Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Apr 29 - May 5

Going about without a coat has been such a pleasure. Every year I get the same kick as if it's a brand new event, this warming thing. DW is now thinking of moving the River Birch tree - nothing in our small yard is safe from her improvements to get the right sun/soil/moisture combination.

Shannon - that cedar chest is super. Love that you're going to keep your father's nicks.

Jessica and the twins - hope you're finding comfort in some position. Doubling in size from this point seems a bit drastic. By-the-by, I just read about identical triplet girls (natural, without IVF) - I'd never known that identical's came in groups larger than two. You can click to see pictures for easy amusement while you're confined.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #2  
Workin' It

I'm up and around way too early today... DH is sick, has been since about 2am Sunday morning. My cat just threw up in the kitchen. Again. I've gotten very little sleep for the last two days and DSS is in a fun mood. Whoopie cushions, hiding things in his bed to make me think he's still in there, running up and down the hall singing, etc. I'm not a morning person at the best of times, and it is making me impatient rather than entertained. I need to loosen up.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I'm up and around way too early today... DH is sick, has been since about 2am Sunday morning. My cat just threw up in the kitchen. Again. I've gotten very little sleep for the last two days and DSS is in a fun mood. Whoopie cushions, hiding things in his bed to make me think he's still in there, running up and down the hall singing, etc. I'm not a morning person at the best of times, and it is making me impatient rather than entertained. I need to loosen up.
I can't recall a post where you mentioned DSS being happy or positive. I know you're feeling tired and cranky but hey! - try to get into his mood.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Shannon, get in the cedar chest. He'll never find you!

More craziness here ... the school year is winding down and that means piano recital, double chorus rehearsals, chorus performance, awards ceremony, promotion ceremony, plus pre-season swim team practice.

I think I'll go for a swim.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #5  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I can't recall a post where you mentioned DSS being happy or positive. I know you're feeling tired and cranky but hey! - try to get into his mood.
No kidding. LOL I'm so not a morning person. It is a challenge. I pulled it off alright before dropping him off at school.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
No kidding. LOL I'm so not a morning person. It is a challenge. I pulled it off alright before dropping him off at school.
Thank goodness he isn't sick too!! Gotta look at the bright side.
Yesterday I found some cat puke that was very old. It was down the side of the TV, the dresser and the wall. Good times.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Yet another glorious point in favor of house bunnies: Bunnies are physically incapable of throwing up.

Saturday was SO nice! Lots of stuff done outside. The only bummer? It would have been a perfect day if I could have had a beer at the end of it. Alas. It's been a week and the scale has not responded in any manner that would make me think not drinking has value, but I will soldier on in support of my buddy.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Aaah, the joys of cat puke. My tuxedo cat likes to eat ribbon and then puke it up so I have to be careful when there are presents around.

DH and the in-laws and I went to our monthly wine women dinner last night at a French bistro. The highlight of the meal (IMO) was the salad: baby greens with a warm bacon vinaigrette served with a poached egg on top. Delish!

Friday we did the golf tournament--it was SO FUN! I was a bit scared when the rules indicated that you had to use a minimum of two drives per person in the foursome. I don't usually drive well, so I was kind of nervous. We got to our first hole (which was #5 as it was a shotgun start) and it happened to be a par 5 on which they were doing the longest drive competition. Oh, yeah, I was the ONLY one that hit the fairway so we used my drive! I even got to pick up the marker and put my name on it for the longest drive competition. I really amazed myself! Besides that, on our very last hole, I got the birdie putt--the only one of the round!

We golfed as usual on Saturday and Sunday mornings and I must have been tired as I couldn't golf worth crap. Oh, well.

Thinking good thoughts of Jessica!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #9  
Workin' It

Michele - I also found old cat puke last night, in addition to my multiple bouts of fresh this morning. I slept in the guest room so I wouldn't bother DH while he was trying to rest and what was on both of the pillows in there? Yes. Dried up and there for goodness only knows how long.

Becky - that makes bunnies look pretty appealing as pets. Seriously.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

You guys are making me very glad that I don't have a cat. At least my dog usually has the sense to ask that we let him outside when he has to puke, and it's not a regular occurrence.

Bill, apparently identicals can come in all different numbers! Twins are just more frequent (same as twins in general are more frequent than other multiples).

Still doing okay here. I lost a lot more fluid this morning so I'm not sure if it is still all from baby A or if baby B is ruptured now too, but I'm still not in labor so we might make it a few more days if we're lucky. Still no signs of infection or anything like that, although my blood pressure started going up so they're doing tests for preeclampsia now. They don't seem too concerned at the moment, probably because chances are that I'll deliver before it gets to be a problem. The nurses tell me that most people with ruptured membranes deliver within a week, and we're getting pretty close to that.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Jessica, when I see your name on a thread here with a fresh post, I have to admit, my heart jumps in my chest just a little & I wonder what's up, what news you'll have for us. So just a few more days?

How are you passing your time in the hospital? I haven't had a hospital stay since the advent of widespread wireless hotspots but it sure has to beat hours of daytime TV watching. Have you found an online community of expectant mothers posting from hospital beds? I'm convinced there's a supportive forum for nearly everything these days.

My mother just left, after a week-long stay. My apartment is spotless but more empty than usual, peaceful but a bit chilly. I'm sitting here in a heavy sweatshirt but feeling optimistic that, eventually, I'll have the windows open again.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Food is out of whack and I feel puffy and sort of gross, but I went for a hike in the Adirondacks yesterday and there were red spotted newts swimming in lakes and puddles everywhere, with no fear whatsoever of humans. I stuck my finger in the water and poked one in the nose (gently of course), and put my hand in a puddle and they crawled right onto my hand.

I also kept up pace with my more expert hiker boyfriend with no issue whatsoever, including scrambling up and down many steep rocks and icy bits. I am definitely in better shape for hiking than I ever have been!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #13  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I did my first-ever CrossFit class yesterday. I thought I would vomit blood at one point. We were supposed to do 15 minutes of nonstop pushups-thrusters(squat to tip toes with a dumbbell in each hand)-overhead lifts (single, heavier dumbbell raised from floor to straight overhead) in groups of 5, 10 and 15 respectively. The coach exhorted us continuously to "push through" our "wall" because it was really all about mental persistence, not physical fatigue. I wonder how many people have actually fainted or puked from pushing past their limits?

Jessica, good luck keeping the babies in the oven for a few more days. Of course you know that modern neonatology is very good, and almost-32-week twins should do just fine.

I have to say, I don't miss cat puke since my 16 year old cat died a few years back. Now, I have a 5 year old dog who has pooping accidents 1-2x/month instead :>(
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Andrea - i believe Pukie the Clown is a common cross fit mascot.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #15  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Ah, dried up cat puke...at least it's easier to clean up. Fortunately, only one of my current 3 is a puker.

Jessica, good luck!

I'm having a bit of good luck myself. I got called for jury duty but haven't had to report yet this week. I'd actually like to do it but it would be tough to juggle that along with work and visiting my dad. Being able to work a full day tomorrow will make it much easier if I do have to serve the rest of the week.

Here's my latest beading project. I bought a book of patterns for little (1" x 2.5") floral panels. I don't know what I'll do with them but I had fun doing the first one and there are 40 or so more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beaded panel.jpg (51.0 KB, 11 views)
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote