WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #1  

Default can of pumpkin and a cake mix = ?!?!

Someone in a meeting suggested mixing a can of pumpkin with a cake mix and adding about 1 cup of water for a tasty low point treat.

I tried this last night, and it didn't work out well. Granted, I used a pumpkin pie mix can by mistake, but the final cake was really dense and not fully cooked, even after being in the oven for ages.

Did I miss something? Should I use a smaller can of pumpkin? Any advice?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:45 PM   #2  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Use the fat free one step angel food cake mix and a can of pumpkin mix them and dont add water...it ias 3 pts a slice for 1 -12th of the cake!

It will turn out MUCH tastier

Last edited by Christian; 10-14-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:18 PM   #3  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I use a spice cake mix and a can of pumkin and that's it no water. Its really thick to spoon out and doesn't puff up a lot but mine always turns out good. Even my hubby likes it. Maybe the water was what went wrong. I also have used the angel food cake mix with pumpkin but I usually use just a can of crushed pineapple and that turns out really yummy. Hope that helps....Sis
Old 10-15-2003, 04:12 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I will have to try the pumpkin with the angel food cake. The pineapple is too sweet for me.......thanks for the suggestion
Old 10-17-2003, 02:24 PM   #5  

I mix a chocolate cake mix with a can of pumpkin and 1/2 c. water or left-over coffee. This makes 24 delicious fudgy cupcakes. I count them as 1.5 points each - probably a bit high, but better safe than sorry.

I'm sure a blonde version of this with spice cake or another lighter cake mix would be good as well.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:31 PM   #6  

Maybe I'll try it again, but do cupcakes. It was really sad. The 'cake' was so dense and heavy, it felt like I was taking a cast iron pan out of the oven. Maybe smaller areas of batter will cook better.

Even my dad wouldn't eat it, and that's saying a lot!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:55 PM   #7  

You can also do a cake mix with 10 oz of diet soda, chocolate with dark sodas and sprite with yellow or white cake. Don't quite get the same rise out of them but they are yummy 24 cupcakes for 2 pts a piece.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:48 AM   #8  
Chick

I've made the chocolate cake mix with diet cola. I think it's yummy. It does taste better the first day though. I've also made the angelfood cake variations for the past three years and everyone who tries them likes them very much. As a change, you might want to add lite cherry pie filling to the angelfood mix--nothing else. It turns the cake pink and is quite festive. It is definitely on the sweet side, so pumpkin is a good alternative.

By the way, do you know about adding a small can of pumpkin,
nutmeg, cinnamon, and a pinch of allspice (or a teaspon of pumpkin pie spice) to a 4serving SF/FF instant vanilla pudding mix makes a pudding that tastes just like pumpkin pie filling? Just stir these ingredients together and chill until it sets up. Very easy and great for this time of the year. The calories stay the same as whatever your pudding mix is. I love it all by itself, but you could also spoon it into a reduced cal/LF pie shell for a reduced cal pumpkin pie.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2003, 03:57 AM   #9  

do you use the diet soda and the fruits in replace of the oils. maybe a dumb question but I don't understand
Old 11-14-2003, 11:50 PM   #10  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Yep the soda is all you add or fruit...and it really bakes perfect and there is no fat
Old 11-15-2003, 10:41 AM   #11  
Chick

Judmom,
It's so unbelievable that adding a can of diet soda in place of water, oil, and eggs makes a cake that is sweet and delicious.
However, that's exactly what happens.

The other way to go is to add a small can of pumpkin, or lite cherry filling, or crushed pineapple with its juice to angelfood mix and nothing else and you end up with a fabulous cake. It's really extraordinary and I think the person who first tried this is a genius.

Good luck with your weight loss!

Judy
234/218.2/thinner
Old 02-11-2004, 10:23 PM   #12  

Default And try this idea for even fewer points

I mix two big tablespoons of pumpkin with two big tablespoons of Cool Whip (any kind is fine, but the French Vanilla is fabulous, too bad it's not low-fat). Add 1 envelope Equal, and about 1/4 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Filling (in the spice section), mix together and enjoy.

Depending on what Cool Whip you use, that's the only points, usually 1. You can also add a chopped half-banana and/or chopped walnuts (more points of course).

I love Cool Whip and I calculate the entire container (depends on what variety, but even French Vanilla is "only" 14 pts) and make it part of my week's flex points. Then I don't have to measure out each serving, it's already accounted for. And it's such a help to me, with boring diet Jello, etc; I'd eat my own shoelaces if they had Cool Whip on them.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #13  

Is this a can of pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling with the Angel food cake. I used the crushed pinapple and it was almost too sweet for me and I am a sweet LOVER!

Thanks.
Closed Thread