Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/214/140

Height: 5'9"

Default How much weight could I lose by June 9th?

Well I'll give my background a little bit. I'm a 15 year old girl, I will be 16 in a little over a month. My starting weight was 251, and I got down to 198 (maybe 194 at one point, but I don't know if the scale that said that was accurate) I did this all in under a year. I was happy for myself, and I could finally look at myself in the mirror for once. Anyway, around Thanksgiving and Christmas, everything started to change. The cold winter stopped me from walking to the gym, along with school. I ate a lot due to the holidays. Eventually this all started to backfire. I saw that I was gaining weight, but I still ate a lot. I now weight 214 pounds. I realized this weight may have been mostly gained during Easter. Now i'm ready to lose weight seriously again! Anyways, on June 9th I am going to an amusement park for my birthday with a friend, and I'll be going in the pool a lot. Well, if I start working out almost every weekday at the gym except Wednesdays, and eating around 1550 calories a day. (ill be walking to a friends house on Wednesdays) and try to go to the gym a few times on some Saturdays. How much weight could I possibly lose by June 9th?

Last edited by ShelbyJo; 04-27-2013 at 04:54 PM.
ShelbyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #2  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

I'd say about 7-14 lbs is a reasonably attainable goal. If you want to shoot higher that's great, but don't be disappointed in yourself if you can't make that.
Just as a precaution: make sure that your workouts aren't too straining on your body. Consistency > intensity.
Also, 1500 kcal sounds like it might be a bit low for your current weight and exercise level. Personally, I wouldn't aim lower than ~1700/day, but it's up to you.

Best of luck to you!
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/214/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronostasis View Post
I'd say about 7-14 lbs is a reasonably attainable goal. If you want to shoot higher that's great, but don't be disappointed in yourself if you can't make that.
Just as a precaution: make sure that your workouts aren't too straining on your body. Consistency > intensity.
Also, 1500 kcal sounds like it might be a bit low for your current weight and exercise level. Personally, I wouldn't aim lower than ~1700/day, but it's up to you.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks, and I have a calculator thing that says I should eat around 1550 calories a day. Sometimes I go a tiny bit over, but Im used to the 1550.
ShelbyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #4  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

It's hard to say how much you could lose, there are just so many factors that come into play. What's important is that you make good choices all the way until June 9th (and beyond!).

I try not to put deadlines or expectations on my weight loss. It's my personal belief that they can be detrimental (but not everyone shares my view, this is just my own outlook).

I like to make goals like "I will eat on plan for 6 out of 7 days this week" or "I will eat on plan within my calorie range for 10 days straight" or "I will go for a walk at least 2 days this week" - you get the idea. I can control my behaviors, but I can't always control what the scale says. By controlling my behaviors like this I can set easily attainable goals for myself which will eventually lead to weight loss success. If I were to set a goal like "I will lose 10 pounds this month" and I end up only losing 5 or 6 it feels like I've failed, which is actually kind of silly because losing 5 or 6 pounds should be a success celebrated! See my point?
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I agree that there is no real way to say what you will lose, but based on my own experience - and I'm way old enough to be your grandmother - I'd say you can lose 1% of your body weight per week if you really work at it. If you do what you say you're going to do and eat 1550 healthy, balanced calories a day, I think you can lose at least 1% per week. At your current weight, that is just over 2 pounds per week. I personally don't think 1550 is too low as long as you are getting the nutrients you need.

The key is to stay with the healthy food and exercise plan. Don't let winter, holidays, difficulty in getting to the gym, etc, throw you off. you sound like you have a great plan. Stay with it. Keep it for life. You have the ability to get this under control now while you're young and make it a way of life.

Good luck. Post in here often and let us know how you do.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Normally, I'd say about 12 pounds, in 6 week, but when you first start out, you usally get a a little bonus. I think you may reach 200 for your birthday, if you want to. Go, girl!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

I agree that 2lbs/week is a good steady rate, but you might have a bonus whoosh at the beginning too. And I also agree that setting a weight with a date is a recipe for disappointment. Missy Krissy is wise!

Edit oh HungryHippo you beat me to the whoosh idea!

Last edited by Fluffypuppy; 04-28-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
I try not to put deadlines or expectations on my weight loss. It's my personal belief that they can be detrimental (but not everyone shares my view, this is just my own outlook).

I like to make goals like "I will eat on plan for 6 out of 7 days this week" or "I will eat on plan within my calorie range for 10 days straight" or "I will go for a walk at least 2 days this week" - you get the idea. I can control my behaviors, but I can't always control what the scale says. By controlling my behaviors like this I can set easily attainable goals for myself which will eventually lead to weight loss success. If I were to set a goal like "I will lose 10 pounds this month" and I end up only losing 5 or 6 it feels like I've failed, which is actually kind of silly because losing 5 or 6 pounds should be a success celebrated!
This. I KNOW it's not necessarilly what you wanted to hear, but there's a real wisdom here. I've just came to accept it, and I'm over 30. I don't think I'd be able ot accept at as a teenager, but I wish I was.

All my life, I made my (numerous) efforts to lose weight as if it was a competition. I set a goal and I strived for it. When I didn't meet it (and I lost just 6 pounds a month, instead of 10 I had planned to lose), I felt like a failure. And went back to eating whatever I wanted.

I too had certain dates by which I WANTED to lose certian amount of weight. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. Always, when the date passed, I started eating "normally" (i.e. whatever I liked) again. The truth I've learnt is nobody but you can tell if you weight 5 pounds more or less just by your appearance. I would have events at which I was terrified to weight more than lets say 200 pounds. Truth is, nobody could tell if I weighted 198 or 203. I wish I didn't make such a big deal out of it. What you want, what you really need ,is to start living healthy, eating reasonably, excercise wisely, and watch the scale go down. You can't control the scale, but you can, and you shoud, control your behaviour. The scale will follow. I promise it will.

On the other hand, like other said, someting between 6 and 12 pounds is achiavable If you have to set the goal, set a range rather then a certain number. Less space for failure, more space for success!

Last edited by Ronja; 04-28-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Came back to correct numerous typos
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote