Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:25 AM   #1  

Default Difference between Induction and the first two weeks

Hello everyone,

I was reading some other threads this morning and a question popped into my head.

What is the difference between Induction and the first two weeks. Is there one? I have been doing Atkins for 4 weeks now and plan on staying in Induction until I lose the amount I want. But I do want to add some things, like the LaTortilla Factory tortillas and some nuts.

Please tell me you don't have to eat like the first two weeks until you lose the weight! I need more variety so I am hoping that this will be ok.

Thanks
Jane
Old 10-13-2003, 12:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Dr. Atkins *strongly* recommends staying on induction for at least two weeks. After that, it is a matter of choice. If you have a lot of weight to lose or are looking to lose it faster then staying on induction longer helps.

However, Phase 2 (OWL) allows a lot more food choices and I've found it a lot easeir to stick with. My target is 20-40 g of carbs a day and I have nuts, berries, and some low-carb helpers like the LC tortillas.

The first two weeks on induction are to shock your body into ketosis and show some quick results. After that, you can choose to stay at 20 g/day or increase it to your CCLL (critical carbohydrate level for losing).
Old 10-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I agree with Kim, its all a mater of choice. I'm like you Jane, I need flavor and variety in my diet or I get seriously BORED! I do however keep my carbs at 20 - 25.

I try to stay away from the bars and lc sweets because they tend to give me cravings like b/4 I was on Atkins, I am like a raving bull when I eat that stuff.

I think its kinda fun being able to introduce new things to the diet SLOWLY!!!

One day at a time
Old 10-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #4  

Dr. Atkins suggests the third week adding 5 carbs per day so your are 25 carbs or less, the fourth week another 5 carbs per day so your carbs are 30. Continue doing this until you stop losing weight. This is the process of finding out what your best daily carb limit should be.

I too try and stay below the 20, even with adding berries, tortilla shells etc.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #5  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Talking we're all in the same boat....

Hey Jane. Induction is supposed to be followed rigidly and only the allowed foods are eaten. Unfortunately that means no LaTortilla factory products or nuts, berries etc. I have been on induction since Sept 1 and if I find myself wanting to stray, I then give into a low carb product such as the tortillas you are talking about. (I keep them frozen) My limit is still under 20 grams I would expect but I don't count them, I just follow the allowed foods. I figure it is alot worse if I have full carb foods and go out of ketosis than have a splurge to an occasional low carb product. By now I also know how some of the Atkins products affect my weighins and even though some are reccommended for induction; I use them sparingly also. Thanks for the zuccinni pancakes recipie, I took your advice and only used 1 egg.
Closed Thread