Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default In between Challenges-Mixed CHAT Thread-Week 2 (04/15-04/21)

Hello All-
Welcome to the week 2 in between challenges chat.
I am back from my warm sunny holiday (unfortunately) and it's back to the reality of snow because honestly spring does not exist in Calgary.

But before winter came back with a vengeance, I ran a 10K yesterday. With no running for 1.5w before I was able to finish in a time of 1:08:44 which I'm okay with. I didn't finish last and would have had a better time if they course didn't have a killer hill just after the turnaround point.

I'm going to try and not use weather as an excuse NOT to exercise anymore because I'm doing a 15K run in 3 weeks. I've never gone more than 10K and thought this would be good to try & see if I want to possibly attempt a half-marathon in my future.

Hope everyone had a good OP weekend.
EofAZ- I agree! My days are the same whether it's a challenge or not. Consistency is key.

Let's stay accountable & get chatting

Last edited by CanadaMel; 04-14-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Well Mel, your 10k impresses me no matter what your time is. I'm still amazed I can run 5k, and I'm slow, to boot. I've ran 4 times so far on vacation, and did my best time yesterday since restarting for spring. It probably helps that it's completely flat here - my fitbit registers no stairs, while my home route is equal to 7 flights.

And yes, I aim to stay consistent whether there's an active challenge on or not. With my long stall, you girls' support is what helps keep me sane. Thanks, chicks!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #3  

I wish I could run with you girls. The only no no when you've had your knees replaced is that you can never run again but before I had them replaced I couldn't run either just because of the pain so I'm good with walking but I really did love to run as a kid.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #4  
Believing is Seeing

S/C/G: 260/188/150

Height: 5'6"

Glad to see we're still active - and I agree, all days are OP days though I do need some exercise support, not as consistent as I should be. All the exercise I do is indoors, so no real excuse! Looking forward to supporting you guys while you support me - and learning what works for you that I haven't tried. Hopefully I'll have some good ideas for you all too. Till May . . . . let's win by losing
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

Well, Evangeline, I only started running to see if I could. I figured with my plantar fasciitis, ACL surgery, chondromalacia and big boobs, that running was impossible. About a year ago a friend challenged me to try it, so I paid a visit to the local running store for sneakers, ordered a Panache sports bra, and got a couch to 5k app. And now I can run! I'm very slow, though - my best 5k time is around 40 minutes. And today I had a crappy time - 45 minutes. Oh well. I think it's time for new sneakers, and I might have overdone it a bit running every other day on vacation.

My first love is still yoga class. I stumbled into something great with my yoga studio - I ADORE the main teacher. She knows what she's doing, she's super supportive, and she just has great energy. I always feel good after taking a class with her - even if I'm trembling, sweaty, and worn out.

I'm just happy to have found exercise I like. I spent the first 39 years of my life not wanting to go up the stairs any more than necessary; now I want to exercise every day. Who'd a thunk?

Last edited by Riddy; 04-16-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

CanadaMel - Congrats on the 10k!

Wish I could run, but my knees keep me walking or hiking. I just go longer instead of harder. (Although hiking in the summer is hard work, not trained up for that yet, maybe in a month or so)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #7  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

Dropping in to say hello and hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to the next challenge - hopefully I will be more successful.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/219/170

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say hi!

I'm still on track food wise...well, most days and most meals anyway. Also, since I have been back from vacation, I am easing back into exercise...and haven't gotten back on the Insanity workouts yet. I will...or least I hope I will finish it soon!

But, of course I'd have to start it first...lol...I'm hoping to start it this coming Sunday...which would mean I'd have it finished by 23 June (just before my daughter's high school graduation)!

Yes, I think I will have to start it this Sunday for sure...Mama needs to look good for grad day!

Hope everyone is keeping on track! I can't wait to start the next challenge

Last edited by ArmyGirl; 04-17-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone

EofAZ, Evangaline -- thanks for the pep talk.....AND....I'm down to 265.5 You're right that we should just keep on track even though we're not in a challenge, and you're right, it will be fun to start the next challenge at a lower number.....at 207, you are indeed very close to ONEderland...and you're right, we will get there when we get there. I see from your ticker you are further along the same journey I am. You're INspirational!

Mel -- how was the Hawaii vacation?

Riddy -- maybe when I'm down to your weight I'll try an couchto5k app. How's the plantar faciitis doing? Mine is doing okay right now, but I'm careful not to stand in one spot on this foot too long.

Armygirl -- glad to hear you're stayi9ng on track.....Insanity workouts??? are you INSANE? lol I don't think I could make it through an Insanity workout if my life depended on it.

MamaP -- Hi -- good to hear from you.

Later galpals....!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/226/140

Height: 5'4

everyone

I am so disappointed in myself that I never finished the challenge when I was so close to the end These night shifts have completely rearranged my life and I feel like all I do is work and sleep. I am thankful that I have had a steady schedule, and the paychecks are nice, but I honestly never realized how much of a change it would be for me. I have two weeks left with this schedule and then I go back to being on call.
Anyways, I wish I could say that I have stayed on track these past 3 weeks, but I can't. I haven't exercised, other than walking lots at work, and my diet hasn't been the greatest either. I haven't weighed myself, but I know that I have lost muscle and gained fat. It's time to get back on track and figure out a schedule for the next two weeks that I am working the night shift, and then things should get back to normal.

Mel - Awesome job with the 10K Thank you so much for being such a wonderful leader during the challenge!

Riddy - That's wonderful that you found a yoga teacher that adore! You mentioned the Fitbit in one of your posts, and I am seriously considering purchasing one - would you recommend it? Do you find it helps keep you motivated?

Dora - I too am not as consistent with exercise as I should be. I seem to go through phases where I am really consistent and then I stop, and the pattern repeats.

ArmyGirl - Congratulations on reaching onederland!!!! You are such an inspiration to me!

Elizabeth - You are doing great!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #11  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

This week has been hard. Sunday was awesome. One of my BFFs ran her first ever race with me, a 5k to benefit a local child with cancer. I won the door prize of free personal training, which will have to wait a couple more weeks until this semester winds down. Then the bombings happened Monday, and that affected me more deeply than any other national tragedy has.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #12  
Shrinking Chick

Elizabeth, my feet are good. In hindsight, I think it was dancing around in boots without enough arch support on Paddy's Day that made them flare. Lesson learned.

Narnia, I give you credit for even trying to lose weight while working nights. I've covered overnights a few times, and I can do it, but it messes me up. And yes, I love my fitbit. It keeps me motivated to keep moving, and walk more. And now that I'm friends with Evangeline on it, that's extra motivation to get more steps in. It syncs with other apps, too - I have mine linked to myfitnesspal and endomondo.

I'm home from vacation and back to reality. I exercised every day - yay me - but as of today the scale says I'm up 3 pounds. Dinner last night was a salad at Chipotle, so I'm sure part of it is salt & water. Whatever - I enjoyed several adult beverages and part of a few desserts on vacation, so I can live with it. I do hope at least some of it falls off quickly, though.

Time for bed - I want to get up early and run before work tomorrow.

Night, chicks!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Okay folks-
I just posted the sign up thread for the Spring Into Action 2013 Biggest Loser Challenge.

Teams will be announced by May 15th

Challenge will start on May 19th.

Spread the word!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #14  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Default New Member - exercise advice needed

Hi everyone! I'm so excited, I just signed up for the Spring BLC! I'm pretty new to 3FC, just joining about 3 weeks ago. I started on Medifast 20 days ago and things are going great so far; I'm officially down 13 pounds as of my weigh-in today.

It is time for me to start incorporating exercise. My original plan was to start slow, doing some non-impact leg/knee strengthening exercises (basically the physical therapy exercises I haven't been doing for nearly a year), and some core/abdominal work. I have severe arthritis in both knees and my left shoulder, so mobility and injury is a concern for me.

This week I was on my gym's website and saw it has an 8-week "Body Fit Challenge" weight loss program/competition starting on May 4. The program includes unlimited group "personal" training.

A part of me thinks this would be a great opportunity to get a jump start on getting fit, plus I'm super competitive, so I think this would keep me motivated. On the other hand I'm worried this may be too much too soon and given my current weight and some arthritis problems I may be throwing my money away (approx $200). But then the other part of me thinks do it just for the "personal" training.

So my question - have any of you participated in a similar program? What were your experiences? Looking for an outsiders perspective - I can't seem to make a decision...

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroTeacher View Post
Hi everyone! I'm so excited, I just signed up for the Spring BLC! I'm pretty new to 3FC, just joining about 3 weeks ago. I started on Medifast 20 days ago and things are going great so far; I'm officially down 13 pounds as of my weigh-in today.

It is time for me to start incorporating exercise. My original plan was to start slow, doing some non-impact leg/knee strengthening exercises (basically the physical therapy exercises I haven't been doing for nearly a year), and some core/abdominal work. I have severe arthritis in both knees and my left shoulder, so mobility and injury is a concern for me.

This week I was on my gym's website and saw it has an 8-week "Body Fit Challenge" weight loss program/competition starting on May 4. The program includes unlimited group "personal" training.

A part of me thinks this would be a great opportunity to get a jump start on getting fit, plus I'm super competitive, so I think this would keep me motivated. On the other hand I'm worried this may be too much too soon and given my current weight and some arthritis problems I may be throwing my money away (approx $200). But then the other part of me thinks do it just for the "personal" training.

So my question - have any of you participated in a similar program? What were your experiences? Looking for an outsiders perspective - I can't seem to make a decision...

Thanks!
First off, welcome!

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth, as a Medifaster with foot & knee issues. If you weren't exercising before you started MF, the intensity of a gym challenge might be a bit much for you. You can get weak with too much exertion. As far as your physical issues, the unlimited "personal" training would probably be the best benefit of the program. A trainer can help tailor exercise to your needs, and make sure you don't hurt yourself. If you did it, I would take full advantage of the trainer, and make getting your money's worth out of those training sessions your focus.