Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #1  
Chuggin' along...

Default Where to Find Summer Capris/Bottoms for Ladies with Curves on the Bottom?

Hi all,
I'm trying to find some good size 10 bottoms for summer in Florida for casual but not too casual wear, like capris, and will flatter me. Unfortunately summer in Florida is too hot and humid to live in jeans. I carry my fat on my bottom half and have large hips, thighs, and really wide calves. I have bought bermuda shorts in the past that end just above the knee but then seen pictures of me in them and they aren't flattering. I have liked capris in the the past, and think the ones that look best on me fall about two inches below my knee, and are not too tight (like a straight-legged capri - does that make sense) - thus not cutting off my leg at the widest point of my calf (based on the theory according to Stacy & Clinton if your capris/skirts cut off at a wide point in your leg, it makes you look wider). In the past I seemed to have more luck but maybe it's with all the trends for skinny jeans I can't find anything that's not skin-tight and really close cut, which is just not flattering to my body type. (When I buy jeans, straight-legged really look best on me.)

Does anyone have any ideas of a) stores/brands I might try or b) particular things to look for that might flatter my shape? Types of pants I'm not thinking of? A particular word/cut to look for in description? I live almost 2 hours from a city with clothing shops I can afford, so I would like to have some ideas of stores to try before I get there, rather than wandering around aimlessly and driving another 2 hours home.

I should say I'm fine with wearing shorts that end somewhere mid-hip, but am looking for something a little nicer here. I have a few sundresses - perhaps I will just live in those, but would like some pant options. Full pants just seem so hot at 90 degrees and 100% humidity.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions all!

Last edited by Megan1982; 04-01-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I think what you're referring to in capris have a sub category of "pedal pushers" you might want to use that term when searching online.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Sometimes you can find boot cut capris or cropped pants.

These look like they flare a tiny bit at the hem - http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/...pierson-capris

These say they are straight leg - http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-121...leg-capris.jsp

A quick poke around online looks like skinny crops and cropped leggings are everywhere this year, but there are some looser leg styles out there. A lot of them look very casual, but the 2 I linked look a little more polished. Good luck!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I love love love capris because I do not wear shorts, I hate my lumpy thighs way too much to show them or my knees. But I always hear from make over shows that capris make you look short and it worries me because cropped pants are the only way I can not suffer from the heat in the summer time. I go for it anyway.

The key is to make sure you're wearing a heel to make your calves look slimmer. A nice summery wedge should do it!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

Ooh, Vex, "pedal pushers". I wasn't considering that keyword, thanks for the tip.

Riddy, thanks for the link. There are Kohl's and Bealle's in the city near me, so I will definitely go to them on my next shopping trip. I particularly like the Bealls capris you linked to. They do look very polished, yet still casual.

Wannabe, I have the same worries, but like you, in the summer I don't really care when it's that hot and humid out. A sandal with a little wedge is definitely something to look for. Good idea, thanks!

Trip, I don't have a Saks nearby but we do have Nordstrom's. I admit I haven't shopped there much (my Mom raised me on Macy's and JCPenny) but I will check it out.

Someone also suggested Old Navy to me because they offer shorts etc in so many different lengths. I steer away bc of past experiences with poor construction, but I think I'll check. At least if I find something and they do fall apart, I won't have paid much, and I do know how to reinforce a seam myself.

Thanks for the suggestions all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #6  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I buy Lee brand capris from Walmart. I've found some that have a normal waist, are a little wider in the thighs, and taper in slightly at the bottom, but they're not skin tight. I don't remember the exact style, but I have 3 pairs of them in different shades of denim and they were $14 each last year.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote