Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

Default Please tell me not to give up!!!

So, I've been on track for 6 weeks or so, and I have lost 10 pounds. I'm now very close to my first mini goal, and very proud of myself.

It has all been going really well, no major ups and downs, reasonable eating, healthy food, little treat here and there, but within limits. That is, until today. Today, for a reason I'm yet to find, I threw a towel into the ring. I ate entire chocolate bar for lunch, munched on candies for snack and after my diet-friendly, healthy dinner, I had a piece of cake

As you might have guessed, I love me something sweet... THIS is what got me where I am now. I just can't believe I did this to myself today, after all the hard work. And, juding from NUMEROUS previous attempts, at this point my diet would usually stop, I would give up and go to eating like this every day.

It would be so much easier to just give up now, and I'm quite tempted to do it. Doesn't help that I just feel so good with this piece of cake in my stomach, it was delicious. A little (lazy and fat) part of me wants to go to bed like this every day...full of cake! The reasonable, healthy, rational part of me is nowhere to find at the moment...it probably just died of sugar poisioning!!

So please, please, remind me that I am doing this healthy life-style and weight loss journey for myself, for my children, for my family! That it's worth it...and no piece of cake can make up for being skinny and fit. I just need to hear it!
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

What sort of way of eating are you doing? I have a terrible sweet tooth and I especially love cakey pastery type things. I cannot make any progress on a diet that involves eating almost any carbs and I have found it soooo helpful to give up grains altogether. I never thought I'd say any of that. In the past I would have said that would be the worst kind of h*ll, but that was the addiction talking.

Anyhow... you may not have as much of a problem with it as I do, and maybe you'd do just fine on a low calorie diet or whatever... but if you find that this keeps happening, you may want to check into something like what I'm doing.

I have from time to time fallen off the wagon, too. It used to be (especially before I really figured out what would work for me diet-wise) that if I fell off, I'd be off for a whole day, several days, weeks, and at least once, like a year and a half. I am much better now about getting back on track, and often can nip it in the bud during the same day or at least by the end of the day. Every morning I start fresh and never, never, never (knock on wood) let it go into a second day. It used to be that I'd think, well, now I'm out of the game and it's better to go ahead and eat crappy now and get it out of my system before I get back in the swing of it... but the problem is that YOU NEVER GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM!

You will only succeed at this if you try each and every day and don't give up. And it is totally worth doing. You will feel so much better about yourself and about life and you'll have a ton of energy to chase your babies around. And think of how you'll feel after you've been off plan. Ugh. I normally feel pretty hopeless.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #3  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

OMG YOU ARE NOT PERFECT!!!

Welcome to the club

Did a few salads make you thin? No? Well by the same token, a few sweet things won't make you fat! You had cake, it was tasty, now it's finished, one day you will eat cake again, it will be tasty again, and that'll be fine.

One thing you might want to cut out of your diet is guilt... So bad for you! You enjoyed a few sweet things, moralising about it won't help, and the fact you did it doesn't change anything! A few treats doesn't make you go off plan... Going off plan makes you go off plan. Just pick up where you left off, you haven't failed, you're not lacking in willpower, nothing bad has happened, it's all good.

Being healthy is a rest of your life kind of deal. Occasional treats don't derail your whole lifestyle, just like a brisk wind doesn't derail a train.

Think about your next meal, not your last one. You got this! That's totally obvious as you've been doing it for 6 weeks! If you couldn't do it, you wouldn't have already done it. You've already proved to yourself that you're more than capable of doing this, so focus on the 6 weeks, rather than a few hours!

You've already achieved so much, be proud of that Keep it up, you know you can do it! And the next time this happens, just get right back up and keep going! It's what you do most of the time that determines your lifestyle, not what you do a tiny minority of the time. You know it makes sense
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #4  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I second what Shiv says.....don't let one incident throw everything off. We all have those days. Don't let it get the better of you, show your cravings how strong you can be and overcome them. Nothing to feel guilty about, just get right back on plan and throw out all the bad stuff!
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #5  

thank you all you lovely people!

rubidoux funny you should say this...The only time I really lost weight and stopped craving sugar was when I gave up carbs...I am currently considering SBD as a way to give me control over my sugar consumption...your post just rang the bell here!!

theshiv thank you so much for your wise words..I should sprint them out and read them every so often to keep me on track!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Something I read on here once and it really stuck with me:

Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard!

One bad day doesn't make you a failure. It makes you human. If you go 6 weeks between each piece of cake, I'd say you're doing better than most, myself included!

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 04-16-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #7  

Ronja....

I'm going to be selfish but some people around here know that's how I am sometimes.

You can't leave. You can't quit. WE need you.

Seriously. YOU CAN'T QUIT ON US! Your helpful and inspiring posts have personally made me see things differently and I can't thank you enough for your contributions on this site.

You have made awesome progress and a piece of cake isn't going to wreck everything. But the belly full of cake every night might not be a good decision.

You already know that you should do this for you, your family, your babies! But yes, I was very selfish to ask you to stay here for us. And I stand by my statement, we do need you here so please please please stay with us and on plan!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronja View Post
So, I've been on track for 6 weeks or so, and I have lost 10 pounds. I'm now very close to my first mini goal, and very proud of myself.
Congratulations!!! Great work you've done so far! You definitely should be proud!

