Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #1  
Dancing my way down

S/C/G: 160/140/120

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Blaming the Meds

One of my biggest problems with losing weight is that I keep blaming my depression medications for how I look. I'd have a huge peanut butter binge, and then go "Oh, that's not my fault. It's the hunger side-effect from my medication." Then the "not my fault" pounds add up. I know I need to stop relying on a side-effect list to make myself guilt-free, but sometimes putting on the rose colored glasses make you feel better. I also think that it's a psychological thing. If I hadn't been told about the appetite increase side-effect, then maybe I won't feel like I have it.
All and all, I need to get over it, and quit using excuses. I know some people genuinely get hunger from their medication, but I feel like my cravings aren't true cravings.

Any thoughts? Does anyone else do this?

Last edited by VenomousPiano; 03-25-2013 at 10:58 AM.
VenomousPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

They're not excuses. They're side effects
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/163/105

Height: 5'2

Yes they are excuses. There are many ways to deal with it, natural appetite suppressants, eating more protein earlier in the day, exercise (good both mentally and physically), and even speaking to your doctor about switching medications. I said the 'side effect' lie to myself for many MANY years, stopped all my meds, didn't lose anything substantial. Then calorie counting + exercise = 30 lbs lost. So it's really up to you.
Kraitxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/245/170

Height: 5" 6'

Kraitxx3 is right. I did the same exact thing myself, I used the Lexapro as an excuse to eat. Don't get me wrong, the urges are tough to compete with - I was a clean eating, ex smoker and drinker before Lexapro, but was an anxiety ridden mess. Then once I felt a bit more balanced, all my bad habits came back at once, and threefold. Back up to a pack a day, drinking every night, eating fast food...I gained 30lbs in only a few months.

It's very hard to keep yourself motivated, but you have to do everything you can. The fact that you recognize it as an excuse is already a huge step forward. Whenever you feel yourself ready to binge or just lay back and not exercise, remind yourself that the excuses won't bring any results. I promise you, from personal experience, it can be done! Best of luck to you
ImYourCapitan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

I agree with what these guys are saying. I am bipolar and my meds cause this. So my psychiatrist put me on another med to counter act it-it's called topamax. You should ask your psyche about trying meds that counter act the side effect.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 315/210/160

Height: 5'8"

Be careful about Topamax. It can seriously mess with your head. I lost my job b/c I took it and it made me so stupid, I could not think at all, I couldn't remember words, and I was slurring all the time. I got so mad about it I quit all my medication and went completely psychotic.

I've been on meds for 12 years, and I've gained more than 100 lbs. Zyprexa was the worst. I gained 30 lbs in 3 weeks on that one and I didn't change my eating habits.

I'm on mostly weight neutral meds now, except for the tegretol, which makes me hungry as all get out, but I've been eating healthier things.
Moreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreta View Post
Be careful about Topamax. It can seriously mess with your head. I lost my job b/c I took it and it made me so stupid, I could not think at all, I couldn't remember words, and I was slurring all the time. I got so mad about it I quit all my medication and went completely psychotic.

I've been on meds for 12 years, and I've gained more than 100 lbs. Zyprexa was the worst. I gained 30 lbs in 3 weeks on that one and I didn't change my eating habits.

I'm on mostly weight neutral meds now, except for the tegretol, which makes me hungry as all get out, but I've been eating healthier things.
I haven't had any of those side effects. Anyways I already have memory problems and stuff from my other meds. For me it's no big deal but for others it's a problem.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #8  

It's so hard when we have to take meds and sometimes the side effects are just as bad as whatever we are fighting.

I had been taking a medicine for about 6 months and the first thing the doctor told me is it's an appetite stimulator. Um, hello, I'm over 300lbs and you don't want me to gain any more weight? I thought it was a recipe for disaster but I needed the benefits of the meds more than the risk of gaining more weight.

I saw a nutritionist to guide me on my diet and at least if I could maintain my 328, it would be better than gaining anymore.

I ended up losing over 100lbs while taking this appetite stimulator. Having guidance on what and when to eat was 1000% helpful in not gaining and actually losing.

Needless to say, my team of doctors were SHOCKED with my progress. I know they were afraid I'd end up gaining a lot of weight. I was so very lucky to get the food help I desperately needed.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #9  
Warrior Princess

SSRI's will not make you gain if you don't increase your caloric intake while on them. If you have huge binges on peanut butter often you'd gain whether on meds or not.

People want to blame meds because it's easy but the medication itself won't cause fat gain, food does.

Not trying to sound harsh, I am just telling you the truth.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
SSRI's will not make you gain if you don't increase your caloric intake while on them. If you have huge binges on peanut butter often you'd gain whether on meds or not.

People want to blame meds because it's easy but the medication itself won't cause fat gain, food does.

My psychiatrist says they mess with your metabolism making you biologically hungry and WANT to eat more calories in the first place. Just saying.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 04-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #11  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink interesting thread

Hi,

For years I have blamed my meds and in part I still do because they cause hunger, affect my metabolism and make it harder to lose weight. Having said that, I am the one who has chosen to put the food in my mouth as a result of the increased hunger. It can be very difficult to not overeat when medication affects one's hunger levels. I gained some weight in the beginning of this year and I know that the psych med I was on increased my hunger.

I guess a question to ponder is: what good does blaming do us anyways?? I know that I am guilty of blaming medications for a lot of weight gain. If people choose to agree or disagree with mine or other's opinions, so be it. I feel that blaming is a form of anger and I know I am angry about the weight I am at now and am frustrated. Instead of being upset about it though, and blaming, what good can come out of our energies that we are using towards the blame to make a positive plan for the future?

Something I am learning from my therapist is that it is important to not stay stuck in a thought, so if we are blaming our meds, let's realize we are upset and then move on to what we can do to help ourselves. We only live once!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
Hi,

For years I have blamed my meds and in part I still do because they cause hunger, affect my metabolism and make it harder to lose weight. Having said that, I am the one who has chosen to put the food in my mouth as a result of the increased hunger. It can be very difficult to not overeat when medication affects one's hunger levels. I gained some weight in the beginning of this year and I know that the psych med I was on increased my hunger.
Smilies

I guess a question to ponder is: what good does blaming do us anyways?? I know that I am guilty of blaming medications for a lot of weight gain. If people choose to agree or disagree with mine or other's opinions, so be it. I feel that blaming is a form of anger and I know I am angry about the weight I am at now and am frustrated. Instead of being upset about it though, and blaming, what good can come out of our energies that we are using towards the blame to make a positive plan for the future?

Something I am learning from my therapist is that it is important to not stay stuck in a thought, so if we are blaming our meds, let's realize we are upset and then move on to what we can do to help ourselves. We only live once!
i agree with everything you just said!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #13  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post

What meds do you take?
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #14  

I just want to make it clear my psyche didn't prescribe me topamax on a whim. I had tried and failed at beating the side effect of the med for an ENTIRE year. I couldn't. I did everything I could and I failed every time. My psyche didn't want to prescribe it but she felt she had to. It was a last resort.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #15  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
What meds do you take?
Currently anti-anxiety medication but have been on SSRI's in the past.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote