Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default Seattle metro folks

Seems like we have a few locals in this 100lb club - was just wondering who we have. It'd be nice to share some local information on farmers markets and walking trails or whatever else.

I'm out in North Bend and work in Bellevue - and have lived all over WA from Fox Island to Whidbey to Issaquah and Woodinville, down to Kent over to Eburg and Yakima and lots more.

If you live in other parts of WA or BC feel free to jump in.

If you're from Oregon, though, forget it! (j/k, j/k)

Last edited by rodeogirl; 04-07-2013 at 10:58 PM.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

Im not in the Seattle area right now, but we are moving there this summer! Im excited to read up on some inside info!
SarahFairhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Wow, fantastic idea for a thread!!

Saying hello from Kenmore... work in Redmond... spend every minute I can every chance I get at my favorite B&B... Anchorage Inn... one block from the waterfront in the lovely Victorian village of Coupeville (Whidbey Island)!!

I will start by saying there is a wonderful market in Bothell called "Yakima Fruit Market" -- during the summer they have the BEST local produce at good prices.

But all year round for fantastic organic produce, great organic pastas, nuts, other foods... wonderful hot and cold food bars, etc... we have a wonderful supermarket called PCC... biggest one is in Edmonds but they also have locations other places. I drive past a bunch of other grocery stores just to shop there!

For fresh raspberries in season, check out Dugalla Bay Farms in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island!! In fact I just went to their Facebook page and looks as if they are open all year for other stuff too. Also lots of good blueberry and strawberry farms on Whidbey. The weekly farmer's market in summer in Coupeville has lots of good local produce and crafts... and fantastic arts festival every year first weekend in August. I do my Christmas shopping there. I found a wonderful artist there for fantastic easy listening music... Gary Jess. If you like easy listening, check him out!!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-08-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFairhope View Post
Im not in the Seattle area right now, but we are moving there this summer! Im excited to read up on some inside info!
Welcome to our side of the world! I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 4 years so was a "right coaster" for a while too
Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

Thanks Misti! I am really, very excited. Its been a bit hard to get an online lay of the land. Seems like neighborhoods and suburbs are really different in the Seattle area -- and the price differences are STAGGERING. Currently looking at possibly Bothell. I just cant validate spending 2200/rent to live in Seattle proper or Redmond. Ya-ouch!
SarahFairhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #6  
career counselor a-gogo

Not specific to Seattle but I love Trader Joe's and there are enough of them around. Good food at decent prices. There is a PCC on Avondale in Redmond that's pretty good - a little more spendy.

I have a friend who used Full Circle Farm and really liked them. They deliver fresh produce to you once a week. I might try them when I have a little more spare cash.

Sarah - I love our side of the world but prepare yourself for traffic and rain. Before you pick a place to live you should test your commute at the time you will be commuting. And if you test in the summer know it will be longer in the winter. Our winters often get the better of people - it basically is grey/overcast/raining from November until May and mostly raining until July 5th. And while we're not Alaska we are North enough that in December/January you will go to work in the dark and leave in dark and some people can't handle that.

But August - it's like living in paradise.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 04-08-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #7  
career counselor a-gogo

Also, everyone will know you weren't raised here if you use an umbrella.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFairhope View Post
Thanks Misti! I am really, very excited. Its been a bit hard to get an online lay of the land. Seems like neighborhoods and suburbs are really different in the Seattle area -- and the price differences are STAGGERING. Currently looking at possibly Bothell. I just cant validate spending 2200/rent to live in Seattle proper or Redmond. Ya-ouch!
Oh yay, Bothell! It is right down the road from me. I love Bothell... just bought my condo in Kenmore because it is so much cheaper. If you move to Bothell we will be able to easily meet if you would like.

And not sure where on the East Coast you are but for sure in Fort Lauderdale the layout was totally different... so many gated communities and stuff, which are not very common here at all. And the "atmosphere" there was much more formal.

Yes, this is definitely an expensive area! But the landscape and beauty of this place is to die for!!!! Have you been here before?

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-08-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post
Also, everyone will know you weren't raised here if you use an umbrella.
LOL yeh.... might as well put a big sign on your back that says "TOURIST"
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #10  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Well I'm not in Seattle but I was just in North Bend a couple days ago! I am hoping to hike quite a few trails a long the pass this summer though. I live in Ellensburg for now (moving to Pullman in July). Just wanted to say hi!! Ohh and I LOVE Trader Joe's. I wish we had one around here.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #11  
career counselor a-gogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
LOL yeh.... might as well put a big sign on your back that says "TOURIST"
The only legit reason for using an umbrella is if you are dressed up to go to the 5th Avenue or Benaroya hall and you have to walk several blocks.

Even then I wouldn't use an umbrella but I can understand the people who do. I honestly don't even know where you buy umbrellas - you would think they'd be everywhere but I can't remember the last time I saw one in a store.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #12  
career counselor a-gogo

Tziri - I spent quite a few years in Eburg - I really love it and Yakima. Yes I loved living in Yakima, and I'm not afraid to say it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #13  

rodeogirl, too funny... I absolutely LOVE our gentle rain and cool cloudy days... and the way it keeps everything so clean and green. But yes, there is plenty of sunshine too if you just wait for it, ha.

And I often go to the PCC in Redmond on my way home from work, although on weekends I prefer the larger Edmonds one. Sometimes they can be pricey but not as much as they get called. This summer their produce was cheaper and better than either Safeway or QFC... and my Vegenaise is over $1.00 more at Fred Meyer than PCC. But yes, if you eat whole foods and organic it does cost a bit more at the store... but I've saved it at the doctor's office; not even a cold all winter.

Good advice about the commute! Fortunately where I live I can get to work and back... and church and back... without ever going on the freeway, which is a total disaster. But there are a LOT of back roads to places, ha. But definitely need to figure out the commute before deciding where to live!!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post
The only legit reason for using an umbrella is if you are dressed up to go to the 5th Avenue or Benaroya hall and you have to walk several blocks.

Even then I wouldn't use an umbrella but I can understand the people who do. I honestly don't even know where you buy umbrellas - you would think they'd be everywhere but I can't remember the last time I saw one in a store.
LOL they are not big sellers. I own a couple of them but did not even know where they are until recently deep cleaning the condo and found one of them. I can't imagine using it though LOL.

One nice thing about here as compared to most places is that there is very seldom any lightning or thunder... so you CAN walk and run in the rain safely, which to me is a huge advantage because I love it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #15  
career counselor a-gogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
And I often go to the PCC in Redmond on my way home from work, although on weekends I prefer the larger Edmonds one. Sometimes they can be pricey but not as much as they get called. This summer their produce was cheaper and better than either Safeway or QFC... and my Vegenaise is over $1.00 more at Fred Meyer than PCC. But yes, if you eat whole foods and organic it does cost a bit more at the store... but I've saved it at the doctor's office; not even a cold all winter.
Yeah it's good for quite a few things - it's definitely a better deal than Whole Foods which is ridiculously expensive in my opinion.

I make due with Costco and Trader Joes mostly.