UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Default Travelling to London, and wondering what to expect, foodwise

I haven't been in many years. Can you get diet soda everywhere? Which ones? Do restaurants always have Sweet'N'Low, or some other no-calorie sweetener to put in tea? Can I get fat-free yogurt in restaurants that serve yogurt? Do restaurants usually offer a low-calorie salad dressing option? Thanks! (I'd love any other tips you can give me, too.)
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Hi there! I guess it really depends where you go!

Pretty much everywhere sells diet coke alongside regular coke. While some places might have other diet drinks, it's not really the norm to have more than coke. I'm not sure about hot drink sweeteners though as I never really visit coffee/tea places! I do know that places like Starbucks do skinny lattes and things like that, but I imagine theyre pretty universal

Food wise, some restaurants list the calories in their dishes, sometimes on the menu, sometimes on the website so it's easier to make healthier choices (it's more common in chain restaurants now, off the top of my head I know that McDonalds, Harvester and Pizza Hut have all been doing this). I think the best plan is just to choose where you eat wisely- there's many places that do trendy veggie or wholefood cuisine that have lots of healthy options, but if you go to an Italian place the low-cal choices are a bit more limited!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #3  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

You can get all kinds of diet soda in shops, but as Leaves mentions, you're unlikely to get more than Diet Coke in a restaurant. I think most places have low-cal sweetener on the table or available, but I don't use them myself. You can always pop into a grocery store and get your own little tablets which you can carry around. I don't know about the yogurt.... don't think I've ever ordered yogurt in a restaurant. But there's an amazing chain of fat free frozen yogurt places around central London - can't remember what it's called... not cheap though. I'm sure many restaurants do have a low-cal salad dressing option...but dressing isn't quite as much of a 'thing' here as it is in the States. You're not likely to get a salad drowning in ranch here.

If you haven't been to London in many years - I think you'll be pretty amazed by how great the food is here. Yum.

Last edited by AlmostMe; 03-25-2013 at 06:47 AM.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #4  

My Dad is diabetic so has to use sweeteners and although most places have them he usually carries a pot with him just in case. The only place I can think of that I've seen fat free frozen yoghurt is at Nandos. With regards salad dressing I think the only option in most places is either to have dressing or not have dressing. Hope you have fun!
Athel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/163/105

Height: 5'2

I had some very good sushi at a fusion restaurant a while back. I think it was on or around haymarket
Kraitxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/178/148

Height: 5'9.5

Yes, you can get diet soda everywhere

London is fantastic for eating these days - definitely, definitely look at the Time Out website!!

Ceviche, Koya, Song Que / Viet Grill / Cay Tre, Brasserie Zedel, Orchard - all worth a quick google. And many more!

I just mentioned on another thread that Itsu and Leon are both good, healthy chains for food on the go (not fine dining, but a good quick lunch if you're shopping) - I love Leon's superfood salad. Both list full nutrition info on their websites.

There are some good healthy frozen yoghurt places in London - if you google Snog or Frae, they both have a few branches. There are more but I can't remember their names!
cherhorowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/178/148

Height: 5'9.5

Also second that dressing isn't the "thing" that it is in the USA - you hardly ever see ranch / blue cheese / mayonnaise type dressings. Standard is french dressing, or just olive oil / balsamic vinegar.

Juice and water are probably drunk more than sodas (or fizzy pop as we call it ) but you can get a wide range of everything.
cherhorowitz is offline   Reply With Quote