UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #1  

Default An introduction and plea for help.

Hello, I'm gemma.

I am starting a diet today, and I've joined here in the hope that i can recieve support and motivation.

I am 23, 5 ft 2 and 15 stone. I am so miserable with my weight it holds me back from everything. It's getting to the point where I am terrified I will end up alone, because my weight it so out of control.

I've never been slim, since I was about 11 years old I've always been a bit bigger..to the point where when I was 14/15 i was a fair bit bigger. Moving on to being 18 I was about 11 and a half stone.. and I was finally happy with my size, I was still bigger, but I've always carried it well. But this was after I'd been quite unwell, and as soon as I began eating again, I put it all on and more. Fast forward to 3 years of university and here I am, clinically obese.
gemmylou90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey Gemma,

It will help if you complement your diet along with some form of exercise. All the very best to you on your journey.
appyfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck. Do you have a diet plan ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #4  

Yes I am basically following a 1200 calorie diet plan. Low in carbs particularly and high in protein. I have tried so many things before now, atkins, dukan, cambridge, I find them so hard to stick to because of how restricted you are. So hopefully this one will work
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #5  

I also do exercise, I do the gym 4 times a week, as well as zumba classes and other work out dvds when i'm at home.. its food that is my issue, i just, literally cant stop myself sometimes, which is so bizarre because in every other aspect of my life I am so determined, but food is my weakness.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Hey Gemma!

Welcome, and congratulations on your decision to find the healthy you! I'm just restarting my journey after a terrible Christmas and I know just how you feel. I'm a similar age to you too, just in my final year at uni.
Perhaps we could motivate each other!

Good luck, let us know how you're getting on ^_^
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/172/140

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Gemma and welcome!

I'm on a similar calorie allowance and use My Fitness Pal to track each day's food and exercise - are you using anything similar or just mentally counting the calories? The reason I ask, is that it almost becomes a 'game' to try and either get below or get up to (if you've exercised) your calorie allowance, and maybe that would help you keep motivated to control your intake?

And posting regularly on here helps too - this is my equivalent of paying to go to a class and being weighed in front of everyone!
Cofa Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #8  
i CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

S/C/G: 230/226/140

Height: 5 4

Welcome Gamma. I have been struggling with my weight by for ages too. You have come to the right place. Sometimes you just need to vent your frustration and family of friends don't always understand do they. Someone you don't know who is in the same boat can be a powerful thing.
I wish you the very best and hope you keep posting.
lolloveschocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 AM   #9  
i CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

S/C/G: 230/226/140

Height: 5 4

I'm sorry. I don't know why my computer put Gamma!!!!! Sorry GEMMA.
lolloveschocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmylou90 View Post
Yes I am basically following a 1200 calorie diet plan. Low in carbs particularly and high in protein. I have tried so many things before now, atkins, dukan, cambridge, I find them so hard to stick to because of how restricted you are. So hopefully this one will work
Have you tried slimming world? There is very little restriction which is why it works for so many people who haven't had success on other diets. I have had slow but steady progress with just few little hiccups but progress is progress, my boyfriend has lost 5 stone in a year on it.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/182/155

Height: 5'6

I've found that the "obese" title can be so limiting. When I first realized I was obese, it made me feel utterly hopeless. My best advice is come up with a realistic diet and exercise plan for yourself, stick to it, and try to get a friend to be involved in your journey too (you can go on walks together, for example and socialize while losing weight). Set mini goals for yourself. These steps, at least in my case, felt much more positive than thinking about myself as obese.

Good luck to you!!
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #12  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Hello! *waves* Congratulations on coming back at it again and trying something new

If anything, try and find any form of exercise you love, it can be anything! I love going for a walk with my iPod, it doesn't need to be extreme, or expensive, just something you can see yourself looking forward to every day

Also, no matter how you feel about your size now, try to stay positive, and make weight loss and fitness something you add to your life because you're treating yourself well! I beat myself up with diets all through my 20s and it's only now I realise that was the wrong way, doing it out of love for yourself is so much more sustainable, not to mention a happier way of losing weight!

*hugs* and good luck! Please do post here often, you can get really great support and find likeminded people who have been through the same things as you, and that makes all the difference!
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/164/140

Height: 5'5

Hi Gemma, how are you? Hows the diet/exercise going? Hope your well, im interested in how ur geting on, im just on my 2nd week and wanna hit the wine already!! Xx
Missthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 228/228/175

Height: 5'8"

Hey! I'm new here too. I'm 22, 5'8" and 16 stone 4 pounds. I absolutely hate it and really want to change. Good luck and message me if you want!
RetroGirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #15  
Lizzie

S/C/G: 220 start/140 goal

Height: 5ft 6

Hi Gemma,

Thought id leave a comment as I didnt want to be someone to just 'read and run' (although running would be a fine thing for me right now!! )

Im also 15 stone and aim to get to 10 stone. And im 25. I just wanted to offer some words of encouragement in that youre not alone. Sometimes just knowing your not in that lonely boat on your own, can make you feel a bit better.

Personal experience has meant that iv abandoned all diets and weight loss clubs, and im purely going on 1200 calls and everything in moderation. Hopefully as its non restrictive I wont binge as much on 'bad' foods. Im finding the more I think about it, im realising that my problem is my relationship with food and how my brain views it. My goal is to have a healthy body with a healthy weight, but im realising a healthy relationship and view on food is going to make up a vast part of my journey. For some reason I find it harder to just have one bit of chocolate, rather than not eat any all together!!?? And i know thats mad!

Anyway, im ranting, I hope you see this, and see your not alone. Lets all start this journey together, and positive, and use 3FC to share our anger/joy/occasional slip off the wagon.

You can do it!!

x
Fat2thin87 is offline   Reply With Quote