Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

Default When Cravings Are Persistent

What to do when the cravings won't go away! I crave sugar and simple carbohydrates, and I am in the process and cleaning it all out of my system. But what do you do when abstaining from those bad habits brings bouts of Depression? I already have Moderate/Clinical/Major Depression, but not getting the usual foods I impulsively eat on a daily basis makes me feel less like myself and sort of out of touch with other things that usually makes me happy.

Anyways, is it just focusing on something else, or does anyone have any success stories to get out of this "funk" when you can't get fatty, sweet, or salty foods that you normally thrive on?

I believe this step if very important is beginning to feel better and getting a jump start on losing weight and eating healthier. So basically, any natural pick-me-ups that have worked for you?
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/209/190

Height: 6'1

At the beginning, I was chewing gum to keep myself from eating all those junk foods, until the cravings began to die down later on in my regimen.
LadyP2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #3  

Definitely chewing gum and drinking water/coffee/tea in bulk.

I never thought I'd get over the urges to have junk food, comfort foods, all the bad stuff. But now, they are almost non-existent. And I have tools in my diet to satisfy the cravings if I do get them. I have protein bars instead of candy bars, a strawberry/spinach smoothie (it's awesome!) instead of an ice cream cone, little things like that.

I promise it will get better!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I've been struggling with this. Falling for the refined carbs just extended the process. I learned to focus on getting plenty of protein and healthy fats to ride out the cravings. But sometimes the cravings are just a behavioral issue. Like I was accustomed to getting a big cup of coffee with cream and a big oatmeal cookie at Starbuck's in the afternoons when I was dragging. When I stopped doing it, I missed it so! Eventually the craving went away, especially when I was eating enough protein and fats. But I had to trade out the behavior with something else. Sometimes I had a little cat nap, or took some time for mindful meditation, some stretching. Doing planks actually helps me get through a lot of that sort of anxiety.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #5  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

Hi,

I hear you on the frustration with cravings. For me, lately I have been making healthier changes but when I bring home certain trigger foods, the cravings still come. I don't know why my body or mind wants certain foods and beverages and not others, but I know they can be frustrating when I want something and it is persistent. I agree that doing my things to take my mind off of the cravings helps and sometimes they do go away. Also, now that I have some known food allergies, I have to pick and choose which foods I can eat, perhaps my body will become more accustomed to the different foods by trial and error. I don't bring much home that is triggering but I do allow myself to indulge sometimes, as long as it's not too much. I hope that is helpful.

Take care. You'll get through this, keep at it.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #6  
ChynaMartin

S/C/G: 220/Ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I find it so hard to stay away from junk food. I will eat very clean for the first part of my day and then break down! I need help!!
Chyna Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

My grocery store sells quart bags of carrots sliced in chips. I cannot tell you how many carrot chips I ate when I was struggling with hunger and cravings. They helped. A lot.

Unfortunately, I am now completely burnt out on them!
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/150.4/125

Height: 5'9"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm so frustrated right now. I can't get past the first few days of eating right, because not indulging in bad foods makes my moods WORSE. I'm still in the process of finding the medication that'll work just right for me, so I'm not totally settled, and on top of that, I'm either unhappy because I hate my weight, or I'm unhappy because I can't eat whatever I want.

Grrr... Personally, I think it helps to know others experience this. I hope it helps you, too.
thevegangoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #9  
AmandaLynn

S/C/G: 164 / SIG / 122

Height: 5'3"

This thread is my thread, I swear. I'm on day four, but technically, day 3, cuz I was way over calories on day one from cheating (cheesecake! UGH!) and it is SO HARD not to just eat something here and there. I miss "munching". I'm about to crush some ice in my blender and start eating that, cuz I'm losing my MIND! Thank you for this thread, it does help to know I'm not the only one that feels like I mustve been eating like 5000 calories a day before I started trying to lose weight. Ugh!

Last edited by ghostly; 04-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.
ghostly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

If I go all day with not eating so bad (this does not include veggies unfortunately) I will usually break down later in the day.

For example, yesterday for breakfast I had scrambled eggs and Morningstar sausage patties; I forgot what was for lunch. Throughout the day, I only had a dark chocolate square for my "sweet". By the end of the day, I had a late dinner: cheese pizza, and I ended up eating some my boyfriend's vanilla & chocolate chip ice cream even though I wanted something even more tasty to me! The only reason I had that was because I had no money at the time.

At one point I was accustomed to getting a caramel latte at Starbucks AND a berry bliss bar. If not there, then I would like go to Mcdonald's and get a Sweet Tea and Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Lately I have been addicted to those Smart One's Delights, but they end up making my stomach hurt because of all the artificial stuff I suppose.

It can be hard to retrain your brain to depend on something else to make you feel better. I'm a picky eater, so it's hard to find healthier alternatives. Perhaps it does just take one step at a time. I guess you can't always go cold turkey on these things.

Satiety might also change with different medications as well. For now, lots of protein in a shake with artificially flavored yogurt (such as key lime, banana creme pie, etc.) helps a little, but I use those shakes for a whole meal and not necessarily snacks.
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote