Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #1  

Default Is there any company standards to the IP diet

Hello!

I am new here. I have read many questions and have not seen any information that is the company policy on the food other than it is up to your coach. How can these 'coaches' tell you what to do when they are all doing something different? I want to know that fastest way to lose this weight - period.

So here I am... spending lots of money on this diet that I was told was fast and I am losing slow.... am I losing slow because I eat my food through out the day and not 4 times a day?

I have only lost 6.5 lbs in 13 days. I have over 60 lbs to lose and will not stay motivated if I am losing only 2.5 lbs per week. I can do that on WW. Is my wt loss slow because I am 56 and have one packet of Stevia in coffee?

Sorry. My questions are more WHY I can't on these items:

If I chew ONE piece of Orbit sugar free gum. (Less than 1G of carbs and sugar alcohol and less the 5 calories.) My coach says NO gum.... why do other couches say it is ok? Will this hurt my weight loss? Is it the sugar alcohol and how can one piece be that bad?

TIA
DDRSHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7

As many will tell you, weight loss is not linear. You've had a great loss already. Just be patient and know that the program works. Some of us here have had the same weight loss you've had, less than what you've had and some have lost none. All I can really offer you is read up on these boards and take from it what you will. These folks here are a wealth of info and personal experience. They've helped me out of a slump or two.

Last edited by ZOMBIEDAWN; 04-09-2013 at 09:16 PM.
ZOMBIEDAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #3  
Started 3/4/13

S/C/G: 188/188/130

Height: 5'5

Also remember that this is the only plan where you will lose all fat! That trumps WW and all the other options for me.
shoediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I think you need to be somewhat realistic with your weight loss goals. 1 lb is 3500 kcal. You need to incorporate a big daily calorie deficit to loose more than what you are doing. At your age and depending on how much you move, you may not burn that many calories anymore. If IP is too expensive, you can use alternative products or change to WW. But the fat is not simply going to melt off overnight. No matter what diet you are using. I am afraid you will have to adjust expectations somewhat if you do not want to fail. I loose a lot less than you do and I am at it for a little over one year now. It will take as long as it will take and it will likely slow down as you go.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

If you lose at that rate with WW you are doing incredibly well. Why do you not just do that? Personally I gain with WW but if I lost over 2 pounds a week doing it I would not spend the$$$ for a more expensive program.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/269/145

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRSHL View Post
Hello!

I am new here. I have read many questions and have not seen any information that is the company policy on the food other than it is up to your coach. How can these 'coaches' tell you what to do when they are all doing something different? I want to know that fastest way to lose this weight - period.

So here I am... spending lots of money on this diet that I was told was fast and I am losing slow.... am I losing slow because I eat my food through out the day and not 4 times a day?

I have only lost 6.5 lbs in 13 days. I have over 60 lbs to lose and will not stay motivated if I am losing only 2.5 lbs per week. I can do that on WW. Is my wt loss slow because I am 56 and have one packet of Stevia in coffee?

If I chew ONE piece of Orbit sugar free gum. (Less than 1G of carbs and sugar alcohol and less the 5 calories.) My coach says NO gum.... why do other couches say it is ok? Will this hurt my weight loss? Is it the sugar alcohol and how can one piece be that bad?

TIA
There are some "over 50" threads. I think losing weight is just harder when you are post menopause. I think that those women could share their experiences and maybe give you some ideas about the food options you are choosing that might help you.

But also look through the IP threads. Some women post their weight lost per week with their weight ticker. I notice that with most people it is about 2-3lbs/week after the first few weeks. And the company changed their claims to that number. (When I called a center and talked with one of the coaches last month when I first looked into this diet she said women usually lose about 2lbs/week and men 3-4lbs.) You can lose 2lbs a week with weight watchers but you have to exercise regularly to lose that fast. With IP people lose their weight with minimal or no exercise which I think is a drawing point for many people who don't have the time or don't like exercise.
charliebear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Bad news:

Marketing claims do not reflect reality.

Good news:

You've found 3 fat chicks. This forum is an excellent resource.

While I can certainly understand your frustration of conflicting information you need to recognize that at your height and weight the current amount of loss is substantial regardless of your age. Regardless of what IP tells it's dieters about ketosis and pancreas vacations fat loss is always an equation of energy. Energy is measured in calories.

Sugar free gum will not affect your fat loss. Why? Virtually no calories.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #8  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Hello!

TIA
You made a decision to start IP ....give it a chance.

Seems to me from reading your post that you are not coming at this in a positive way.

I attended a Conference On Food , Mood and Cogintion, and it addressed how stress plays a large role on how we do.

I have and continue to be successful because I refuse to stress myself out and I have consciously chosen to do things that will optimize my success.

Going to the conference confirmed that keeping your head in a good place is the best for your health in general.
I am sharing this with you to help you see it is more about the number on the scale is ...it is about where your head is Too!

Also random acts on kindness is good for the brain.l. But it has to be to a stranger ...and she suggests doing 3 a day.
Spending 20 minutes a day Meditating, getting out in nature, learning a new skill that requires you to actively to use you brain.

Being positive is really good for your brain.
I hope you take this in the spirit it was given.....I would like you to be successful ... It is a mind and body thing.

I will personally attest how great the program has worked for me in a relatively short time.
I think if I had I not worked the program ....I would not be sitting here with the amazing weight loss! My PCP is amazed at my results and my ability to turn things around when I had so many health issues.

If you feel another diet would be better for you than maybe you would be better to switch ......whatever you do you need to reduce your stress level !! Increase Cortisol levels have a serious impact on weight and your health.

Best of luck, try to enjoy the journey to improving your health,
Protect your Hippocampus
Roo2

Last edited by Roo2; 04-10-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 0/9/40

Height: 5' 1.25"

DDRSHL-I totally understand where you are coming from. I too have had my moments of frustration. In fact....my first weigh-in I actually gained .6 #. Wow! But the plan just makes sense. I stayed on plan, choosing to at least give it my best. I have continued to lose, what is a small amount in comparison to others, but I was loosing nothing when I was doing what I was doing. I realize my history of frequent dieting, not very active, my age, my heights...all of these can contribute to the slowness of loss. Possibly check out the Dr Tran book in the stickies for some diet questions. But I really lean on the people from this site, they really have the experience where the rubber meets the road. Good luck, keep your chin up. (I can say that now, and later be back here for a cheerleading/counseling session!!) (((Hugs)))
Jeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #10  

Quote:
Hello!

The company policies on food are on the informational sheets they give.
The coaches have a HUGE manual and go through training (my coach is a regional rep and does a lot a of training so I've learned this from her...I'm not a coach nor connected to the company in any way, other than being a consumer)
But, although companies do have standards, each coach is "out there" on their own and difficult to monitor so there are definitely deviations...which we all seem to catch here!

The more I read about weight loss from various experts, especially in women and as we get older, it REALLY is more than just calories in/calories out. There are a HOST of hormones that affect weight loss such as insulin, leptin and cortisol to name a few of many. Research is being done and they are just beginning to learn how all the hormones in our bodies act and interact on our metabolisms.

This plan works but we have to be patient.
From your post I see a couple of things: willingness to try a diet plan but not stick to all the rules. Yup. Rules can be silly at times but guess what? The plan works. I learned about this plan EIGHT MONTHS before I started it because of all the excuses I conjured up about why I couldn't (wouldn't) do it. I could be at goal right now but I didn't start.

The fastest way to lose weight period? Start losing weight and stick to the plan 100%. There will be ups and downs along the way. Any cheats or deviations can slow you down. Why take the chance just out of sheer stubbornness (that's what mine was, anyway!)

You will stay motivated if you keep yourself motivated. If you tell yourself you won't stay motivated, then you are right. You won't stay motivated. 60 lbs is NOT an overnite proposition. How long did it take you to gain that weight? What if it takes 6 or 7 months to lose it? You could be 6-7 months older and 60 lbs lighter or 6-7 months older and the same old heavy weight.

Go for it! Do the plan! Lose the weight!
If the expense is a problem, read the alternative threads. There are tons of products that will work.

And BTW: You are NOT losing slow! 6.5 lbs in 13 days is FAST!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/130/135

Height: 5'1

I have done WW several times and lost weight on an average of 2 pounds a week. I am currently doing IP products and have lost from 2.4 to 3.6 a week. IMO, the difference is I am learning how I should be eating rather than eating whatever I want but in less quantities. Technically in WW if you save all of your daily points throughout the day you can go to McDonalds and get yourself a Big Mac combo. What are you learning about eating healthier by being "able" to do that? So yes, the weight loss maybe the same for some weekly, however I also see it as learning a life long lesson in eating properly.
Canadiandieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #12  

A person has to figure out what works long-term as an individual.

That is the ultimate challenge whether it's WW, IP, or some other eating plan.

IP is great for taking weight off and you definitely learn a different way to eat--it's when you get to your goal weight that the challenge comes in, at least for me.

Maintaining any weight loss is the most difficult part--just check out the other threads especially the rebooting thread and this becomes very apparent.

Any diet plan or change-of-eating plan is quite motivating while you are actively losing weight. Once you get to your goal is when it gets the hardest at least in my opinion and experience.

Last edited by swerdna59; 04-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.
swerdna59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 153.8/142/120

Height: 5'0"

First of all - Welcome! As was said before, reading through the threads is very helpful. My coach is a registered dietician, but she has never been OP, so I rely a lot on my own research and the amazing amount of information on 3FC. I, like many other people, can lose the weight on most programs (until I hit my plateau or cheat, etc), but, even with all of the research I've done, I've never really taught myself how to consistently eat better. So ... I gain it all back. What I've learned over the past month (short time, I know), is that I can prepare my meals. I drive around all day for my job and don't have access to a refrigerator or microwave most days. I used that as an excuse to hit the drive-through on a regular basis. Even when on other plans, this was allowed within reason. The problem for me was, I found more "reasons" than were actually warranted and became a regular at these places on my route. The process of IP is teaching me to plan for contingencies. The four phases are helping me to learn that I really can control my food planning, and by Phase 4 I will have the knowledge and experience to know I can do this.
I don't know if this is the plan for you, only you know that. All I can say is I have been faxed with so many things that would have made me cheat or quit over the past month, but it's been fine. I hardly have cravings, but when I do, I have OP options. I'm learning to eat things I would have never tried. I'm learning about how to be in control. On previous diets, I lost 5-7 pounds a week, but I didn't learn anything. Even on WW, I tried to speed it up with diet pills (bad idea). I love that there are no drugs of any kind. I'm sorry I wrote so much (I'm a talker), but I want you to know that IP can make a difference that goes beyond what you see on the scale. I wish you all the best on your journey!
Sansfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Patience and Complience = Sucess!

Lisa is one of the clear voice's of wisdom and experience on this forum. She's gotten amazing results and has met most of the issues I have wondered about head on. Present and past posts are full of intelligent, open, candid clarification and generous sharing with what she's learned. (My coach on IP is a joke....)Thank heavens for the VOICES...on the forum!!
Others who have posted regularly esp on the Golden Girls threads: Evepet, Mollly , Greeniris, Maezy, Scorbett,Joysh...they are amazing and are all invaluable resources as well. I've probably left someone out and I apologize...!! They've dealt with so many/most of the pitfalls and are incredibly willing to help everyone. Open honest and frank. If you follow the sheet with a few clarifications like unclear portion sizes and get your head wrapped around the NO CHEATING...most people will lose. Weight watchers does not work for everyone....(me).But honestly..there is room for cheating on that plan...so if you must have that little vacation....then it may be better.

That being said...my own experience is I started out losing slowly..2 lb/wk range. Did not get the dramatic numbers some get...but as they say, slow and steady wins the race. I'm almost 65....so I expected NOT to lose 5lbs in the first week. I'd like to lose at least 75 lbs...65 by my birthday in August. I've had a few 4 lb weeks so far but they are not my pattern... my average loss is about 2.8 lbs...I made a tracking spreadsheet for myself that calculates all my weekly numbers. I think someone else posted a shell for anyone who can't create an excel or numbers (MAC) spreadsheet. The manual one the IP office uses on my chart is worthless. Also, I lost inches and body fat% faster than pounds, esp in the beginning...which I appreciate now because THAT is where the clothes start to hang poorly!!

After 3 months..(started Jan 10-2013 was down 34.2 lbs this AM)!! My BMI is now 30.0...I am within a half pound of falling off the obesity chart. Yesterday I bagged up 27 grocery bags of clothes..all seasons...a few different sizes..hollowing out every closet where I had stashed stuff as I outgrew things.. made 3 trips to a goodwill drop-off with them. GONE..all the evidence... That was absolutely everything I owned until last weekend!! None of it fit me. Have a few things (5 pr pants 9 tops) hanging in my closet now that are either new-new or resale-new-to-me-new to go into the nice weather. Three months was not so long to invest to have to start from scratch with clothing....and there is NO WAY I'll stop now!! I plan to need a few more things when it gets hot-hot...and a lot when fall returns to the middle Atlantic. I sent a photo of myself to my daughter in Tx and my SIL...comemented..."where'd MiMi go?"

It feels wonderful in the new duds...and not cheating and but sticking to the plan and getting answers to my questions on this board made it easy for me to stay OP. There are a lot of people who have been doing this for a while and seeing that it works for them made me determined to eat what and when, drink MORE than the recommended amount of water...eliminate all but 1 cup of caffeinated coffee (I was addicted to espresso shots IN my coffee) and haven't had a glass of wine since New Year's day. Guess what... ?

Stuff I worried about handling in the beginning...really OK with now. Almost at the halfway mark...and ain't no stoppin' me now. HANG IN THERE!

kathie

Last edited by 65X65; 04-10-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spacing
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #15  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

If you can lose the same amount on WW then maybe that is what you should do. It's way cheaper than IP is, and you are getting the same results.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote