Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #1  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Stalling!!! How do I break a stall?!?!?! Will intermittent fasting help?

I read somewhere it always breaks a stall. I guess I will try it out today but does anyone else have advice? I am trying to lose those last 10 or so pounds. Ugh! I am at the 130 border, can't seem to get into the 120's! Usually a cheat day works but I tried that, I gained water weight but lost that quickly then just landed back on 130.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't trust anything that claims "always".

If IFing is something you'd like to try there's absolutely no harm in doing it. It's more like a way of eating than some sort of trick to get through a stall.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/167/150

Height: 5'5

first off congratulations on being so close to your goal weight ! your doing an awesome job ! How long have you been stalled? if its less then a month I wouldnt worry too much. My advice would be just continue on with your diet , your body will give shed the pounds when its ready to. i wouldnt recommend fasting it can really hurt your system and slow down your metabolism.

Last edited by Nichole2013; 04-12-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Nichole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

IF is the same calories, just timed differently around a workout and more convenient for some people. You could try it, why not? I actually found it helpful to best through 130 too - but just because I found it easier to tighten up on the calories without a nibble here and there (which can keep you out of featherweight goals!).
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Intermittent fasting will always break a stall? Nope.

I'm probably the biggest fan of intermittent fasting around these parts but calories will always dictate fat loss or gain.

A stall means one of two things.

1) You're losing fat and retaining water. Dispite what you will read by various people there isn't always one solution to this because the causes are numerous. I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you have some upcoming event that you're trying to look your best for. The water will come out sooner or later.

2) You're not in a caloric deficit and not losing fat.

If you haven't been at the same weight for more than a couple months you could be retaining water. Women can retain water for a long time, unfrotuantely.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Intermittent fasting will not hurt your metabolism in any way, nor will it mess with your system. But as Stephanie said, it shouldn't be used as a quick fix.

A good way to test to see if you are indeed hanging on to water is to drop your carbohydrate level for a few days. This will have a diuretic effect, but your mileage may vary.

I'm in the middle of a stall myself. I really do believe that our bodies just need "breaks" occasionally, even if the science doesn't support me Don't stress over it, because stress is going to make it that much harder to lose.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #7  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I don't know what plan you're following, but is it time to check and make sure you are absolutely compliant (measuring, weighing food, etc.)?

Your intake may have been low enough to get you to 130 but not any lower, so it might need to be adjusted.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #8  
Almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethFromDayton View Post
I don't know what plan you're following, but is it time to check and make sure you are absolutely compliant (measuring, weighing food, etc.)?

Your intake may have been low enough to get you to 130 but not any lower, so it might need to be adjusted.
Well, I am really following my own made up plan and I am definitely at a calorie deficit appropriate for my current weight. I count everything so I am ok in that department. I have been at a stall for under a month, hmmm. Oh well I will see how the following week goes, thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars View Post
Well, I am really following my own made up plan and I am definitely at a calorie deficit appropriate for my current weight. I count everything so I am ok in that department. I have been at a stall for under a month, hmmm. Oh well I will see how the following week goes, thanks for the advice everyone!
I was stuck at 132 and recently pushed to 129 and it was about a 6 week stall for me!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Patience!

It took me 3 months to go from 142 to 138. The last few are tough.

The good news, is I stuck with it, stayed patient, looked at it as a long term lifestyle, and now I can say I've successfully maintained my loss for 18 months!

Plus sometimes, your body just needs time to catch up with what you are doing.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #11  
Almost there!

Just an update, I broke my stall! 128.8 today! Thanks again for the advice you gave everyone! I guess I just had to wait it out.

Last edited by Stars; 04-15-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #12  
Empress/Queen

Thumbs up

Woot! Congratulations, that's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars View Post
Just an update, I broke my stall! 128.8 today! Thanks again for the advice you gave everyone! I guess I just had to wait it out.

Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote