South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default Starting phase 2 and freaking out - please help?

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new here. Please help by providing some feedback if you can. I am panicking a bit because today I'm beginning south beach phase 2 after 2 months of doing phase 1. I extended phase 1 because I started at 235 and have a lot to lose. Over the past 2 months I've lost 30 pounds and according to the scale at my nutritionist's office, my muscle and bone mass is still the same. Since I've had such great success, I am terrified to move onto phase 2, but I know I need to. I am planning to start as soon as I finish posting this by eating a small apple. as I begin phase 2, I have a lot of questions and would really appreciate your thoughts:
- did you extend phase 1 and if so, did you stop losing? I have plateaued for the past few weeks.
- when you moved to phase 2, were you counting calories and fats or just using the acceptable food list?
- did you gain weight the first few weeks of phase 2? If so, when did you begin losing again?
- how much do you lose per week on phase 2?
- I sometimes feel like I did phase 1 wrong because I counted calories, fats and carbs. Is it ok that I am not eating many beans/legumes and hardly any nuts?
- I'm working out 4x a week (45-60m, 2 of which are with a trainer). Do uou have any idea how many calories I should be eating? I've been doing 1200-1350 less than 40g fat and am starting to think my body needs more.

I really appreciate you reading - I'm so scared of gaining weight back on phase 2!
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/167/139

Height: 5'7"

Default In Response

I've been doing south beach for over a year. I had a lot to lose like you did and found that if I stuck to the plan I lost consistently. It's scary to move off of phase one but it's important to add fruit and healthy carbs back into your diet. Just follow the steps in the book and do it slowly. I mostly stuck with two good carbs and two fruits a day. Other people may be able to do more or less depending on their cravings. I also try to exercise five times a week with cardio and weights. I think that helps a lot with the weight loss and maintaining muscle mass. Good luck, and enjoy your apple
Shannon
shan258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/226/175

Height: 5'11"

Don't worry, you can do it! You sound dedicated enough that you couldn't possibly fail
AlleyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spod View Post
- did you extend phase 1 and if so, did you stop losing? I have plateaued for the past few weeks.
- when you moved to phase 2, were you counting calories and fats or just using the acceptable food list?
- did you gain weight the first few weeks of phase 2? If so, when did you begin losing again?
- how much do you lose per week on phase 2?
- I sometimes feel like I did phase 1 wrong because I counted calories, fats and carbs. Is it ok that I am not eating many beans/legumes and hardly any nuts?
- I'm working out 4x a week (45-60m, 2 of which are with a trainer). Do uou have any idea how many calories I should be eating? I've been doing 1200-1350 less than 40g fat and am starting to think my body needs more.

I really appreciate you reading - I'm so scared of gaining weight back on phase 2!
Hello and welcome to the boards.

I personally did extend phase 1 a bit, but I did find my weight loss slowed down significanly after the first several weeks. Something to keep in mind is with any diet, whether for weight loss or lifestyle change, plateaus will happen as our bodies change and fluctuate significantly day to day.

I personally dont count fats, but I do track my calories... mainly because even when sticking to the acceptable food list it is easy to consume to much (whether or not you count calories, calories always count)

Alot of people gain weight the first week or two on the second phase of SB, it is your body adjusting to the reintroduction of certain foods. Usually only a few pounds that they later reshed.

With phase 2 its important to reintroduce healthy carbs and fruits slowly, to see how your body reacts to them. For instance for the first week of ph2 only add in 1 fruit or whole grain a day to see if they cause any cravings. Some people find that they cant have fruits or grains in the mornings with out feeling munchie all day, where others are fine with it.
I personally find it also helps to have fruit with protien (ie: blueberries w/ greek yogurt.)

For me on phase two, I lose 1 - 2 lbs per week when I am being strict with my eating (no off plan treats)

Even on phase 1 I dont think there is any thing wrong with counting fats/calories as long as you are getting the recommended quantity of food during the course of the day.

While I highly recommend adding the beans/legumes to your diet, as they are a great and filling source of protien, nuts, in my opinion, are entirely optional.

As for how many calories you should eat per day, click this link here and input your info, and it will calculate it for you. Though I think, with all the exercise you are doing you are probably consuming far less then you need to be.

Alot of us are scared when first entering phase 2. You have done fabulously so far with 30 lbs lost, I am sure you will find great success on this next phase of the beach.

Last edited by RiverGirl; 04-24-2013 at 12:20 AM.
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have never extended PH1.

I think many people plateau or even gain at some point. My theory is that your body is catching up to your initial water loss, and, over time, plateaus often happen as we adjust to what we are eating.

I don't count calories or fats but I am "calorie aware" in that I pay attention to what I buy and rarely buy highly caloric foods. One thing I really watch are nuts since they are very caloric. I weigh out a portion whenever I eat them. I watch my fat intake since I have high cholesterol. For example, I use a mister for olive oil so I don't use as much as if I just poured it in a cooking pan.

I typically lost only half a pound a week but I never had a lot to lose. Keep in mind that the slower you lose, the more likely you are to keep off the weight. It can be frustrating but focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit.

IMO you don't need to eat the legumes, beans, nuts if you don't want to. I typically only eat nuts when I travel or if I am out of the house. (I always keep a portion in my purse for "emergencies.) I found beans to be great during PH1. I like them and my husband is vegetarian so I suspect I will be eating more and more. They are a great combination of fiber, protein and carbs.

Many of us take PH2 very slowly, as you have read. You can read more about it in the FAQ section. For me, I find that I do best when I don't eat grains on a regular basis and when I limit my servings of fruit. I can go rather overboard on either. This is where it might indeed help if I WAS counting calories I just don't have the patience for that, particularly since it is so much work to calculate them for recipes.

Good luck!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #6  

All, thank you for your kind and thoughtful responses! I woke up this morning a little lighter and feeling sure I made the right decision to move into phase 2. I suppose I should expect a plateau as I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight so it may be a natural set point for me. I agree my calories may now be too low given the amount of exercise I get weekly. Thank you for sharing that GREAT link to calculate calories! It's really helpful to see it broken down that way and explained do well. In addition to verrry slowly reintroducing carbs, I will also gradually increase my calories to ensure I'm not starving my system completely. I absolutely love south beach and just need to learn to work the program correctly. I've never made it past phase 1 before! Congrats to you all on your SB progress. Looking forward to contributing more on this board and sharing an update on my phase 2 progress soon
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/212.5/175

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Spod! I did a google search this morning because I wasn't happy with the other forum, not enough people and responders! This one looks to be a lot more valuable. Hope you get some answers!!
Redrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/180/150

Height: 4'10"

I am wondering if I went on phase 2 before I was supposed to. I need to lose about 40 or 50 lbs. and I just did phase I for two weeks. I am on my second week of phase 2. I think I may have missed that if you have less than 10 lbs. you can go on phase 2. Is that right?
DonnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/159.6/139

Height: 5'6"

Hi! I did SB a couple of years ago and had great success with P1, so much so that I extended it for 3 months, lost my 20 pounds, and then stopped all together and regained it all, plus 5 more. I really think it is important to move to P2 in order to really learn to eat longterm, as this really is a life change and not a diet. This time around, after trying several times to restart P1, I decided I just wouldn't give up fruits, but that I would otherwise do P1 (or what some people here call P1.5). I've been on three weeks so far with 2 fruits per day (no grains though) and have lost almost exactly what I did 2 years ago without the fruits, and I don't feel deprived. Don't overthink the number on the scale (although I know we're all inclined to do so sometimes), but think about your longterm eating plan, which SB should be once you add in back healthy fruits and whole grains. Good luck and congrats on your success so far!
NicoleInCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/180/150

Height: 4'10"

I am getting more enthused about SB everyday as it is realistic as to what you can eat. I am taking phase 2 very slow, but do not feel deprived and know I can eat more fruit and grains if I want it. I tried Atkins and just could not face having to eat like that for the rest of my life. I know that one of these days I will probably eat a rich dessert, but know that all I have to do is go back to phase I to get back on track.
DonnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #11  

Rachel! We are definitely on the same wavelength! I like the *other* board we're both on, but feel the SB-ers are fewer as so many people do Atkins and NK. I just can't handle all the threads about drinking fat bombs and ketosticks
Yes, everyone here has been very helpful and I am so happy I posted here. Thanks everyone!!
Donna, you did it right. Regardless of amount to lose, you are supposed to move to phase 2 after 2 weeks. It's just that some choose to extend phase 1 to lose more before moving to phase 2. Phase 1 just feels safer to me. But you're def doing the most healthful thing by moving on to the next phase.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #12  

Nicole, you have a great point about the weight bounce back that can happen after phase 1. I kept the weight I lost 5 years ago from SB off, but when I moved in with my husband while we were dating, I started having cereal again and slowly gained about 10 back. Then we bought a house and I got pregnant and worked a ton and blew up. Oh well. This time it is about the lifestyle change and I need to remind myself that doing it just for 3 years isn't an option!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 228/212.5/175

Height: 5'9"

Spod - I'm with you on trying to make this a lifestyle change and making it last! My daughter is now 2 and I can no longer use the "baby weight" excuse. lol Until my addictions to carbs are under control, I am happy in Phase 1. I have had a couple fruits here and there the last two days. By a couple, i mean, 2 strawberries. lol I would say my main focus right now is on keeping myself full from protein and staying hydrated.
Redrachel is offline   Reply With Quote