Quote:
It has all been going really well, no major ups and downs, reasonable eating, healthy food, little treat here and there, but within limits. That is, until today. Today, for a reason I'm yet to find, I threw a towel into the ring. I ate entire chocolate bar for lunch, munched on candies for snack and after my diet-friendly, healthy dinner, I had a piece of cake
One bit of indulgence, one "slip up". It happens. It happens to nearly every single person (quite a lot) who attempts to lose weight! SOOOOO not a big deal!

But let me requote this:
Quote:
I'm now very close to my first mini goal, and very proud of myself.
Sounds like perhaps you sabotaged yourself due to feeling so proud and feeling so close to a goal you set for yourself. I know not everyone self sabotages, but any time I really got close to a big milestone I ensured I did something to mess it up.

Quote:
As you might have guessed, I love me something sweet... THIS is what got me where I am now. I just can't believe I did this to myself today, after all the hard work. And, juding from NUMEROUS previous attempts, at this point my diet would usually stop, I would give up and go to eating like this every day.
But this time you won't, because one day doesn't mean you toss all the rest of the GOOD days in the garbage! You did NOT fail, failing means not trying again, and you WILL continue to try. Won't you!?

Quote:
It would be so much easier to just give up now, and I'm quite tempted to do it.
How would it be easier!? Are you happy and content being the weight you are? If you are, then that's one thing, but if you aren't then it doesn't make it easier to give up now, it makes it MUCH harder. Because you know what will happen if you give up now? A few weeks, or months, or years from now you will decide to lose weight again and be even further from your goal, and THAT will NOT be easier!

Quote:
Doesn't help that I just feel so good with this piece of cake in my stomach, it was delicious. A little (lazy and fat) part of me wants to go to bed like this every day...full of cake! The reasonable, healthy, rational part of me is nowhere to find at the moment...it probably just died of sugar poisioning!!
I disagree that you feel FULLY good, I think if you felt that good you wouldn't be conflicted and posting here! I think that healthy and reasonable part of you is alive and well and the whole reason you are posting!

Quote:
So please, please, remind me that I am doing this healthy life-style and weight loss journey for myself, for my children, for my family! That it's worth it...and no piece of cake can make up for being skinny and fit. I just need to hear it!
Reminder: You are doing this for a healthy life-style, to lose weight for yourself, your children, and your family. Do not give a chocolate cake this kind of power over your life!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #9  

I know it's been said over & over again, but Do Not Give Up! One bad day does not ruin all your hard work. It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. You just have to take it one step at a time, and above all, be gentle and forgiving of yourself. You are not perfect. No body is perfect. Everyone slips up. Everyone has moments of doubt. The difference between you & the people who quit? You are the one who gets back on your plan and does what needs to be done. You got this. Just keep doing what you are doing. It's working!

I don't know exactly what you are doing to lose weight, but I count calories. I ate cake tonight and it fits in my calories so no harm done. I had the calories for this piece of cake counted before I ate anything else today. I don't eat cake everyday though because it makes me feel like crap.

When I do go overboard and eat too many calories, what I do is force myself to count them out so I can see the actual damage and usually it is not really *that bad*. When I see it actually calculated that I didn't really eat 2500 calories that day it makes me feel better.

Hang in there. It really will be worth it in the end. *hug*
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #10  

Thank you so much guys, you're amazing and your words really helped me to realize I'm not a failure...what would make me a failure would be to give up after one bad day!

Elvislover you're extremly kind words made me get up from my computer last night and do my daily excercise which I was going to skip (because it was already a "bad day" anyway). So I did my excercise and I felt good about myself, and here I am, back on the board, looking foward to my first minigoal!!!

Scale says 1 pound up from yesterday, but we'll see tomorrow how much of it is water. Even if it's a real gain, I can deal with it. Thanks again for all your support, now I really feel empowered!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #11  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

You rock! 1 pound? Pshhhhh! I've been up 3 pounds before for NO good reason. That's nothin'! I'm very proud of you for picking yourself up and moving on. You GOT THIS!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'0

No giving up!!
I am sure most of us have had a "slip up" at one point! Just can't let it get you down!
SaraJP0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #13  

Quote:

Elvislover you're extremly kind words made me get up from my computer last night and do my daily excercise which I was going to skip (because it was already a "bad day" anyway). So I did my excercise and I felt good about myself, and here I am, back on the board, looking foward to my first minigoal!!!
You are awesome, Ronja!!! I'm so happy that my post made you get up but remember, YOU did it. You put the work in and you did it. You had it in you all along and I knew that. Now keep up the good work. Being back on board and back on track is the best thing you could do for you, your family and for us. I'm so happy!!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

You've been given all the right advice and some great pep talks. Now I'm going to add this bit of wisdom that I learned from watching my incredibly fit daughter and niece eat: Sometimes thin, fit people do the exact same thing. The difference is "Sometimes" and not "All the time". You just did what normal people do. Sometimes you eat what you were craving. Now stop and get back to the healthy stuff.

I feel like the pressure is off just a bit for me since I've been maintaining for about 18 months, but this is how I've been maintaining. "Sometimes" I give in. Most of the time I don't. I've been taking this cue from my thin and fit friends. You're doing a great job. Keep it up.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #15  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

About the 1lb, I'm gonna chime in on that too.

1lb = 3500 cals. I weigh daily to track trends and have gone up 5lbs overnight sometimes, that's 17500 cals! Now, I don't count calories, but if I consumed that in one day I'd be physically sick!

Ignore it The scale does super-mental things sometimes. It's like a flaky friend who sometimes tells you the truth, but often just lies right to your face. Don't believe everything it says
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote