South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/177/160

Height: 5'7

Default New SBD Convert....what's up with the sweets?

Hi Ladies!!! I am so excited. Just finishing up my SBD phase one down 8 pounds 17 more to go to reach my goal. But of course on to phase two and I'm scared to eat fruit or anything with sugar for that matter.....so of course I've gone a little crazy with things such as Carbolite ice cream, sugar-free coco....but the problem is i still can't seem to control the portions when it comes to my "artificial sweets". Also, I haven't lost anything over the last few days. I kinda of want to go back to phase one for another week or so. How long did most of you stay in phase 1? What are your favorite sweet treats?
By the way, I heard stevia is better than Splenda because it's a bit more natural...but i decided stevia is nasty.......i personally don't like the taste....anyways...I am super excited i found this site and even more excited to be making some serious progress with my body reshaping and refining....Last week i eased up on the exercise cause it was "that time" but this week..my goal 5 days either in the gym or at least taking a walk......Ideally, I would like to lose 10 pounds by mid-May....I think it's feasible .....all the best and have a great week!
empresslotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

I don't really eat "artificial sweets often" Doesn't matter if it is real or "fake" ice cream I cannot control myself. Form me a splurge is done not at home. Restaurants would look at you funny if you ordered a second or third dessert. One of my favorite indulgences is plain Chiobani FF yogurt with strawberries, cocoa powder, sliced almonds and a pinch of stevia. Give your body a little time to adjust to P2. I didn't lose anything the first week on it and I was following it perfectly. you do not have much weight to lose, so you probably won't see big numbers which is normal. Congratulations you are doing great!!
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on your weight loss and

I relied on artificial sweeteners much more in the early days...NSA ice cream, fudgecicles, SF puddings, SF jello, etc etc...diet sodas.

For me, SBD has become my way of life and at my age (55) it's also about making healthier choices. I haven't bought any of the above mentioned for ages now...but it was a transition. I also have issues with portion control.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #4  
iheartflipflops

S/C/G: 342.2/332.9/299

Height: 5'9.5"

Hello.
Congrats on the weight loss during Phase 1!!
I'm starting Phase 1 today. I didn't buy much of the sweets (not a huge sweet fan) some sugar free jello that I'm going to make into jigglers, so if I do get a sweet craving I can grab a square out of the fridge and just be done with it. I bought some SF fudge pops and some Truvia for my morning tea. It's totally not my usual squirt of honey, but I'll get used to it. It was on sale and I found a coupon, can't beat that!
Good luck on Phase 2.
iheartflipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/180/150

Height: 4'10"

Hi,
I have been on SB two weeks and have only lost 4 lbs. I have a lot to lose and sadly this diet seems like most of the others I have tried. Everyone loses a lot a first and I don't. I haven't cheated and this is why I get so discouraged about going on a diet. If I could see some results, then I would be gung ho.
DonnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

4 lbs in 2 weeks is great. If you consistently lose more slowly than others seem to, then it will probably be the same with SB too. The difference with SB is that you can eat delicious food, still lose weight, and keep your body healthy too. Everyone says this but it can be repeated: it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. I'd ask yourself: what foods do I usually miss when I diet? Post your answers, and let's see if we can find SB friendly solutions for you so you don't feel deprived. Hang in there!
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #7  

Thanks for the encouragement. I am not going to give up and plan on drinking more water as I read that you retain water when you don't drink enough and I don't. What is so amazing on SB is that I haven't been craving sweets and I really have a sweet tooth. I am craving a little bread and since I am just now starting phase II, I am going to try it. I am older than some here and wonder if maybe the reason I lose weight so slowly is because of that, because I really have been following SB and not cheating.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

If you like the foods you can eat on SB and even if you only lose .5 per week, in a year that is 25 lbs. You are going to be a year older anyway; you may as well be a year older and 25 lbs. lighter! For me, the SB way of eating really works and I feel satisfied because I don't have to be so militant about not using fats; I like olive oil and cheese too. The way I work it is that I generally avoid most carbs outside of quinoa, but when I go off plan, as I do for at least one meal a week, I eat whatever I want. I'm maintaining now so I have more flexibility than when I was trying to lose. You will get there, this is a great eating plan.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

DonnaK - we also encourage people to post their menu, and let others evaluate it. Sometimes some tweaking can really help you out as well. Glad those cravings are gone! Watch out, "trying a little" something may set those cravings off - just to warn you!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #10  

Here is my menu from yesterday.
B. Poached egg and canadian bacon
S. cheese stick
L. Shake made with ricotta cheese, almond milk, protein powder and SF Jello
S. Cashew nuts about 12
D. Quinwa with stir fry veggies
S. 2 Large strawberries dipped in chocolate
I try not to eat a lot of raw veggies as I have Crohns and have to limit them sometimes. I try and eat most veggies cooked.

