Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Exclamation NSV - I bought a dress!

So I have this relatively big event coming up next weekend; I'm a first place division winner for TOPS with the amount of weight I lost last year and will be presented an award at our State Recognition Days. I'd already briefly considered buying something for it since I'd found a casual dress that I actually liked, but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money when I didn't know if there was some kind of dress code for the ceremony.

I think the last time I willingly wore a dress in public was on the day of my wedding. They typically don't suit me; I'm an apple and I tend to look pregnant in them. And yes, I know I'm actually pregnant now, but being only 6 weeks along it's not like I'm showing. Anyway, I was told on Wednesday that I have to wear a formal dress. Uh . . . what? So not what I originally had in mind of buying! I do have a stretchy black velvet dress in my closet, but seriously doubted that it still fit me as I know I wore it at my highest weight of 360. Still, I remembered that since it was stretchy, I was able to buy a much smaller size than I normally wore at the time (I was well over a 30 and it was only a 24). Maybe a 24 wouldn't be so bad?

I tried it on. Yuck. It has long sleeves, goes down to my ankles, and is way too big all over. I briefly thought about having it altered but I'm running out of time and already have bad connotations with the dress (I wore it at my father's funeral). Regardless, I really wasn't looking forward to shopping for a new one. Even though I'd liked the aforementioned casual dress well enough, the ones that don't emphasize my tummy are few and far between, and formal dresses not only tend to be expensive, but they're often sleeveless or have spaghetti straps, which I can't pull off thanks to needing a heavy-duty bra. But off I went.

At the very least I figured I'd find something suitable, but that anything that worked would probably be matronly and unflattering. I hit several department stores and it was all the same story. Not much to choose from for formals, and most selections only went up to 14 or 18. I'm typically in a 16 now (and I do know that sizes vary), but every 18 I tried on was way too small in the stomach and bust. I tried a few plus sized specialty stores, but only found casual summer dresses, and most of those were too skimpy on the top for my bras anyway. I began to lose hope and wondered if I'd be stuck with the funeral dress after all.

My luck changed at Macy's. I found this $120 dress on clearance for only $30! It's a 16 and it fit!

You can't really tell here, but the bottom half is not grey, it's white with a layer of black lace/tulle over it.

While I don't have any photos taken in that old black dress, this will give you an idea of the size difference since then.

(this is 360 pounds to 210)

I'd been feeling like a blob lately in knowing that I need to take a maintenance break. I still have about 60 pounds to lose and was so looking forward to getting under 200 for this first time this summer. But things change, and that's ok. I'm so looking forward to the baby! And finding a dress like this that actually flatters my stomach rather than emphasizing it is just incredible to me. I can go to the ceremony and feel confident and even pretty when I have to get on stage. It's not often that I find something that actually makes me feel like a princess.

Now I just need to go shopping for shoes, as even my feet have gotten too small for my old shoes.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #2  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

You look GORGEOUS. Seriously, that dress is so flattering for you!! Make sure to post a picture of the whole outfit when you find the perfect shoes!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I love that dress! You look amazing in it!!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I love that dress!!! I cannot wait to see a pic of you with the shoes and everything! Congrats on being 1st place division winner! That is an amazing accomplishment. Happy for you all around.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #5  

Congratulations on your award! Love the dress (and the price!!), you look like a princess. I hope you feel like one too!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #6  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

You are going to look so adorable with a baby bump that I might just die!! How long do you think I have to wait to see? 4 months?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #7  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

You look fabulous and for 30 dollars!wow!
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

congrats on the award and the dress looks wonderful! Can't wait to see the fully dolled up version!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That is a beautiful dress and it looks good on you but it is not a formal, as I understand them, anyway. I thought formals were always floor length.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #10  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks everyone! I'll post more pics later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
That is a beautiful dress and it looks good on you but it is not a formal, as I understand them, anyway. I thought formals were always floor length.
Well, I kept hearing "formal gown" from the chapter coordinator, but after I questioned chapter leader about details, she told me that as long as it was "fancy" and below the knee that it would be fine, and not to worry about it being an actual gown (whew!)
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/249/125

Height: 5'3 ish

Beautiful and thrifty, I think I'm in love lol. You look amazing!

Last edited by Thinforme; 04-26-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Thinforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

You look beautiful!! And what a steal. Congrats!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #13  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Total score!!! You look great!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #14  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

That dress rocks!! You rock that dress.

I think 'formal' is a bit more fluid these days anyway.... and in the pic - it looks like a print and not a lace overlay.

And $30!!!!??? You are my idol.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/149.4/140

Height: 5'8

Congrats for many reasons-the baby, the weight loss, the award, the dress and the total steal of a price! you rock!
It's good you lost so much before the pregnancy. It will keep your weight gain under control. I gained 20 and my doctor was fine with it (I got pregnant weighing 250 at 5'8). Some people eat while pregnant as a license to eat. If you only gain 20-25 after the baby you will be right where you started with the baby, fluids lost etc..
Congrats!
loganandlivsmom is offline   Reply With Quote