Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/T/180

Height: 5"2

Default Can you drink too much water

I normally drink Diet Pepsi all day. But I have found these little packets of singles to go sugar free/caffeine free powder (10 Calories each) also this Go Splash Water enhancer (0 calories). I really like them, so I am drinking 4 or 5 (16.9 FL OZ) bottles of water a day. I also drink a glass of Diet Pepsi for the caffeine, I am afraid if I just stop drinking it right away I will get a migraine. I have noticed that I am feeling bloated, is that normal? Will it get better? Or should I be drinking less water? And these water enhancers I haven't read anything good or bad online, what's your opinion on them? Thanks

Last edited by KandiGC; 04-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
KandiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

You can absolutely drink too much water. It can even be toxic as it leeches the minerals out of your body. The best indicator of how you are doing with your fluid intake is your urine. It should be straw-colored, not clear and not yellow.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #3  
10 down 30 to go

S/C/G: 211/198/160

Height: 5'2

Stella, Thanks so much for your reply. I have been thinking the same thing about water. I have also been bloated a lot. I know now it may be too much water, because I have always thought when you are dieting your urine suppose to be clear. I did some research and your urine should NOT be clear. How much water do you drink a day?
blessedfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/T/180

Height: 5"2

Thanks Stella, I talked to my dr. and she said that I can drink 4 bottles of flavored water and drink a couple regular bottles but really shouldn't drink more than that.
KandiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedfly1 View Post
Stella, Thanks so much for your reply. I have been thinking the same thing about water. I have also been bloated a lot. I know now it may be too much water, because I have always thought when you are dieting your urine suppose to be clear. I did some research and your urine should NOT be clear. How much water do you drink a day?
I don't drink any plain water. I drink coffee, tea, 1 glass of wine per day, and (when working out) soda water mixed with juice or flavour enhancers like Mio. I have no idea how much I drink because I base it purely on thirst and mood.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 04-14-2013 at 01:29 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You can drink too much water, but it takes quite a lot.

I would take a look at the artificial flavors, sweetening and coloring and other ingredients in them. They may be the culprit.

I'm not a big plain water drinker either, but found that things like Crystal light, there is something in that stuff, that I can tolerate a bit of, but can't overdo.

For water, I toss a couple of lemon wedges in with the water in a big ole bottle, a bit of flavor, and for me much more thirst quenching.

Just my 2 cents.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #7  

I probably drink about 40-50 oz. of water a day and 12 oz. of other fluids (green tea, protein shake, juice, soda, etc.). I get more water on days I work out for sure. It's also important to spread out your water intake; it doesn't do you any good to chug a bunch of water at once and not drink throughout the day.

Last edited by stella1609; 04-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I drink a lot of things that have water in them. Beer, for one. So, on that basis, yes I can drink too much 'water'!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #9  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

It looks like your question has been answered, but I thought I'd throw my 10 cents in. Remember that there is water in the foods you eat as well, which should be added into your total water intake. Foods such as fruit, meat (unless you have it well-done), tomatoes... the list goes on and on.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #10  

I think the bloating sounds like it is being caused by the artificial sweetener in the water enhancers.

Drinking too much plain water can lead to hyponatraemia due to the water causing low sodium levels. Hyponatraemia leads to swelling in the brain and can kill you. You don't actually need to drink that much to get it either. Drinking water too fast can cause it as well. The golden rule is don't drink more than 135 oz or 4 litres of water a day and drink it slowly, spread out over the whole day.

Symptoms include:

Nausea and vomiting
Headache
Confusion
Loss of energy
Fatigue
Restlessness and irritability
Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps
Seizures
Unconsciousness
Coma
SnowPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

I drink 128 ounces every day. My dr said it wouldnt hurt me to increase it a bit even. I have to drink a full gallon or I get kidney stones. I drink a cup of coffee each morning. I do drink my water spread out through the day.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #12  
New-b

S/C/G: 219/ticker/155

Height: 5ft

So how much is too much?
WannaB2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1609 View Post
You can absolutely drink too much water. It can even be toxic as it leeches the minerals out of your body. The best indicator of how you are doing with your fluid intake is your urine. It should be straw-colored, not clear and not yellow.
its called water intoxication and it only occurs under extreme water consumption like in a water drinking contest where you drink way over 4liters (closer to 15 liters i think) and within a short amount of time. drinking 8-12 glasses spread through out the day is fine and recommended and wont cause water intoxication. so its actually hard to drink too much water under normal circumstances and is a non issue usually.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadkittens View Post
its called water intoxication and it only occurs under extreme water consumption like in a water drinking contest where you drink way over 4liters (closer to 15 liters i think) and within a short amount of time. drinking 8-12 glasses spread through out the day is fine and recommended and wont cause water intoxication. so its actually hard to drink too much water under normal circumstances and is a non issue usually.
That is incorrect. It can happen to anyone who drinks too fast, even just a litre. Do a google. It is happening more commonly now due to people being told to drink lot's of water when exercising. 4 litres per day is definitely the cut off unless you increase your sodium intake with the guidance/advice of a qualified expert. Everyone needs to be aware of this.

Last edited by SnowPetal; 04-21-2013 at 07:24 AM.
SnowPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaB2cute View Post
So how much is too much?
It just depends on the situation and person. Drink when you are thirsty, and pay attention to your urine Don't drink just because you think you should be drinking.