Last edited by DonnaK; 04-16-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #11  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaK View Post
Here is my menu from yesterday.
B. Poached egg and canadian bacon
S. cheese stick
L. Shake made with ricotta cheese, almond milk, protein powder and SF Jello
S. Cashew nuts about 12
D. Quinwa with stir fry veggies
S. 2 Large strawberries dipped in chocolate
I try not to eat a lot of raw veggies as I have Crohns and have to limit them sometimes. I try and eat most veggies cooked.
Ah, I see you have Crohn's Disease and limit raw veggies... I was going to suggest that you need a lot more veggies (unless you had 4.5 cups of veggies in your stir-fry, which is possible). That is the goal to aim for. I have found I do best when I plan my veggies and protein sources first, then the rest is "filler" (of course the filler is often what I want, but that is another story...)

Here are a couple of ideas - and keep in mind I have no idea if you have veggie restrictions due to the Chron's: add veggies to your morning eggs... sauteed peppers, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes... if you make SBD-compliant pancakes, you can add zucchini or cauliflower to them (I do that lots, you can't really taste the veggie addition. I steam the cauliflower first, and both of these veggies end up cooked in the final pancake).

For your smoothie, I assume you can't add *raw* spinach, right? I think some people have made green smoothies with frozen spinach, which is usually cooked. If you are up for a green smoothie, you could try that. Also if you could eat raw cucumbers, I often freeze cucumber chunks and use them like ice cubes. Both of these are pretty tasteless in a smoothie but the spinach certainly changes the color.

What about *blanched* veggies? Cooked lightly but still have some texture? I much prefer blanched broccoli/cauliflower/etc over raw with hummus... also I make a Brussels sprouts salad that blanches the sprouts first.

If you can tolerate fruits, berries are great. Blueberries especially. And citrus. Most people on SBD find that it is better to eat a fruit with a protein or fat: blueberries with Greek yogurt for example, orange with nuts or cottage cheese, apple with a nut butter or lowfat cheddar etc. Less of that "sugar spike."

I don't know if any of this helps you but I would say that within the limitations of your condition, try to get more veggies and low GI fruits in, and more spaced throughout the day.

But as said above, 2 lbs/week is perfectly respectable! Good luck in figuring out what works for you longterm!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #12  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by empresslotus View Post
Hi Ladies!!! I am so excited. Just finishing up my SBD phase one down 8 pounds 17 more to go to reach my goal. But of course on to phase two and I'm scared to eat fruit or anything with sugar for that matter.....so of course I've gone a little crazy with things such as Carbolite ice cream, sugar-free coco....but the problem is i still can't seem to control the portions when it comes to my "artificial sweets". Also, I haven't lost anything over the last few days. I kinda of want to go back to phase one for another week or so. How long did most of you stay in phase 1? What are your favorite sweet treats?
By the way, I heard stevia is better than Splenda because it's a bit more natural...but i decided stevia is nasty.......i personally don't like the taste....anyways...I am super excited i found this site and even more excited to be making some serious progress with my body reshaping and refining....Last week i eased up on the exercise cause it was "that time" but this week..my goal 5 days either in the gym or at least taking a walk......Ideally, I would like to lose 10 pounds by mid-May....I think it's feasible .....all the best and have a great week!
Ha! I noticed we have almost the same distance to go here ... I think my 21 lbs to go is a ridiculous unattainable goal [ETA: I just lowered my loss goal so now the total is "only" 25 lbs instead of 30]. I would be thrilled with 17 more, and honestly happy if I could just lose 5-10 from where I am now. I'm one of those slooooooow losers. Apparently I have a new set-point over the last few years and I'm sitting right at it.

Ten pounds by mid-May is a LOT, unless you are quite young (I could easily do that in my early 20s). Not impossible but pretty hard to do when you are close to your goal.

Back to the original title of the post - I would be happy if I could not use any sweeteners at ALL! I don't in my coffee/tea and I go through phases where I can eat Greek yogurt plain. But sadly I think I also gravitate toward sweet things far more than I should. I have learned to tolerate some forms of stevia - you have to be careful with that, it gets bitter when you use too much. So if you are determined to use it, try a few different types. Good luck to you!

Last edited by EmmaD; 04-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote