Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default People ask how you do it?

More and more people are asking me how I am losing weight.

To be honest, I feel reluctant to tell them so I am deliberately vague. There's a little bit of shame but it's mostly because I don't want people picking apart what works for me, especially to my face (I don't care so much if you guys do that!).

Part of me thinks I am not being fair because people are showing a genuine interest.

Any tips on what to say? Should I just come clean and spill the dirty deets?
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I find that people don't really want a long, detailed answer. I usually say something to the effect of, "You know, healthy food, exercise. Nothing fancy." People make some comment back like, "Oh, the old fashioned way." Or, "Good for you!" And so ends the discussion.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

For the ones who are genuinely interested and you know you can trust them to not pick apart your approach, just tell them what you're doing as long as you're comfortable doing so (and if not, what are you doing to make you so uncomfortable). If you're not comfortable with answering the question, just answering with counting calories and exercising. Regardless of which diet approach any of us are using, there's an element of calorie reduction and exercising involved.

This question doesn't bother me with people that I know are friends and are trying to learn from my approach. But to have an acquaintance ask -- I always wonder if the next question will be what's you favorite sex position.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I literally tell people "I ate a lot less", which is totally true, but obviously vague. When I first started losing I would go into more detail but found people would argue with me -- got annoying real quick!!!

There are a few people who I have shared more with, but not many. Because people typically really don't want to know for real, unless you're going to tell them you take a magic pill, never exercise, and eat tons of pizza and ice cream all day long.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

when I get a comment on that I've lost weight I just smile and say "thanks"...ive never been asked straight up HOW I've lost weight but I suppose I would be equally vague...oh! I did have someone at the school ask me how I've lost weight once and I said "I like to do some running" and she looked at me like i'd gone crazy and said something like "oh I could never do that" like it's impossible
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

In my experience people want your magic weight loss pill secret. When they find out there is no secret, they get annoyed. I can't tell you how many times I've had this conversation:

"What have you been doing?!"
"I eat low carb, have a cheat day once a week and exercise."
"OH GOD. I COULD NEVER DO THAT/DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT. I wish I could lose weight."

People don't like hearing that there is no magic pill.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Yeah - it seems like every time I am asked and start to talk about eating right and exercising the eyes start to glaze over and they look for a reason to end the conversation. If I can't say "a magic pill" no one wants to hear it.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/250/140

Height: 5' 3"

I think most genuine people are looking for guidance. Everyone on this site is here for the same reason. I don't think that anyone should every criticize what people are doing to better themselves, unless maybe they are a certified doctor. In which case, they probably wouldn't need the advice.

I would absolutely love for you or LockItUp to share your secrets with me. I promise I would not criticize. I personally have been in such a funk with this whole weight loss, that I am on the verge of giving up. I am the type of person who needs step by step, hold my hand and walk me through it guidance.
emid78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by emid78 View Post
I think most genuine people are looking for guidance. Everyone on this site is here for the same reason. I don't think that anyone should every criticize what people are doing to better themselves, unless maybe they are a certified doctor. In which case, they probably wouldn't need the advice.

I would absolutely love for you or LockItUp to share your secrets with me. I promise I would not criticize. I personally have been in such a funk with this whole weight loss, that I am on the verge of giving up. I am the type of person who needs step by step, hold my hand and walk me through it guidance.
Oh gosh, I'm talking about people in real life. Here is a TOTALLY different story!!! Here I'm MORE than happy to share! I think most people's comments on this thread are speaking about people in real life!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #10  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

People have commented on my weight loss but don't usually ask me how. When they do ask I usually say something like "I just watch what I eat" or "Eating right" or "Eating less." No one has pressed me for further details.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by emid78 View Post

I personally have been in such a funk with this whole weight loss, that I am on the verge of giving up. I am the type of person who needs step by step, hold my hand and walk me through it guidance.
Emid, I know exactly how you feel...

The problem with "step by step, hold my hand and walk me through guidance" is that, even though it will likely get the weight off initially, it's likely to come back if it's not something you have internalized.

That's why you so often hear the term "way of eating" or "lifestyle change" as opposed to diet. Diet, as others have said, signals a temporary change - something that one day will be over.

I personally don't believe you have to give up any of your favorite foods in order to lose weight. I don't think you have to go hungry in order to lose weight. And I don't think you have to eat any certain way in order to lose weight. But I do think you have to learn to think differently about food and its place in your life.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #12  
love machine!

S/C/G: 167/130.2/120

Yea, i usually say "a lot of hard work and nutrition" and people say ".......cool."
om namah shivaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #13  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

I was just approached this last night while I was scrapbooking with the girls. One girl commented on my weight loss and asked what I'm up to now I told her she said good for you and ended it. Then another girl I don't know very well said how are you doing it? I told her my speal and she was well, that's way too little calories, I bet your not getting enough protien in there and so on. I couldn't believe it. I have never had anyone do that and I told her I do what works for me and you do what works for you. Got it? lol.. It's definetely a hard one though especially when it's at a time your not really prepared for.
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daki View Post
In my experience people want your magic weight loss pill secret. When they find out there is no secret, they get annoyed. I can't tell you how many times I've had this conversation:

"What have you been doing?!"
"I eat low carb, have a cheat day once a week and exercise."
"OH GOD. I COULD NEVER DO THAT/DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT. I wish I could lose weight."

People don't like hearing that there is no magic pill.
EXACTLY! Especially your conversation

Whenever people ask what you did to lose weight, and then follow it up with "Oh I could NEVER do that," they are simply looking for validation of their own decision to remain overweight. You're right - they want you to say that you've added some kiwi fruit to your normal daily intake and the pounds magically disappeared!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I do IF, so that is why I am worried to tell people. It is nuts but it so works for me because I am never hungry for dinner.

Last edited by IanG; 04-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote