put in your mouth. Weigh every single item and measure it properly. Chances are you are either A) not eating enough and your body is in a false sense of starvation or B) you are eating too much.

And just to throw a few encouraging facts out to you:

It takes roughly 6 weeks to form a habit but only 72 hours to trash it...meaning if you are exercising, keep it up because it only takes three days to derail and not want to go back on track. It means keep dieting, because within three days, you will derail.

It takes the average human 1 year to gain between 10-15 pounds but in the same span, the average human can lose between 1-2 pounds a week (or 52 to 104 pounds a year.) That means, if we put our minds to it, we can lose substantially faster than we gained.

You started in March. Since I don't know the day, we will say March 1st. That's 64 days or 9 weeks. You've lost an average of 1.78 pounds a week...I'd say you are right on track. Remember...the averages is the averages of the ENTIRE time you have been dieting, not a guarantee you will lose every week. Heck, even with my 6 week stall, I am still averaging 1.4 pounds a week.

You got this. Don't derail. Have faith. It may slow and it may stall, but slow and steady wins the race.

“Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might as well put that passing time to the best possible use.” ~Earl Nightingale

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/158/133

Height: 5 foot 6

I'm right with you - I hate that horrible demotivated feeling when you feel like you've plateaued and all your hard work isn't going anywhere.
I can assure you, though, that your good diet and exercise is doing wonderful things for your body even if you can't see it on the scales and you just need to stick with it and ride it out.
I agree with what the posters above me have said. Double check that what you are eating is the calories/fat content that you think it is. Count in every thing you are eating just to be on the safe side.
If you are sick of working out, as you feel it doesn't help, is there a more fun or enjoyable exercise for you that you could try? That way, even when you can't see the results you are still moving, burning calories but you are enjoying it so you want to do it just for fun.
Good luck, and don't give up. I know it is difficult but you can do it!
EskaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #6  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

"You don't have to be great to start, you just have to start to be great!"

A member of my Weight Watchers meeting gave me a small picture of a woman running with that quote across the top. I carry that with me everywhere and I find it's true. You don't have to be perfect (who is?!).

I know I tried unsuccessfully for 5 years to lose weight and each fail I would get depressed and eat more. Have you thought about joining a program to help keep you motivated? I joined Weight Watchers on New Years and have lost 40 pounds since then! I have learned that I really needed that structure and guidance to be successful.

Whatever your path, I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep the faith that you CAN and WILL succeed and always remember:

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ― Henry Ford
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Wow, in all honesty, hugs and congratulations on your success so far but it confuses me why you are demotivated when your stats show a start of 232 and a current weight of 218. Is this since March? If so it is awesome work. If not and there is a longer period of time involved it is still an awesome weight loss.

A weight loss journey is NOT linear. There are always ups, downs, plateaus and bumps in the road along the way and it doesn't really matter what you do as far as working out on a given day or eating too much on a given day as long as you stay on the journey and never let those voices in your head start telling you that it doesn't make a difference and you are demotivated and don't feel like doing it.

Again, hugs. I am not criticizing because I've been there, done that, consistently during my whole two decade long weight management journey & I weighed more than you when I started long ago.

Just keep going. Again, congrats.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

tehshort - I love that quote of Henry Ford's. One of my frequent go-to's whenever I am down.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/see ticker!/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethFromDayton View Post
Can you share your diet plan with us? That makes a big difference in giving advice.

{{hug}}
3 days out o the week I do cardio exercises
1 day of strength training
1 day of calisthenics
1 day of rest
1 day of yoga

And I'm not a good calorie counter. I know it isn't that hard, but I'm a vegetarian so it's a bit harder for me to get the right amount of calories in a day.

And thanks everyone for the support it's much appreciated . And question, Some people say I should use MyFitnessPal, but whenever I enter my strength training workouts, it says i didn't burn any calories. What's that about?
CannaBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Remember, it is just about impossible to out-exercise bad eating habits. You are unlikely to see consistent progress until you really start getting your diet on track, in whatever way is easiest for you. When you enter your average day into MFP, what kind of counts do you see?
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote