General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Default Eating cleaner, questions and already seeing results

Is anyone else eating clean or sticking to a whole foods plan as well? After reaching back up to 250lbs after the amount of stress I had been under, I went to my doctor and decided now was the time to take a lot of action. Now that I have the stress portion under control with my job, finding another job and moving soon, I have to get my health back under control. My doctor recommended watching Hungry For Change and also to consider adopting a cleaner diet plan, basically eating clean (no refined sugar or white flour, instead all whole foods, veggies, fruits, nuts and legumes, etc) in an 80/20 or 90/10 fashion to see if that might be a larger cause of why I have struggled on and off with excess weight my whole life.

I began all of this on Monday. My husband and I got rid of most of our processed food (we agreed that munching on a small amount of doritios occasionally can be that 10 or 20 portion of the plan) and loaded up on whole grains, mainly quinoa, and plenty of produce, mostly organic. I also traded regular milk for almond milk since my body goes through phases of lactose intolerance, so the switch makes complete sense.

So far this week, I've already lost 5 lbs. My whole body, mind, and soul feel so much better, I feel like I had been in a fog for so long and this week I feel like everything is much clearer. I am managing my stress much better as well as having plenty of energy for working out 4-5 days a week, so far this week my husband and I have done the extra side workouts twice that come with Insanity, to help us prepare for officially beginning the full Insanity program next week.

I feel very happy that clean eating is definitely the plan I need to follow, it makes the most sense and seems to already answer so many questions about why I had always struggled in the past to stay at a normal weight. We are also using less and less meat as well. I feel greater already, and this is something I am sticking with no matter what, this is a very easy and suitable lifestyle change for me.

I would love to hear from others who follow along a clean eating, whole foods, or other types of more plant based plans what your experiences have been, what works and what doesn't, and possibly any advice you can give!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #2  
Becoming A Better Me

Hi Pink~
So glad things are starting to fall back into place for you! I began whole foods/clean eating this past July with calorie counting and it was just amazing to me how it seemed to change everything about me! I became calmer, more clear headed, energetic within the 1st couple weeks it was so weird that food could gave that kind of affect on me! I knew i needed to change and went to a healthy eating class thru the clinic i go to and once i started i knew this was the lifestyle change for me and my family also follow right along with me so no separate meals or such to complicate things!
p.s. im a carb junkie and with switching to whole wheat pastas, whole grain breads and brown rice i can still have it in controlled portions of course. Ive cut out white sugar from everything except my coffee but even cut back on that.

Last edited by dangerouscurvesahead; 04-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #3  
*Embrace Power*

Thank you for sharing with me!! It's good to know you have had such great results as well! The way I feel is a huge change from the way I felt overall last week, and the weight loss certainly helps! My doctor referred me to a nutritionist so I was going to go over my plan with that doctor when the appt gets scheduled, but my husband is on board as well, which makes things even easier. I definitely want to have the nutrition part down before we start having children. I am still counting calories, and this morning when I had my official weigh in, I've lost 4.8lbs this week!

That was the whoosh I had been hoping for, for so long.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #4  
Becoming A Better Me

Yea! Congrats on the whoosh! That Healthy Eating class i took starts back up May 1st and i was asked to teach it by the clinic directors and previous teacher! Im nervous and excited as i cant wait to show people how easy and simple it can really be. Easy as in no extra money, pills, shots and such. Just simple switches and planning ahead and ill supply kitchen scales, calorie journals, diaries for them to track their moods and such and calorie books. The diary is my idea, i think it would make a huge difference and help them take time each day to focus on themselves for a little while. Good Luck and im sure your gonna be a huge success no pun intended lol!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #5  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

About 10 days into my clean eating, my eczema flared up, BAD! I went through what is called "healing crisis". My body was dumping so many toxins out... It did not last long, though.

You body will thank you
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Yes I have good days and bad days but mostly good days. I love how I feel when I eat raw foods especially and making a salad (chopping chopping chopping) is as much fun as eating it.

I experienced the clear headed-ness after I gave up artificial sweeteners.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #7  
*Embrace Power*

DangerousCurves~ That is so cool that you get to teach that class! I would love to attend a class like that to learn more things as well as have tools to help me. I think adding in diaries for everyone is a really good idea!!

Sum38~ I do not have eczema (my brother does) but I have noticed this week that I am having breakouts along my chin and my forehead (which as far as my forehead that hasn't happened since my teens). Good to hear that is the body's way of riding the toxins!

Wannabeskinny~ I've always enjoyed cooking, but like you I enjoy chopping up veggies and food to add into my salads or main dishes for dinner. I think the time and the process of making fresh food does wonders for how much I enjoy the food after cooking it. Also, as far as artificial sweeteners I have experience headaches but overall I feel so much better!

I'm planning on going to the bookstore soon to read up on more information and resources on clean eating, and taking my little notepad. I did not realize how simple swapping a lot of processed food for organic or cleaner foods could be, and how my body would react in such a positive way!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #8  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

I've been eating clean for like a month or so & I love it. It takes a lot more planning than I'm used to, but it's so worth it. I love knowing I'm feeding my body nutritious, real food after so many years of junky, sugary, processed nonsense.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #9  

I had done it in the past and the results were great. I've always had a horrible sweet tooth, but clean eating and cutting out the sugar helped change that. I lost weight and felt wonderful. The only problem is it takes more planning. I started working a lot of overtime at work and had some non-diet related health problems, so it all fell by the side and I started grabbing fast processed food, again.

This week I'm starting back up with the clean eating. To stay on track, I'm also trying to pre-plan, cook, and freeze things ahead of time.
clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 228.8/187.2/120

Height: 5'

My husband and I have started trying to eat as many clean, whole foods as we can. We just got a Trader Joe's in our town so we are also buying mostly organic/all natural. My issue is I'm not working out. I need to start doing that, and then I think I will see weight loss. We eat 6 small, healthy meals a day but i'm just not losing any. I'm not gaining though, so that's a plus.
fitmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #11  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Pink Hurricane, What books did you pick up? Learn anything new and interesting?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #12  
*Embrace Power*

I ordered the Eat Clean Diet Recharged book by Tosca Reno!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Eat-Clean-.../dp/B005GNIWPG

Also I am going to check my library for a few of these books, before I considering buying them as well!

Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr
Clean by Alejandro Junger
The Gabriel Method by Jon Gabriel

Also Hungry for Change (the book) from the documentary. I was so inspired by that film as well as Forks over Knives. If you know of any other clean eating books or anything like that let me know!

I have not learned anything new just yet, waiting on my book in the mail, but I'm doing it!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 246/238/150

I have just recently recommitted to eating healthier again. I have a ridiculous pattern... in my home there is zero junk food. I don't buy it... never have. But I eat fast food or lunches out three to four days a week at work for various meetings, sometimes will grab a breakfast burrito on my way to work... I get exhausted and grab a pizza for the kids and I on the way home.... and here I am at my highest ever weight!

SO, in January I was stuck without junk food/soda for almost two weeks and immediately realized how much better I felt and I lost weight! I am committing to stay on clean eating/whole foods even during the week... and I think my pounds will begin to drop off.

I don't know if you know this company but Azure Standard is the absolute cheapest place to buy groceries. They are based in Oregon but deliver all over, you can get organic beans, rice, produce, meats and all other items you may need for a fraction of the store price! I am a single mom and this allows me to keep our whole foods in budget! I don't think I can add the link here so just google the company name!
Icamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote