Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #1  

Default IP Daily Chat Tuesday 4/9/2013

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
and here Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 0/9/40

Height: 5' 1.25"

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is having great NSV's and SV's this week....I did my home weigh in this morning and initially was disappointed. On Sunday I had lost to 146, then Monday morning was up 3.2 #...yikes. Really thought it was the all beef hot dogs and sauerkraut on Sunday. Yesterday I did my water aerobics class, got groceries (mostly veggies of course), and about 3 1/2 hours of yardwork. I was only down to 147, which over the week is a .4 loss from last week. My clinic weigh-in is this morning, and not expecting a loss there at all. But...over the course of 3 weeks OP on IP, am averaging 2# a week. That made me feel so much better! I might not be breaking records and it might be slower than other diets I have been on, but it is heading in the right direction . I am fasting this morning for my annual blood work draw, then home for a yummy smoothie, then in for my weigh-in. (I think those smoothies add a lot to my weigh-in with all of the ice I add to them, along with a large bottle of water and my usual amount of 1/2 caffeine coffee, that always makes me look bad on the scale there)....

Have a great day everyone......
Jeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #3  
IP start March 8th 2013

S/C/G: 217/206/160

Height: 5'9

Jeaner, things I learned from my home scale...and from these wonderful IPers on these boards...if I'm going to do daily WI at home, then expect these crazy variations. I try to not get too excited about gains and losses at home and focus on my clothes and how I feel. I feel great, full of energy and most important, fitting into smaller clothes!! My scale says 198 this AM, although ONEderland is fantastic, I remind myself that by Thursday at 4pm, at the clinic this will change.
That said, I'm running out of ideas for lunch: the school I teach at has a balanced day, which means I have a break at 11am then 1pm. I have breakfast at 7, so I'm lunch hungry by 11. Then, at 1, my salad and cucumbers are getting old! I have to keep my 3rd pack for after dinner, can't seem to stay full there. I tried making 0-0-0 jello from tea (yuck), I love (don't laugh) sugar free zero, but want to stay away from aspartame... Ideas??
newday2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.9/123.3/113

Height: 5'1.5"

I lost 6.8 on the first week, 2.6 the second week op. Now I am in the third week and my home scale shows only a few ounces. My WI is Saturday. What can I do to lose before Saturday? Should I not eat the restricted packets??
Jen02719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #5  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen02719 View Post
I lost 6.8 on the first week, 2.6 the second week op. Now I am in the third week and my home scale shows only a few ounces. My WI is Saturday. What can I do to lose before Saturday? Should I not eat the restricted packets??
Stick to the plan. You've got 4 days before WI and lots can happen between now and then. The few calories you save by not having a restricted are not going to make that much of a difference. Make sure you're getting all of your water and continue to stay the course. You'll have weeks where the scale might not move at all but you'll lose inches. That's still a loss. The program works the way it was designed and trying to "tweak" it doesn't help.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

This is really such a lesson in patience - and apparently one I need.

I know in my head that if I stick to the program the scale will move. But it can befrustrating when you are doing everything you are supposed to to the letter and the scale doesn't budge. Perhaps it was like getting to ONEderland...I was so hyperfocused on that goal, that I didn't see all the other changes that were happening for me.

I am almost desperate to put the 100 pound mark behind me and there are only 6 more pounds to go, but it seems either my brain or my willpower isn't cooperating.

Had a rough 2 months - had been using that Mio stuff and struggled with intense food cravings and craziness. I stopped using it 2 weeks ago and the cravings are now gone. But another unfortunate effect of that stuff was it seems to have kicked me out of ketosis and I barely lost any weight for the past 2 months. I guess in my head I had a goal of what I should weigh by now and am not even near it, so perhaps that is the feeling of desperation to "catch up".

93.8 pounds gone -- 66.2 pounds to go.

Sorry for the long ramble - just needed to get it out.
so with all of that, the scale stayed at 186.2 today.

Current weight 186.2
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #7  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat117 View Post
Kat you have done such an amazing job! It really stinks about the Mio slow down but chalk it up to one of life's little lessons. She can be an indifferent, if not cruel, teacher on occasion.

I'm currently striving to get in to the 180s and figure it'll be at least 2 more weeks (although the naked home scale already has me there). I'm not sure how frustrated I'd be if I stalled and it takes longer but I've committed myself to staying OP and have been 100% from the start. No sense in changing that now.

Good luck and stay strong!

Last edited by M35A2; 04-09-2013 at 09:53 AM.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #8  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Day 2 of P3 underway ... Just had my second big breakfast (sausage, egg, cheese on whole grain flatbread, Greek yogurt, sliced strawberries, coffee w/almond milk). Ironically I stepped on the scale this morning and am under 132 for the first time in what feels like eons (actually about 20 years). My next step is to start phasing in more weight training to help with toning and also to try to reverse a Vitamin D deficiency evident in my last round of blood work. (I'm also taking supplements and trying to get out in the sun more. Good timing for our move south!)

Hope everyone has a great day!
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #9  
Getting there!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/158

Height: 5'6

Good Tuesday morning.

I am in my "skinny" jeans and feel great!

I understand the frustration when the scale does not move and had this all week up and down. This morning down but I am retaining water because I don't feel good so it may be up tomorrow.

To me, this is the mental part of the diet. This is when my self doubts, disappointment, lack of immediate gratification take me down a dark road. This is where other diets have failed for me through lack of results (even one day). Keep with the program and change the attitude with "this is working" and as all the wise folks here say, it will.
workingit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaner View Post
I did my home weigh in this morning and initially was disappointed. On Sunday I had lost to 146, then Monday morning was up 3.2 #...yikes. Really thought it was the all beef hot dogs and sauerkraut on Sunday. Yesterday I did my water aerobics class, got groceries (mostly veggies of course), and about 3 1/2 hours of yardwork. I was only down to 147, which over the week is a .4 loss from last week. My clinic weigh-in is this morning, and not expecting a loss there at all. But...over the course of 3 weeks OP on IP, am averaging 2# a week. That made me feel so much better! I might not be breaking records and it might be slower than other diets I have been on, but it is heading in the right direction . I am fasting this morning for my annual blood work draw, then home for a yummy smoothie, then in for my weigh-in. (I think those smoothies add a lot to my weigh-in with all of the ice I add to them, along with a large bottle of water and my usual amount of 1/2 caffeine coffee, that always makes me look bad on the scale there)....
I really bounce around on home scale all week. I've found I'll be down in 2-3 lb "whooshes" and then the scale bounces back up and then gradually goes back down.
I've learned to be a neutral observer & just observe the trends (I figure it'll help in maintenance)
If we can't be neutral, we should stay off the scale between weekly weigh ins b/c it'll just stress us out.

Hotdogs & sauerkraut can definitely cause wateweight (hotdogs not technically on P1). Yardwork can cause muscle swelling, which is also inflammation/water weight. That is why monitoring every ounce will drive us batty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday2013 View Post
I'm running out of ideas for lunch: the school I teach at has a balanced day, which means I have a break at 11am then 1pm. I have breakfast at 7, so I'm lunch hungry by 11. Then, at 1, my salad and cucumbers are getting old! I have to keep my 3rd pack for after dinner, can't seem to stay full there. I tried making 0-0-0 jello from tea (yuck), I love (don't laugh) sugar free zero, but want to stay away from aspartame... Ideas??
Can you take something that you can split & have half at 11 and half at 1?
I used to take an IP soup with pureed veggies (I'm soy-free now so I don't do the soups but they were SO CONVENIENT for school!) I had it in a thermos. My favs were mushroom & cream of chicken. I pureed bok choy, leeks, celery, and mushrooms after braising them in some chicken broth.

Currently I split my breakfast. I make a giant (it really swells up) IP chocolate pudding/decaf/ smoothie blended with coffee ice cubes. It fills my 24 oz Tervis tumbler plus a huge coffee cup. I bring the tumber with me to drink around 10 am. I drink the part in the coffee cup before I leave the house, while I'm cleaning up the kitchen/packing up.

Another easy lunch at school for me: IP potato/zucchini rolls. I make 1 pack into 3 rolls. You could make it into 4 and have 2 at 11 and 2 at 1:00. I put the recipe in the recipe #4 thread.
This recipe would work using 2 c. of zucchini instead of 1 (just cook it "down" a bit first)

Hope these ideas help or spur other ideas!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #11  

Height: 6'

Today, a coworker said, "you have lost a lot of weight!" It was fantastic to have someone notice. I have almost 90 - 100 pounds to lose but very happy with the results so far and I'll take a 22 lb loss any day! This was the first time someone has said something since I began 7-1/2 weeks ago. It felt great. On another note, yesterday I could not get past the hunger pangs no matter what I did. Today is better thank goodness. Hope everyone is having a great day!
tallgirl231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #12  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat117 View Post

I know in my head that if I stick to the program the scale will move. But it can befrustrating when you are doing everything you are supposed to to the letter and the scale doesn't budge. Perhaps it was like getting to ONEderland...I was so hyperfocused on that goal, that I didn't see all the other changes that were happening for me.

I am almost desperate to put the 100 pound mark behind me and there are only 6 more pounds to go, but it seems either my brain or my willpower isn't cooperating.

Had a rough 2 months - had been using that Mio stuff and struggled with intense food cravings and craziness. I stopped using it 2 weeks ago and the cravings are now gone. But another unfortunate effect of that stuff was it seems to have kicked me out of ketosis and I barely lost any weight for the past 2 months. I guess in my head I had a goal of what I should weigh by now and am not even near it, so perhaps that is the feeling of desperation to "catch up".

93.8 pounds gone -- 66.2 pounds to go.

Sorry for the long ramble - just needed to get it out.

Current weight 186.2
:-) Guns and Roses song, "Patience" came to mind with your post. I just wanted to give you a I remember wanting to be 3-6 months further ahead of where I was - heck I still do! But we didn't put this weight on overnight, and it won't come off overnight either. For me, my losses slowed down after I got ~100 lbs off. It wasn't so much that any foods changed. I had less to loose, less weight to pack around with me during the day. I needed less calories a day just to maintain my weight than I did at my heaviest. Weight loss is not linear, and I fully expect I will slow down more the closer i get to a normal weight range. So, yes patience and perseverance is the key (at least for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I really bounce around on home scale all week. I've found I'll be down in 2-3 lb "whooshes" and then the scale bounces back up and then gradually goes back down.
I've learned to be a neutral observer & just observe the trends (I figure it'll help in maintenance)
If we can't be neutral, we should stay off the scale between weekly weigh ins b/c it'll just stress us out.

Hotdogs & sauerkraut can definitely cause wateweight (hotdogs not technically on P1). Yardwork can cause muscle swelling, which is also inflammation/water weight. That is why monitoring every ounce will drive us batty!
Well said Lisa! (as usual). I seem to remember someone finding low fat 100% turkey hotdogs and asking about them. I thought it was on P1. No bun of course, but the protein maybe okay (like you said technically not on P1). I'll have to see if I can find that post -okay found and linking it - not saying to eat them all the time, but maybe as a work around, they could be happening - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ogs-ok-ip.html
Edit to add - I bet you, with a Rainbow recipe for bread/bun or crepe you could do some sort of bun for one. Hmmm adventurous souls out camping might try it on the 4th of July or something.

Last edited by Halfagain; 04-09-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 208/208/145

Height: 5'2.5"

Cool First weigh in on Monday April 8, 2013.

First weigh in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this late last night so I thought I would put it in again this morning.

I did better then I thought I would. I lost 3.6 lbs and 5.25 inches overall. So that officially puts me in ONDERLAND! :c arrot:
Friday was tough because husband brought home cheeseburgers and fries in the afternoon and then made sausage and rice for dinner Saturday night. I miss rice. On top of that, I had a paper due and a test to study for on Saturday. Starting to stress. I did not give in and got everything done.
Saturday night, I went to a Pampered Chef party where I could not eat anything there. I did not cave! In June I'm going to host an all IP Pampered Chef Party!
Yesterday I started the dreaded period and felt awful all day but I still did not cave!
Today I felt better and even better after a great weigh in. Thank you for all the encouragement.
randygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Weigh in today and down 1.4 pounds!

I would like to take a moment to ask everyone, just remember we are here to get healthy, be patient with yourselves as none of us got to the 'unhealthy' places we were at before beginning this journey overnight. I just see too many people getting stressed over little things, and honestly among all the other terrible things stress can do to our bodies, it can cause inflammation which in turn can lead to water retention. So lets all relax and if daily ups and downs are getting to you, please wait for your weekly weigh in. That being said, I would not skip your weekly weigh in.

Have an awesome day!
MntRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/177/160

Height: 5.6

Down 2.2 today
Picked some different foods this week trying to spice it up a bit . Everyone have a great day, the sun if FINALLY shining in my town
heritagesoftail is offline   Reply With Quote