Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #1  
So Close to Goal

S/C/G: 178/146/125

Height: 5"3

Question Spinning classes?

Hello everyone!

I joined the gym! I'm sooo excited to start working on my toning and also get a feel for different types of exercise besides running. No offence to you, running - you are still the love of my life lol.

But what I'm really interested in is spinning classes. I wanted to know if there are any women here who do spinning or take part in spinning classes?

Is it difficult to get the hang of it or is it like "riding a bike"? Is it as much as an awesome workout as some websites say? What does it feel like?

I'm not sure why I feel so nervous about trying the classes. I suppose I just want a heads-up on what to expect?

Oh and men please don't feel shy to give your opinions!

Thanks guys!
kate27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/212

Height: 5'6

So I was absolutely terrified my first spin class and I'll admit it was a little hard to get adjusted to that itty bitty seat but I fell in love.
It is that awesome of a workout; you might have to experiment a little with different instructors (everyone has their own way of teaching a class, more sprints, more climbs).
Make sure you get your bike adjusted for your height the first day. This is so key. Instructors are usually good about asking for newbies and helping out.
foreverfaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I love love love my spin class!

It will hurt the first few times - and it's not because you aren't cut out for it, but because your body has to get used to the seat. Get a pair of padded shorts and you should be good. Your lower back may be a tad sore the morning after the first few times from the way you sit and your body not being used to it. I hated the first spin class I ever took, but it's because it hurt my butt/lady parts and I didn't know that was normal.

Agreed with getting the seat height right. A correct seat will all a slight bend in your knee when full extended. I've found it's usually right at hip level for me in spin and on my road bike.

I burn anywhere from 800-1000 calories depending on the instructor.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Spin class is super easy to get started! I can't ride a bike, but I can spin, lol. Just go a few minutes early to your first class so your teacher can help you adjust your bike. Definitely invest in padded shorts or a gel seat cover--my seat cover was only like $20 at Dick's.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I'm a big fan of spinning... But I'm a bit of a bike fanatic and own several different bikes... and actually have a "spin" bike at home that I'll use... I don't do classes right now because of my schedule and since I use it as a "supplement" to my bike training now that we are finally having more mild weather I like to be outside riding... But I've met quite a few people in the spin classes that I've done who only do "spinning" and don't even own a bike... And they love it...

It's definitely a great workout... But it does take a little bit of getting used to... And I know a lot of classes can be very "high energy"... So one piece of advice I would offer is to try and take it easy for the first few classes... Even if the instructor is really pushing everyone... I think it's much better to just get a feel for it at first... than trying to go at the intensity that I see in most classes... And I also think that spin classes are where having a HRM really comes in handy, so you don't get caught up in all that "energy" of the class and wind up overdoing it...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #6  
So Close to Goal

S/C/G: 178/146/125

Height: 5"3

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I will use all your advice.. Thanks for the heads up about the seat being uncomfortable lol! You guys have made me so excited! At my gym there are three different types of classes - "Interval Ride", "Extreme Ride" and "Strength Ride".

I'd assume I should start out with Interval or Strength Ride?

Bare in mind I am a runner. Have completed my first half marathon recently etc etc. So I'm not unfit.

But still, what are your thoughts regarding the interval/strength spin class as my first one?
kate27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Not exactly sure what the "strength" ride entails at your gym... But in the classes that I've done the ones that were focused on building strength were longer and with a more even tempo and endurance based... And the "interval" type classes are exactly that and what I think most people think of when they think of "spin" classes...

I think as long as you don't push yourself too hard in the "intervals" at least at first... that might be a good intro to "spinning"....

Do you do any cycling now? I'm a runner too and I'm actually getting ready to start training for another marathon... But I do triathlons as well... So depending on your biking background... It will definitely be working some different muscles from running... which I always think is a good thing...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 04-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #8  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Not exactly sure what the "strength" ride entails at your gym... But in the classes that I've done the ones that were focused on building strength were longer and with a more even tempo and endurance based... And the "interval" type classes are exactly that and what I think most people think of when they think of "spin" classes...

I think as long as you don't push yourself to hard in the "intervals" at least at first... that might be a good intro to "spinning"....

Do you do any cycling now? I'm a runner too and I'm actually getting ready to start training for another marathon... But I do triathlons as well... So depending on your biking background... It will definitely be working some different muscles from running... which I always think is a good thing...
All of this and some. I run and do triathlons. Use spin to supplement my bike training.

I'd take the interval class as an intro and then decide.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 153/146/115 (HW of 198)

Height: 5'2

It is VERY important to tell the instructor it is your first class. They will ensure the bike is set up correctly and introduce you to the 3 correct positions.

IF at all possible I'd go to a beginner class for the first 5 or so until you really get into it. And if you hate it...it may be the instructor too, so be sure to shop around and find someone you love!
Bex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

OMG SPINNING! I LOVE SPINNING!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sorry, I'm a little too excited, because I get to go to a spin class tomorrow and I haven't been in a while. If you didn't get the hint, I really love spinning. It is a GREAT workout, burns tons of calories, but it is nice because you determine how hard you work. Therefore, as a new person you can take it a bit easy.

Things I love about spinning are: the music (turn it up loud and I hope it has a NASTY beat), getting a full hour of cardio, the exercise high afterwards, and how much the workout can vary (sometimes you turn the resistence way up, stand up, and climb really slow...and sometimes the rsistence is low and you pedal as fast as you can.)

Things to be aware of and careful for:
All instructors are different. And annoying instructor can drive you crazy if they talk too much during the class. Also, music is key. I went to a class where all they played was country, yeh, that didn't work for me. I prefer the heavy bass and club beats! So, keeping that in mind, you may want to try a few different instructors.

Also, your butt is going to hurt. Those bikes are more like road bikes than comfort bikes, but it will get better and easier if you tough it out. It is important to get set up right (you have to adjust the seat and handle bars, etc) so try to show up to class a little early and let the instructor show you how.

Finally - don't be afraid to chill out if it is too much at first. If it is way too intense, leave half way through.

Best of luck! I hope you enjoy it
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote