Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/214/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Juicing Without a Juicer

I would like to make 1 meal a day drinkable for the convenience factor, with a small amount of prep it's fast and it's portable. I will probably put some type of protein powder or flax in there but I don't want that to be the only thing, I really need fresh veggies (and maybe a little fresh fruit here and there for flavor). I don't want to use a juicer for 2 reasons:

1) they are ungodly expensive, and, from what I've read, the cheap ones are pretty much worthless.

2) I want the "bulk" of my veggies/fruits, meaning the skin, pulp, all that good stuff.

I've read that I can use my regular blender to make shakes like that, but I've also heard that there are some foods that just don't work in a blender. Any tips or suggestions from people who use their blender for these types of shakes?
Evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I do make smoothies/shakes out of whole vegetables and fruits along with some yogurt and some water (or applesauce) for thinning out. I have not had any problems blending with carrots, spinach, pumpkin puree (usually the only veggies I tend to put in my shakes/smoothies), frozen bananas/strawberries/blueberries/mangoes/pears, chopped/sliced apples, whole kiwis (with the ends sliced off and the skin shaved, not peeled for more fiber. I think it is okay as long as there is plenty of fluid to balance out, you know? I even use a $15 dollar cheapie single serving blender for the above with no problems.

I cannot think of anything that would not work in a blender but again I don't really branch out much in terms of exotic fruit like pomegrantes or things like that, lol.

Last edited by amandie; 04-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
I do make smoothies/shakes out of whole vegetables and fruits along with some yogurt and some water (or applesauce) for thinning out. I have not had any problems blending with carrots, spinach, pumpkin puree (usually the only veggies I tend to put in my shakes/smoothies), frozen bananas/strawberries/blueberries/mangoes/pears, chopped/sliced apples, whole kiwis (with the ends sliced off and the skin shaved, not peeled for more fiber. I think it is okay as long as there is plenty of fluid to balance out, you know? I even use a $15 dollar cheapie single serving blender for the above with no problems.

I cannot think of anything that would not work in a blender but again I don't really branch out much in terms of exotic fruit like pomegrantes or things like that, lol.
What brand blender do you have ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #4  
I got this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
What brand blender do you have ?
Hey, the brand is Hamilton Beach. I was starting to smell the motor a bit after 3 weeks of daily use. I think that was because I originally was blending one thing at a time so now I just throw everything in and add a little bit water/liquid so it will blend.

I don't have very much cabinet/storage space in the kitchen, I wanted something non-bulky and wouldn't take up too much counter space.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #5  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I have a Hamilton Beach one that Amandie is talking about and use mine for frozen fruits or veggies she previously mentioned. It works well as long as I add plenty of water or almond milk to help it blend better. I usually have to stop after pulsing some and stir it, then blend again, stop and stir, blend, and keep doing that until I get the desired result.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/180/135

Height: 5'8

I have a kitchenaid blender and absolutely love it! It was rated higher than the vitamix in consumer reports for a fourth of the price! Got it a few weeks ago at target on sale for $80, which for a kitchenaid is a steal! It's heavy duty and doesn't take up a lot of room and blends everything!
Tulip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #7  
I got this

I decided to take a picture of my green smoothie using the Hamilton Beach single serve blender. It has frozen mango chunks, frozen banana chunks, 53g spinach, 85g carrots, 20g dried figs and 1/2 cup greek yogurt, and 1 cup applesauce in place of water. I only broke the carrots in half, didn't chop/slice/shred them and the bananas were sliced in half. Blended with no problems! I didn't smell the motor this time.

Last edited by amandie; 04-23-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

There is an article in First magazine about juicing. It said the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro juicer works as well as the expensive ones. It quoted $59 on amazon.com

But it is a lot more in Canada.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote