Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 4'11

Unhappy 1 week until surgery, still not approved. Kidney stones too

I'm just so frustrated. I'm scheduled to have gastric bypass next Tuesday. I've been denied, I've been sent for every test under the sun. My surgeron finally resubmitted everything to tricare last Thursday and now I can do is wait and pray. Then yesterday out of no where I start having severe pains in my back, I went to the Er and found out I have multiple kidney stones, fantastic. I hope this wont effect the surgery. I'm thinking of not even telling my surgeon, although he is in the same network as the Er so I'm sure he'll find out. I haven't even started my diet as I have no idea if the surgery is even gonna happen. Why tourture myself?
Disneygirl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

you HAVE TO tell the surgeon. he needs ALL the information - yes, even the stuff you don't want to admit - so that he can take proper care of you. And he'll be able to tell you if it's safe for you to have surgery so soon after the kidney stones [yikes!!!!]

and i'm soooo sorry you're hitting so many roadblocks and challenges. but please take care of yourself while you're jumping over them and banging into them.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #3  

Just got the call that surgery isn't happening. My dr office resubmitted my package with the additional test results tricare requested ( cardiologist, blood work, pulmonary dr, & chest X-ray ), they are now saying I need to appeal that denial.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

good grief. please hang in there - take a deep breath - and get ready for a long heart to heart with your doc and perhaps with your insurance company about exactly why they denied the surgery. it could be any number of reasons - including administrative stuff that have nothing to do with your health.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
you HAVE TO tell the surgeon. he needs ALL the information - yes, even the stuff you don't want to admit - so that he can take proper care of you. And he'll be able to tell you if it's safe for you to have surgery so soon after the kidney stones [yikes!!!!]

and i'm soooo sorry you're hitting so many roadblocks and challenges. but please take care of yourself while you're jumping over them and banging into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
good grief. please hang in there - take a deep breath - and get ready for a long heart to heart with your doc and perhaps with your insurance company about exactly why they denied the surgery. it could be any number of reasons - including administrative stuff that have nothing to do with your health.
I doubly second what jiffy said! I'm so sorry this happened and just keep hanging in there! I will be praying that you get approved ASAP!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #6  

Thanks ladies. It really helps to have this site, it's been the first place I turn.

I just got back from my surgeons office, I had to sign a paper giving them permission to do an expedited appeal on my behalf. I should know something by Friday, surgery is Tuesday. At least there is hope.

Has anyone ever done an appeal like mine?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #7  

I haven't had (and hopefully wont! ) an experience like yours so I can't give much advice, but I'm just popping in to wish you luck! Stick to it, I really hope it works out for you <3

Last edited by thinkfit; 04-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 318.5/301/180

Height: 5'6

How horrible!! Hope the appeal works!
2Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #9  
Releasing the inner hiker

I was initially denied due to some missing paperwork from my PCP. If I'm not mistaken, I think my surgeon's group also had to submit appeal paperwork. Once they received all the missing forms, the appeal approval happened fairly quickly (within 2 days if I recall). Good luck!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #10  

Zeitgeist- that's good to hear! This waiting game is killing me! I really hope it's approved. I have been waiting so long. My parents, sister and husband all took vacation to be here for me. I've schedule my sons 1st birthday party around the surgery. I wish I could just crawl in a hole until I get an answer.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #11  

Guess what......

I'm approved!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl52 View Post
Guess what......

I'm approved!!!!
So happy for you!!! I was following this thread hoping you got your good news soon!! Good luck!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #13  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl52 View Post
Guess what......

I'm approved!!!!
Whoo-hoo!!!!! So happy for you! What a relief!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #14  

YAY!!!!! omg! I had my fingers crossed for you, so glad you didn't have to have this drawn out any longer!

thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

good heavens!!! what changed??? ?congratulations! ya know - i've heard of some companies that'll turn people down for <fill in the blank here> just because they don't think the person will appeal the denial and they won't have to pay. and then when the appeal is filed, they approve it quickly.

wow. i'm so happy for you!!!!