Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #1  

Default Facourite tricks for eating less without going hungry..

(I'm hoping that this will become a sticky)

In no particular order:

*Splitting my lunch. I now eat half at 12 and half at 3. I don't need a snack then to keep me going in the afternoon and for some reason didn't get hungry after only half a lunch at 12. Even from the first day that I did it.

*Drink more water. When I first get hungry I drink a glass of water and this helps me delay eating for almost half an hour. Most liquids help this.

*Tight stomach holding in pants. I wore one of these to a wedding and they were so tight I felt uncomfortable eating lots. So didn't!

*Soup. Either before a meal or as a snack. So long as it's veg based it's low calorie but fills me and so I eat less of other food.

*Filling low calorie foods. It took me a while to figure out what these are for me but porridge is high on my list of favourites. It fills me for hours and is ridiculously low calorie. Turkey is another, and chicken. Noodles too. Egg whites.

*Distraction. This can be exercise or any kind of work. So long as it absorbs my mind or keeps me moving. (TV doesn't work for this) If I am distracted time passes faster and I seem to eat less. I will want to complete tasks too before eating. Finishing sewing a seam feels less important than food sometimes.

Over to you....
Intotouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Beer, for the evening anyway.

I never feel hungry with a belly full of hops and gas.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #3  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Related to Ian's but not QUITE the same...

I like fizzy drinks. A diet caffeine free pop fills me up for a bit.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

Why do I get the feeling I am the only person that uses beer and alcohol as part of their diet?

Last edited by IanG; 04-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #5  
the muse of memory

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling I am the only person that uses beer and alcohol as part of their diet?
I drink beer occasionally. Good beer, maybe once a week and generally only one. I'd rather eat food at night and more than one beer (especially on the otherwise empty stomach I'd need to make calorie allowance room for more than one beer) would make me tipsy.

I had a blood-orange hefeweizen yesterday, and drank about half a pint because it was late, I was tired, et cetera. It was delicious, but yeah. Beer is NOT a regular answer for me to those questions.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #6  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I use coffee, Ian. Lol

Coffee, tea, water....all day.

If I need to really get serious and stay on track, I revert back to my tried-and-true habit of turning everything into a salad. This way I can still cook for the family and eat a small portion, but on top of a huge salad.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #7  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I feel like I live on protein bars and coffee some days. :/ Not terribly healthy, but at least I buy organic, whole food ones! That's more a result of my over scheduled life than it is dieting.

If I eat a really high protein breakfast, I am less hungry all day.

Instead of eating lunch I eat three small snacks between 11-4.

I take a lot of supplements (again, not related to dieting, just something I have done for years) and I take them at night and by default drink a 20oz bottle of water to swallow them. That pretty much kills my desire for a bedtime snack.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
would make me tipsy
Well, I'm just back from my happy hour.

I refused all bar food and drank three pints of IPA and a fourth pint of Guinness.

Should be a good weigh in tomorrow. Expecting a whoosh. But there could be a slight stall after that due to too much booze.

Always a risk. But, generally worth it.

I don't feel hungry. Time for bed...

Last edited by IanG; 04-05-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post

Well, I have a glass of wine every night, though I wouldn't say I "use" the wine as part of my diet as much as make room for it. Anyway, cheers!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I've always loved oatmeal but i didn't realize until recently how MUCH you can eat for so little calories. One cup of dry oatmeal cooks up to a HUGE portion and it's only 300 calories.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #11  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
I use coffee, Ian. Lol

Coffee, tea, water....all day.

If I need to really get serious and stay on track, I revert back to my tried-and-true habit of turning everything into a salad. This way I can still cook for the family and eat a small portion, but on top of a huge salad.
Me too. Water throughout the day, and a coffee in the mid morning and mid afternoon.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #12  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Well, I'm just back from my happy hour.

I refused all bar food and drank three pints of IPA and a fourth pint of Guinness.

Should be a good weigh in tomorrow. Expecting a whoosh. But there could be a slight stall after that due to too much booze.

Always a risk. But, generally worth it.

I don't feel hungry. Time for bed...

I have actually done that before. My office went out for happy hour a few weeks ago. I was only going to drink one pint of beer (like you, an IPA). But one beer turned into two, then three and then four. On top of that, people starting buying shots. So, I had a couple shots of tequila, a lemon drop and red headed slut (I think that's what it was). The only bar food I had that night was a couple slices of raw tuna. I was afraid that my weight would go up. But, surprisingly, it did not. I guess giving up dinner was the trade-off.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #13  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks Joe. I'll try to stretch it to a few additional extra shots next time!

Ouch.

Last edited by IanG; 04-05-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #14  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

I very much enjoy a nice glass of sweet muscato or a mug of thick, malty beer (porters are my favorite!), however I enjoy the act of eating more. In general I try not to drink my calories unless it's a special occasion.

OP: I do home-made soups in large batches, freeze them, and pull some out as necessary. My favorite is beef and cabbage (which also has lots of other veggies, including onions, celery, potato, tomato, and carrot). I only use a minimal amount of beef and let it cook ALL DAY to get that amazing slow-cooked flavor. It ends up being only .48 calories per gram.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
I very much enjoy a nice glass of sweet muscato or a mug of thick, malty beer (porters are my favorite!), however I enjoy the act of eating more. In general I try not to drink my calories unless it's a special occasion.
My hunch is that booze is different, at least for my body.

Booze and the food that often goes with that equals weight gain. Absolutely.

But just booze resisting the munchies, I am not so sure. It does not seem to disrupt my weight loss on its own.

I would like to make 100lbs loss without giving up any beer (that would make an awesome goal pic!). And I am using beer to make me feel less hungry in the evenings (only). Like now, for instance...

Last edited by IanG; 04-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.