Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #1  

Unhappy the smaller I get, the sadder I get

Hi guys

I've been on my weight loss journey for about 10 months now, I'm down 75 and have 40 lb more to go. I always thought getting healthier would balance my body out especially skin and mood wise. But now I find that my skin is a mess, my mood is in a state of flux, and my pms symptoms are getting more aggressive with each passing month. I have heard and read some vague information about how fat cells release hormones and toxins on their way out. Have any of you researched or read anything about weight loss and acne, weight loss and depression, or weight loss and hormones in general? Please share, any information will be helpful.
mybestself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2  

i haven't really researched but i do know after losing 100 lbs (safely i believe) that that much weight loss can really rattle your cage and also can potentially aggravate any pre-existing conditions as your body is adjusting

i had an ENORMOUS shed of hair that i'm just now recovering from after a year, i pray it stays that way, LOL but all through my 40's (before the weight loss) i was predisposed to sheds/hair loss/regrowth and i suspect i have some kind of endocrine imbalance like PCOS

i also had to adjust my thyroid meds UPwards (even though i was getting smaller) as i'm hashimoto's and hypothyroid and went through a period of adjustment.

Also in the middle/end of the weight loss i lost my sex drive (i am also perimenopausal) and emotionally i was affected, i think i flat lined more (i'm bipolar) but now i think all that is starting to balance out now that i'm in maintenance. Your body is undergoing what it considers a massive change and there certainly will be disruptions.

Discuss any meds with your doctor and be aware that dosages can certainly change, make sure you're getting all your macro nutrients and enough vitamins and minerals, get your vitamin D levels checked, etc. and just be aware that yes, it is normal but also if you feel a check up is warranted by all means go to the doctor

And congrats and hang in there!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm so sorry this has been so challenging. I've heard the same thing....but specifically, it was about yeast in the body. I've read that eating sugar/starch feeds yeast and they colonize and grow in the body (you can see if you have a white coating on your tongue, for example), but as you eat healthier, I"ve read that the yeast dies off and that die off can be rough. Have you tried taking Activated Charcoal? Sometimes that will mop up toxins but you have to be careful because it can also absorb any meds or vitamins you're taking. Please research it on your own because I don't know that much about it.

I hope you'll stick with it. You can look up info on bodyecologydiet. Again, not sure if this is what you're going through, but I thought I'd mention it.

Best of luck!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 320/150/140

Height: 5'5

I'm sorry your having so many problems ! I know kinda how you feel though. I've lost 150+ and i am in the same boat. before i lost the flab i was happier now it feels like i cant control my emotions at all. everything is topsy tervy with me. One moment i am angry, the next i am sad, the happy times seem to few and far between. I was fine before loosing the weight, happy go lucky even. Hormones suck !if it helps, i also used to get acne something fearce awhile back then i bought myself a clarisonic mia and use phisoderm soap daily. that helped clear up my skin.

Thanks for mentioning about the yeast stuff ! i was wondering what all that white stuff on my tongue was from..i was just too embaressed to ask anyone. congrats on your weight loss btw ! 75 pounds in 8 months is awesome

Last edited by Tibbits2u; 05-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Tibbits2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Have you had your thyroid tested?
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #6  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

My hormones are little devils now that I have been losing weight. My weight loss consultant says as you drop the fat- it release estrogen and can aggravate everything even more.

I'm battling my hormones with supplements (dopa muca, 5-HTP, Pharma GABA, kelp and chaste tree) and exercise.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well, I feel nuts and I am a guy. So it must be tough for the ladies.

75lbs down is great. I say just stick with it and feel crazy. I do. God knows what is happening to me right now. So happy one day. Feeling so fragile the next. Some days I feel like crying! And boys don't cry. Mad.

Last edited by IanG; 05-01-2013 at 09:35 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #8  

Thank you all so much for the feedback! It has definitely given me some different areas to explore.

Cherrypie99- Its been over a year since I checked my thyroid function. It was fine at the time but I will definitely get a full work up done soon just to be sure.
mybestself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

Yes! Hormones! You're on the right track.

A major weight loss (and 75lbs is major) can wreak havoc on your body, especially since it's come off so quickly.

You could have had an underlying disorder that is now amplified by all the changes your body has gone through, like a thyroid disorder (which can definitely cause both low energy/sad moods and too much energy and agitation)

The PMS could be attributed to reproductive hormone imbalances...

A lot happens to your body when you lose weight, I'd talk to your doctor and have some blood tests run just to make sure your hormones are in the right place
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I'm not sure if this is just woo or really works - but I have heard that taking hot baths (optionally with epsom salt) or saunas can help mitigate some of the symptoms of toxin release when losing weight. Basically the sweating!

Considering a hot bath at home is free and relaxing - maybe something to try!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Oh gosh that sounds awful, sorry to hear that. The only thing I've noticed is really with the TOM, my cramps (which were nonexistent before) hurt so much I stay home from school because no amount of midol/teas/heat pads seem to make it go down.

Interesting point though, never thought about how our bodies react to such big changes or even the toxin stuff, def going to have to look into that! I hope you feel better with some of the recommendations above!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #12  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
Oh gosh that sounds awful, sorry to hear that. The only thing I've noticed is really with the TOM, my cramps (which were nonexistent before) hurt so much I stay home from school because no amount of midol/teas/heat pads seem to make it go down.

Interesting point though, never thought about how our bodies react to such big changes or even the toxin stuff, def going to have to look into that! I hope you feel better with some of the recommendations above!
Try magnesium. http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...strual-cramps/
I take oral magnesium and I also use it topically.
(This is what I take orally- http://www.bodybio.com/storeproduct411.aspx and this is what I take topically- http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Minera.../dp/B001AD0HL8)
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 309/165/159

I am sometimes disappointed & demotivated as I have issues with loose and bad looking skin. I know I look much better with clothes on but I seem to focus on the negative.

Last edited by baltimora; 05-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.
baltimora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #14  

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you are going through that. I haven't read any of the responses so sorry if I repeat something.

Please take vitamin D daily. It is a per-crusor to hormones and most people do not get enough of it. I notice if I'm in a bad mood and I take 3,000 IU's or more, withing 6 hours I'm feeling better. Also you may want to try taking DIM (Diindolylmethane) that helps regulate hormones. I have a friend who says she feels better the same day when I suggested she take it. I take it but do not notice a difference. That doesn't mean it isn't helping me.

Also our bodies store excess toxins in our fat to help protect our body from the immediate over load. When we shed fat, those toxins are released.

Hang in there!
TabbyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Sorry to hear that Baltimorea. Don't give up the fight! And I have become super-vain! I spend almost as much time in front of the mirror as I do on the scale!

Do you exercise much? I have just joined a gym and hope to start running soon. I still feel crazy, as mentioned above, but am finding that the workout helps keep me motivated.

Last edited by IanG; 05-02-2013 at 04:23 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote