Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/245/150

Height: 5'2

Default going on a weird trip and don't know how to "keep it up"

So, my boyfriend's father has asked us to take him to this thing out of town, and we said yes. Since agreeing, I had my wakeup moment and started counting calories and working out every day. I've only been doing it for five days now. I don't know how to go about staying within my caloric intake limits while essentially eating southern festival foods all weekend with little to no chance for a workout. Any advice would be great.
Skweeeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

First, if it's a typical festival, you'll be walking a lot so while it won't be at an aerobic rate, you'll get the exercise in.

As far as food. Well, Southern food in particular is very hard to refuse and festival food is sort of a celebration of all the wrong things to eat in life. But, tell your boyfriend that you'll need to be able to eat breakfast and dinner at someplace that offers healthy options -- although even that will be difficult in a restaurant situation. Just refuse the festival food.....I fell into the trap once of taking a bite of whatever my partner at the time was eating and ended up gaining 3-4 pounds that weekend.

The big thing is to enjoy yourself. These festivals are fun, you'll get a chance to create a new memory. Make the event the focus of your weekend, not your eating.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/245/150

Height: 5'2

Unfortunately it is more of a flea market type thing and I will be spending most of my time sitting at a table, smiling and hoping people will buy things from us
Skweeeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Can you pack food to bring with you? Even just a bunch of healthy snacks? If you can bring a cooler with, that could be really great. (Your BF or BF's dad could also enjoy chilled drinks from the cooler, so everyone could benefit here.) If that's not an option, just bring a bunch of non-perishables that you know the calorie counts for.

If staying under cals is completely impractical, what else about the trip can you use as a learning experience? Depends what some of your food issues are. Examples - if you frequently go too long without eating and get way too hungry and overeat, focus on trying to not do that. If you eat for comfort when you're stressed/distressed, watch how the annoyances and frustrations of the trip impact your hunger signals and try to respond differently. You might not achieve a calorie deficit for the days of the trip, but it could be really good practice for looking at and altering behaviors/habits -- that'll be a huge help in the long run!
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Pack an ice chest. I always tell myself that festival food isn't exactly prepared under the most hygienic of circumstances. I have a friend who is pretty sure she got Hep A from festival food and I never ever want to deal with that.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Agree with bringing your own food ... eat only when hungry (not when you think of it or when you just have the desire to eat, but when truly hungry)... then just eat until you're not hungry any more, not until you're full. You can completely turn this into a success for yourself! Also focus on helping out so much that the food is secondary, if you're there, you might as well make it worth your while, right? Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skweeeness View Post
Unfortunately it is more of a flea market type thing and I will be spending most of my time sitting at a table, smiling and hoping people will buy things from us
Like others have said, pack an ice chest -- one of those little 6 pack coolers or even a collapsible cooler will work. Take along your food and limit your eating to that. And, since there will be 3 of you to man the booth, just excuse yourself a couple of times during the day and walk around the flea market.

Good luck.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Fruit like apples and oranges, hard veggies like carrots and cauliflower, small amounts of cheese, hard boiled eggs, and lots of water. A few (few!) pretzels, some almonds or walnuts, and lots of water. And - don't forget the water. LOL. You can do this with a bit of determination and self control. It's good you're thinking ahead. Planning for stuff like this is everything.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

That sounds pretty fun!! I think there have been some other threads about festival food, and the consensus, besides byo, was turkey legs, corn on the cob (no butter), pickles, and maybe shellfish (like clams), if they have them.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote