Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/239/175

Height: 5'5

Unhappy Exercising and not losing!!

Hello,
About 4 years ago I lost 135lbs, since then I have regained 45lbs. I have been trying to lose those lbs. since mid-March. I lost 4 lbs. right away and then nothing. Since the 1st of April I have been eating about 1400-1500 calories and walking for an hour and fifteen minutes a day, about 4 1/2 miles a day. I have not lost an ounce. What is going on? Why can't I lose any weight? I just turned 43 so I know weight loss slows after 40, but I can't understand this. Please give me some suggestions. I'm very discouraged!
Edwardsbloodtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I would definitely suggest going to a doctor and get a check up sounds like you may have some thyroid problems or some sensitivity to carbs who knows but I bet your doctor can get an idea!
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #3  
Warrior Princess

If you're positive about your caloric intake of 1,400-1,500 you should be losing (you could probably eat a little more actually based on your stats) but at the same time it's only been a month and sometimes it's hard to get the ball rolling.

You could check with a Doc but I would suggest ramping up your exercise if you can.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #4  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I agree with finding a doctor. I'd recommend a endocrinologist to have your hormones tested. (Or a naturapathic doctor that does the saliva tests or possibly a weight loss center that does hormone testing).

I also highly recommend scales that take body fat percentages. My hormones cause the scale to do all sorts of ridiculous things, but my body fat percentage goes down every week....

(I have a body measurement scale, but I also go to the Metabolic Research Center where they take measurements like that twice weekly.)

Don't forget to measure inches too. Wellness reflects itself in so many more ways then the scale. (The scale often lies.)
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #5  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
Don't forget to measure inches too.
^Yeah that too. At first I lost in inches before the numbers dropped.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

How frustrating for you! But stick with your efforts. You may have to readjust what you're eating, like going lower carb and higher protein and health fat.

Weight loss slows after 40, but only just a little. And that has more to do with muscle loss. If we focus on building muscle mass, our metabolic rate increases, no matter how old we are. The walking is wonderful, in general, but adding some sort of resistance exercise, like Pilates, a couple times a week to start, would be helpful. But also know that you can build muscle, get leaner and not lose weight either for a period of time. Not to worry, however, because that is a strong indication of fat loss.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I had to go low carb to loose. Anything else would result in a couple of pounds down, then my body would simply adjust. I am borderline hypothyroid, but go without drugs for the moment.

When I started exercising (I did the 30-day shred), I did not see any losses on the scale for almost 4 months, but went down one pant size. It may just take some time and depending how fast you walk, you may have to add a more intense workout.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #8  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

The first question to ask yourself is, are you really eating 1400-1500 calories consistently every day?

Even though it's annoying when people say it on here, the most likely answer is that you are eating more than you think.
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #9  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Exercise for fitness!!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #10  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I have to agree with dayoneagain - most times, not losing when calorie counting has more to do with no accurately counting than anything else. Do you could the cream and sugar in your coffee, condiments on sandwiches, licks, bites and tastes while cooking or off the kids' plates? Are you weighing and measuring everything? I have been calorie counting on and off for years, but I still have to weigh and measure portions, because when I just eyeball it, I inevitably stall out.

Walking is good for you in many ways, but are you really getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for an extended period of time? No amount of walking in the world will ever help me lose, unfortunately. Maybe look into some home workout DVDs, or a fun class at a gym or community center? I did Slim in 6 when I first started and it did me a huge world of good. Now I'm doing The New Rules of Lifting for Women and continuing to see losses on both the scale and the tape measure.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #11  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
licks, bites and tastes while cooking or off the kids' plates? Are you weighing and measuring everything?
^^^^

Love this!!!!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/239/175

Height: 5'5

Thanks everyone! I use myfitnesspal to count my calories and try to include everything. I think I'm pretty close to target. I do think I need to add some more exercise. Maybe I'll add a exercise video, I've read that Jillian Micheals is really good.
Edwardsbloodtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #13  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

while the scale doesnt change, my body itself will change and get smaller when i do HIIT running....for me personally, the intensity of my workouts make a huge difference in my body composition....i could walk forever too, like someone else said, and not lose one bit of weight or see my body change either
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote